SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting forever for this truck I get it today take it on a drive and it breaks down! Oil everywhere!!!

·
Super Moderator
Jeep GC Trackhawk
2,464 Posts
Well that definitely sucks!

Hopefully FCA and/or the Dealership fix the issue pronto.

You should contact Kathryn at Ram Cares - click on link and go to post #133. Send her a PM:

·
Registered
In The Market
24 Posts
There has been so many issues at delivery there is a customer created issue/secondary PDI list, that purchasers are giving their dealers to do during the Chrysler/Ram PDI. Ram dealers have seen there have been so many issues at/immediately following delivery, most have agreed to do it. Plus selling a vehicle that costs $70-100k it should be right, there is no excuse for the issues. So in the end this shouldn't even be a subject that is being discussed.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
108 Posts
There is no excuse for the recurring issues that seem to be plaguing the TRX, but driving a brand new vehicle at constant highway speeds of 80 MPH for an extended time period is just about the worst way to break-in an engine.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,532 Posts
Oil or trans fluid?
My Redeye had a trans cooler line pop off at 1200 miles due to improper installation at the factory. Was never seated correctly. Made quite a mess. Just a thought.
Edit:
After watching the vid mine was a lot worse than yours. Yours could be a fitting at an oil cooler though. These engines are broken in at the factory and so I highly doubt your leak is at the engine itself. QC at the factory has been really bad lately. Doesnt make it a piece of shit though lol. Just means the people are slacking.

·
Registered
In The Market
24 Posts
If I remember correctly there is a guy on the TRX forum that had a similar issue to what the OP is showing, and it was that the oil cooler lines were never tightened at the factory.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
If I remember correctly there is a guy on the TRX forum that had a similar issue to what the OP is showing, and it was that the oil cooler lines were never tightened at the factory.
Not just TRX or just oil coolers either. See my post right above yours. I think FCA has a cooler tightening issue in general.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is no excuse for the recurring issues that seem to be plaguing the TRX, but driving a brand new vehicle at constant highway speeds of 80 MPH for an extended time period is just about the worst way to break-in an engine.
It may not have had anything to do with it but, man 80 mph brand new? It doesn't matter what the speed limit is I would have broke it in properly after spending that much jack on a ride. Right?

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
It may not have had anything to do with it but, man 80 mph brand new? It doesn't matter what the speed limit is I would have broke it in properly after spending that much jack on a ride. Right?
That isnt going to do anything bad as long as it’s not being stomped on and shocking the drivetrain, and certainly isnt going to cause an oil leak. The engine itself is broken in at the factory.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
That isnt going to do anything bad as long as it’s not being stomped on and shocking the drivetrain, and certainly isnt going to cause an oil leak. The engine itself is broken in at the factory.
Broken in at the factory? Never heard of this. I'm sure they start it and hook a diag up to it to make sure it's running OK, but I doubt they put hundreds of simulated miles on it to break it I'm.

As for the OP, man, that sucks. I hope it's something minor like an oil or trans fluid line.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
Broken in at the factory? Never heard of this.
I've heard of it. Which makes me wonder why the owners manual has break-in instructions, apparently aimed primarily at the engine.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Break-in is for the drive train. Trans, diff, etc. Theyre looking for that so as to not shock the gears and clutches so they can mesh well. It’s not so much the speed as the harsh shifts getting there. If someone is stomping it thats not good.
Broken in at the factory? Never heard of this. I'm sure they start it and hook a diag up to it to make sure it's running OK, but I doubt they put hundreds of simulated miles on it to break it I'm.
45 minutes on the dyno unless something has changed.

Reactions: Vezconsumer

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
Break-in is for the drive train. Trans, diff, etc.
If that's what it's for, why do they stress to keep varying the rpm? Sounds like normal engine break-in to me.
Meanwhile, limiting top speeds, which obviously help everything behind the engine.

Reactions: MyRedEyeHellcat

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
If that's what it's for, why do they stress to keep varying the rpm? Sounds like normal engine break-in to me.
Meanwhile, limiting top speeds, which obviously help everything behind the engine.
Good point. Engine is broken in for 45 mins at the factory but varying the rpm's has always been for proper valve seating I thought too. Maybe it's a two step process. I know I've read something in the past on this exact thing but can't remember now. Time to re-do the research.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
716 Posts
Good point. Engine is broken in for 45 mins at the factory but varying the rpm's has always been for proper valve seating I thought too. Maybe it's a two step process. I know I've read something in the past on this exact thing but can't remember now. Time to re-do the research.
Keep in mind that said factory is in MEXICO. As we all know, the Mexicans have a world renowned reputation for high quality, precision engineering.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Keep in mind that said factory is in MEXICO. As we all know, the Mexicans have a world renowned reputation for high quality, precision engineering.
😂

Reactions: cuda kid

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
This thread is just another reminder of why I take new (and used) vehicles off the trailer and immediately put them on the lift. That way I can check all the fluids, check fasteners, etc.
Then the painful break-in driving can begin.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts