SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2018 challenger HC last summer and I've been loving it. My current best 0-60 is 3.5 on crappy streets. Fastest I've taken the car 140 for a few seconds. Anywho, I finally got a chance to get some track time on July 7th in Atco, NJ. This will be my first experience with drag racing. I bought me a $400 helmet and I'm ready to go. Only problem is I'm nervous. I was pretty wild and brave in my younger days, but at 51 I can't seem to shake this little fear thing I have going. Maybe it's because I'm afraid of being embarrassed or maybe I'm afraid of being hurt. I don't know. Any thoughts to overcome this? Am I alone in this feeling for first time racers? Advice?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,037 Posts
Don't be embarrassed, Take your time and have fun. Most (NOT ALL) racers are good people with good hearts and are always happy to give out pointers. Don't go there chasing times since it's your first outing. Go and get the experience first, the rest can come later. On the launch don't just smash the gas, ease into it and then let it rip. Hopefully you have some good drag radials, that helps a whole lot. Stay focused and pay attention to how the car is reacting, listen to what it's telling you and make adjustments as you get better. Again, the main goal is to gave fun and learn. Just remember, it's addicting :). I'm older than you and still have a blast when I go. The youngsters are fun to watch and go up against, the older middle aged guys have the knowledge and can make less horsepower cars go faster time wise. Again, DON"T BE NERVOUS.... Picture the runs in your head and again pay attention to what your car is telling you. Watch a few videos and get the basics on what most HC people are doing launch wise at the track. Have fun and be safe!!!

·
Registered
In The Market
444 Posts
Some of it is excitement. I have been racing for more then 30 years and took my Hellcat out last weekend for the 1st time (bought it a month ago) and had all kinds of stuff going on emotionally. You are excited and hoping it will run a good number and making sure it is in the right mode so you can be worked up. After I go in a new car and make some runs I relax and get used to it. I go just to get personal bests so I want good DA and pretty much only go in the spring and fall when the air is cool

So go and get your feet wet and don't expect killer times in July since it will probably be warm. Get use to the car and make a few trips to the track then make sure you get there in the fall for some personal best times

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,991 Posts
What Drag radials will you be using and if you have any mods installed?

I love ATCO it's the track I was at when I had my best Stock ET 10.88 after many runs at Cecil County.

BTW you will also need a Race Jacket.

Linda :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,209 Posts
All solid advice . I get the jitter overtime I go too but that goes away after the first pass . Then it's just pure adrenaline the rest of the day . You are there for yourself so it doesn't matter who else is there or in the next lane . Take baby steps . And most importantly report back here to us on how it goes .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,180 Posts
I road raced motorcycles for a long time and that never went away. The nervousness the day of racing and especially the moments before the races were always the most nervous. Had to pee ten times in ten minutes from it every time lol. It’s part of it and let’s you know youre alive. Nothing quite like it. After the first lap it would go away unless a race win was on the line and i was fighting for a win. Then it was that way the whole race lol. Drag racing doesnt quite give you that time to settle down but i would imagine it’s still similar. I havent done it.

Reactions: Brock

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,795 Posts
You won't be next Don Garlits (which shows you how long ago I followed drag racing...) so just relax. Learn the routine, the process.

And learn the car.

After a run make notes on tire pressure, launch RPM, etc.

I found when I raced -- motorcycles -- having the motorcycle prepped properly helped ease my mind.

In this vein show up at the track with fresh engine oil/filter. Do the oil/filter service a few days prior.

Be sure the cabin is free of junk. You do not want something banging around in the cabin or trunk at launch time or any time down the track. Distracting.

And if this something in the cabin happens to get between the brake pedal and carpet? Dangerous.

Fill the tank with fresh 93 if available. Or if the track has unleaded "race" gasoline add some of that to what you have in the tank. I would not try to cut the fuel amount too close. A few extra gallons of gas is not going to keep you off the podium. But it might have you having to be towed off the starting line if the car runs out of gas.

Stay hydrated. Bring plenty of water. Bring some protein snacks or a bag or two of nuts to keep the hunger pains away. IF possible have a wife/GF or buddy go with you and in a 2nd car which you can use to securely store snacks, water, cell phone, etc., to keep this stuff out of your car. (Put all these in the trunk to keep these out of sight to someone walking by the car.)

Watch cars similar to yours and see if you can learn anything: What to do or what not to do.

·
Registered
In The Market
449 Posts
Have fun. Leave on the last yellow. I’d be more concerned about not being able to push the car in neutral with the engine off while queueing up. Multiple restarts in hot conditions. Get good advice like on here.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What Drag radials will you be using and if you have any mods installed?

I love ATCO it's the track I was at when I had my best Stock ET 10.88 after many runs at Cecil County.

BTW you will also need a Race Jacket.

Linda :)
I got mixed info on whether I needed a jacket or not. Thought I'd rent one or if I could find one that doesn't break the bank. I didn't want to rent a helmet for obvious reasons.

My mods;

• HR5 9.5" 275 Nitto 555 G2's on front
  • HR5 10.5" 305 Nitto 555R's on rear
  • Petty's Garage front and rear strut/shock tower braces
  • Speedlogix weld on sub-frame connectors
  • Per4Mance standard differential brace
  • LMI CAI
  • UPR catch can fender mount
  • UPR breather
  • Barton automatic pistol grip shifter
  • Z Automotive Tazer (line lock)
  • ABD fuel door, center caps and badges
I think that's about it other than some PPF and Opti-Coat Pro+ ceramic coating. Bought the car with 12 miles on it last summer. Got about 5k on it now. I didn't want to get into chasing horsepower since this really isn't my main hobby. I'm down in the Chalfont area if you ever see a destroyer grey Challenger HC. :)

Thanks for the help everyone! It means a lot!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
135 Posts
I've got plenty of insurance. Thanks.
You have on-track insurance? 99% of insurance companies to my knowledge will not cover anything when a car touches the strip or race track. Just be careful! Have fun out there. Going to be a blast.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have on-track insurance? 99% of insurance companies to my knowledge will not cover anything when a car touches the strip or race track. Just be careful! Have fun out there. Going to be a blast.
I'll call my agent tomorrow. I just need it for the day. I have all kinds of insurance and a large umbrella policy. I'll make sure I'm covered.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
5,752 Posts
I'll call my agent tomorrow. I just need it for the day. I have all kinds of insurance and a large umbrella policy. I'll make sure I'm covered.
Unless you buy a special race track policy, they won't help you. Normal insurance policies are useless on the track and many even in the pits. One reason why I stay off the track these days. And that on-track coverage is not cheap but so is wrecking without it. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd decide on, and run through your staging procedure a couple dozen times in an empty parking lot before you go. Especially if you plan on using line lock/launch control. You're first few times, especially being nervous, it'll be easy to forget a step or two. Write it down on a small card and pin it to your sun visor if need be.
1: drive around and back into water box
2: pull just out of water box
3: traction control completely off
4: burnout
5:ease up and prestage
6: check modes
7: stage
8: line lock
9:launch control
10: go.
Something like that. But........you'll be better off foot braking for a while. Running through all the modes and line lock/launch control at the tree could easily get confusing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't had much luck with launch control. I was thinking just launching old school.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,359 Posts
I feel you! I bought an M6 because I love manuals with no intention of taking it to the track. Now it peaks my interest a bit. Definitely understand those jitters. Not sure if I don't want to make HC's look bad or just look like a moron out there. I do agree with @Enigma before I attempted I'd find a remote area where I can practice a bit and felt more confident to the point I didn't have those feelings.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts