SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I purchased a HC, Redeye, Jailbreak that someone else ordered from a dealer and then backed out. So, in looking at the options he selected, I don’t see where he selected the option for the 3.09 gears. How do I know what gear ratio I have?
Second, if I’m looking at changing gears, would the 3.90 ratio be better.

·
Registered
'19 Challenger Redeye
1,285 Posts
First off, I purchased a HC, Redeye, Jailbreak that someone else ordered from a dealer and then backed out. So, in looking at the options he selected, I don’t see where he selected the option for the 3.09 gears. How do I know what gear ratio I have?
Second, if I’m looking at changing gears, would the 3.90 ratio be better.
Chances are it has the 2.62 rear in it since it doesn't show as an option on the window sticker. If you want to be sure, just jack the car up and there should still be a part# sticker on the center section....

- There's already numerous posts and opinions as to which is "better", the 2.62 or 3.09 ratios. The 3.90 ratio is M6 only from the factory I believe...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chances are it has the 2.62 rear in it since it doesn't show as an option on the window sticker. If you want to be sure, just jack the car up and there should still be a part# sticker on the center section....

- There's already numerous posts and opinions as to which is "better", the 2.62 or 3.09 ratios. The 3.90 ratio is M6 only from the factory I believe...
Thanks! I’ll check it out. I had a HC a few years ago with the upgraded ratio. I was hoping to feel more from the added 100hp, and it didn’t seem much different.

·
Registered
‘16 Challenger
891 Posts
My car has less power, a taller tire, 309’s, and I cannot imagine anything lower working any better

Are you gonna run drag radials? They require dead hook at at hit so lower MIGHT help, might not…

Lower gear will decrease initial wheel speed (which will help) but will also help the converter multiply yer already massive torque number (which will hurt). Dunno 🤔

If it doesn’t dead hook at the hit you can forget about it… It’s a wrap

·
Premium Member
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
2,347 Posts
I specifically opted for the 2.62. A local guy with a Charger (non-RE) with a 2.62 did low 10's, and 203 in the 1.5-mile, there are numerous posts about this. I strongly suggest you drive the 2.62 a while to determine if you really think you need a 3.09. There are also many posts by people that did a 2.62-3.09 swap and are uncertain about it. It is possible the software in your car might be for the specific rear.

Edit: His Charger was lightly modified.

·
Registered
‘16 Challenger
891 Posts
I've always had 2.62s with my Hellcats then I had a scat pack with 3.09 and I enjoyed it more. That's why I got the 3.09 option on my RE. It always seems to be in the right gear.
Trans tune slash drive mode chosen keeps mine in the right gear ; )

My rear tires have 4” more rollout per revolution than oem so effectively it’s like having oem rollout and maybe a 2.85:1 gear?

Kinda gotta know what tire yer gonna run before picking a ratio

·
Registered
‘16 Challenger
891 Posts
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Sky Plant

Which wheels makes no difference…

Tire circumstance (roll out)

Something you prolly didn’t even measure yet or consider

Which is ok. Cuz yer new : )

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,060 Posts
Yep, I have the 3.70 in my car with the a8. Thing moves itself!
First and second gear must be next to useless with a 3.70 gear in there .. i found with a 3.09 and a 28 install tire that 1 was almost useless i can't imagine the 3.70"s lol

Sent from my Armor 8 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,060 Posts
View attachment 594373

Which wheels makes no difference…

Tire circumstance (roll out)

Something you prolly didn’t even measure yet or consider

Which is ok. Cuz yer new : )
I agree with the diameter of the tire helping to determine the gear ratio . I found the 3.09's and a 28 inch tall tire not a good combo .. i have now stepped up to a 29.4 inch tall tire and i find it too much for the 2.62's so I'm looking at going to a 3.09 now .

·
Registered
‘16 Challenger
891 Posts
Not a lot of options with the oem rear end. No 3.23 or 3.54 ratios

Going from 3.09 to 3.70 is a huge jump

All ya can do is play with the rollout

·
Registered
‘16 Challenger
891 Posts
First and second gear must be next to useless with a 3.70 gear in there .. i found with a 3.09 and a 28 install tire that 1 was almost useless i can't imagine the 3.70"s lol
3.70 is prolly perfect for a medium hp a8 car and a 33” tall tire

Too bad Mickey quit making those. I did see they still have 3880 fronts listed on their site tho. Maybe they will do a run of them this year? It’s been a while…

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
11,445 Posts
I've had both. 3.09's are a lot more fun on the street.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,060 Posts
3.70 is prolly perfect for a medium hp a8 car and a 33” tall tire

Too bad Mickey quit making those. I did see they still have 3880 fronts listed on their site tho. Maybe they will do a run of them this year? It’s been a while…
WOW .... A 33 inch tall tire .. now that's a tire. Lots of foot print right there .. and here I though the 29.4 inch ( 315/50/17) was a big tire lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts