SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the RAVELCO anti theft device system for their Hellcat? Just looking for something when I am away from home and away from my garage. I have done the RFH update. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have an installed scheduled for July. Haven't heard any negatives about it. Saw a thread earlier in here when a guy had a code pop up after a Ravelco install. They were working it out with Ravelco but haven't heard if everything is right.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,538 Posts
Has anyone used the RAVELCO anti theft device system for their Hellcat? Just looking for something when I am away from home and away from my garage. I have done the RFH update. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry
If you had the security update done on the RF hub lockout why would you need the Ravelco? My understanding is both achieve the same thing.
TSB 08-087-22

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you had the security update done on the RF hub lockout why would you need the Ravelco? My understanding is both achieve the same thing.
TSB 08-087-22

The RF hub lockout only disables key fob duplication. The Ravelco is an immobilizer, i.e., unless you have the plug installed, the car will not start.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,538 Posts
The RF hub lockout only disables key fob duplication. The Ravelco is an immobilizer, i.e., unless you have the plug installed, the car will not start.
How do you start a Hellcat without the key fob other than hacking the RF hub? You can pm me if sensitive info..

·
Registered
113 Posts
How do you start a Hellcat without the key fob other than hacking the RF hub? You can pm me if sensitive info..

With the RF hub lockout, you cannot make additional key fobs. The ones you have will work once you lockout the hub but you can't make anymore if you lose your fobs. You would have to have the RF hub replaced to make additional key fobs. AFAIK, you can't start the car without the key fob.

The reason for the hub lockout is that thieves were breaking into the car and accessing a laptop port behind the glove box. With the correct software, they were able to duplicate keys using this method. Now, supposedly, with the hub locked out, this method no longer works. Although I've heard there is a way to defeat this but don't know the details.

The Ravelco immobilizer installs additional wiring in the car and gives you a plug port somewhere on the interior drivers side. Unless you have the matching plug for the plug port, the car will not start with the key fob.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Thanks,
Larry
I have it on two vehicles. My super stock and Durango. Install is clean, no issues. Both installed in 5 hours total. As a person in IT I never trust software updates - I prefer physical solutions where possible. For me it was 450$ per car installed. For what I paid on the vehicles - that’s a rounding error. I will take a broken window and a car over an empty parking space and a pile of glass. Have had the products for over a year…still positive on the product.

Product Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Document

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,538 Posts
With the RF hub lockout, you cannot make additional key fobs. The ones you have will work once you lockout the hub but you can't make anymore if you lose your fobs. You would have to have the RF hub replaced to make additional key fobs. AFAIK, you can't start the car without the key fob.

The reason for the hub lockout is that thieves were breaking into the car and accessing a laptop port behind the glove box. With the correct software, they were able to duplicate keys using this method. Now, supposedly, with the hub locked out, this method no longer works. Although I've heard there is a way to defeat this but don't know the details.

The Ravelco immobilizer installs additional wiring in the car and gives you a plug port somewhere on the interior drivers side. Unless you have the matching plug for the plug port, the car will not start with the key fob.
I've got 2 extra FOB's coming to be programmed when I take my Cat in for the security update. That and the plate covering the manual pull strap for putting the car in neutral is good enough for me.

·
Registered
314 Posts

Mostly correct.

>AFAIK, you can't start the car without the key fob.
There are electronic boxes that can mimic nearby fobs. The box reads the code from the owner's fob and can then
unlock and start the car all while only emulating the original fob. So it is possible to start the car without a fob.

The Ravelco will protect against everything except the car being pushed or towed away.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I can’t believe there isn’t a NYC office at Ravelco. I just took delivery of my JB last weekend and don’t want to take any chances, but it looks like I’ll have to go to Jersey to get this install done. Still well worth it, in my opinion.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’m about 45 miles west of St. Louis.

My Chicago Ravelco franchise owner/installer met me midway at a motel in Bloomington, Illinois. Great and knowledgeable guy! 👍

I was worried about the 2020 SPWB on the motel lot the night before, but I took every security precaution I could. And my room was directly over the car. Among other things, I had a portable GPS to cell phone activator in place.

AMERICALOC GL300 GPS Tracker MXW https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0197FV8YU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

With motel approval, the installer met me at 10 AM the next morning. Perfectly fine day, and work was done well away from the main entrance. I was careful to explain to the motel manager that this was a “clean electronic install.” No fluids, parts dismantled, etc.

Drove away about 1 PM, with a big smile.

About a 300 mile round trip, and enjoyed every mile.

Except those nuts on I-55 that kept wanting to race! 🤠

·
Registered
113 Posts
I live in North Carolina and had mine done a couple of weeks ago. The guy that did it, Chuck Wigham, lives in New York and travels the east coast/Mid-Atlantic area doing the installs. He came to my house in NC to do the install and it took about 3 hours. It sounded like he was gonna be in NC for that week as he said he had other installs to do in the state. Contact him on the Ravelco website.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Citrus90 where in Jersey did you get it done?
i am getting the biggest run around on a missing key issue, security update (2020), RFH lock down, etc. bought a used Hcat and had no idea they are supposed to come with 2 red keys, it only has 1 red. Dealeeshi* is aaying that is part of the risk of buying a used car blah blah blah So this
I live in North Carolina and had mine done a couple of weeks ago. The guy that did it, Chuck Wigham, lives in New York and travels the east coast/Mid-Atlantic area doing the installs. He came to my house in NC to do the install and it took about 3 hours. It sounded like he was gonna be in NC for that week as he said he had other installs to do in the state. Contact him on the Ravelco website.
thank you for the info! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had Chuck and Meagan come down to Charleston SC to do one on my TRX back on July 27th. They were in Cornelius NC the day before, then after mine, they did one in Raleigh and then one in Elizabeth City. They were total pros, and friendly down to earth people. Total peace of mind now with the Ravelco installed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had Chuck and Meagan come down to Charleston SC to do one on my TRX back on July 27th. They were in Cornelius NC the day before, then after mine, they did one in Raleigh and then one in Elizabeth City. They were total pros, and friendly down to earth people. Total peace of mind now with the Ravelco installed.
They did mine on the 26 July. They were great to deal with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts