SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to predict the possible implications of this impending strike after Friday? As far as I'm aware, all Brampton car's are brought in by rail...(correct me if Im wrong). I can see how this can cause massive issues really quickly.

Especially since my cat left the factory Sep. 1st and is awaiting transport, I am extremely concerned right about now...

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,738 Posts
im waiting for a bronco and ford has already started delaying releasing new vehicles to the rail yards in anticipation of the strike

· Registered
401 Posts
A rail strike would effect all freight. As a ex longshoreman in long beach, can, most freight goes via rail from the docks.

If the cars leave the plant via truck to a rail yard, yeah it would slow things down a lot. However, source material shipped via rail would cause more issues.

You have to support the union though. Those folks need to eat as well. With inflation the way it is, I would expect more strikes in the future.

· Banned
210 Posts
Last year BNSF net income was 8.8 billion...They could give every worker a 125k raise and still keep half. instead, they chose to cut sick days. Greedy corps can longer expect to get away with crapping on the people who make them money.
You do realize rail workers are already highly compensated. This is not about corporations and 100% about greedy, entitled unions and their members. Need to get loyal employees to leave the union and cross the picket line.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
616 Posts
Mixed emotions here. I've managed a plant as well as the Midwest for the company I retired from. Been in many union negotiations over the years and seen all types of bad behavior on both sides. The company I spent 36 years with went through 2 reorganization bankruptcies and finally a chapter 7. A union strike finally ended it for the company after salaried and union workers were basically forced to take pay cuts to help the company come out of bankruptcy. Company discontinued pension contributions to the Union also but claimed to plan on giving them all back the withheld monies when they became profitable again. Total BS. Behind the scenes, the CEO and a few executives got the Board of Directors to sign off on giving them huge pay increases ranging from 50% to more than 100% of their salaries and thought they could cloak it. Wrong. The Union found out and said F it and went on strike. That ended any possibility of the company becoming the once great company that it had been before both sides lost their minds. The CEO actually stopped by my office and said "can you believe all the uproar over this?"....He resigned and resurfaced as another CEO somewhere else. Bad taste in my mouth about the companies ethics that virtually cost almost 20,000 employees their jobs. I have mixed emotions too about Unions, but there is no denying that they are going to seize the opportunity during an economy that has a shortage of potential employees willing to actually show up and work. If I were on that side of the fence, I'd be opportunistic as well. I can't speak to the leadership at the railroads but there are always 2 sides to most conflicts. I do admire the companies that have been proactive in taking care of their employees and the employees haven't felt the need to unionize. Not a lot of those out there but Costco is one example.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts