SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 charger HC I bought used and had 8100miles and now has 11623miles and hear a whine about 40 MPH as I apply throttle. I had a 2016 scat pack charger that also had the same noise and took it to a dealer and all they did was change the gear oil but the noise was still there. Its faint but its there, anyone else have that issue?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
403 Posts
I have a 2019 charger HC I bought used and had 8100miles and now has 11623miles and hear a whine about 40 MPH as I apply throttle. I had a 2016 scat pack charger that also had the same noise and took it to a dealer and all they did was change the gear oil but the noise was still there. Its faint but its there, anyone else have that issue?
You'll find several threads/posts on this topic on here.. most have either switched to the Viper differential fluids or have just complained enough times that they got a new diff.
These cars make diff noise due to backlash and unfortunately per Dodge it's a pretty common thing... these cars just make "some" noise. Honestly, they shouldn't but it's kind of one of those things you either live with or just complain enough until it gets resolved.

Truth of the matter is I believe it's the manufacturer of the differential that's the issue.... as there are some people on here with 2-3-4 diff replacements..

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
914 Posts
Yep, I just noticed my ‘17 with 16,500 miles doing it at the same speed this spring when I got it back out.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,069 Posts
The most common noise is the groaning noise when you turn at slow speeds, that noise can be normally be fixed with a gear oil and additive change.

But the whining noise that occurs as you are going straight and on and off the gas is a defective rear diff and can almost be never cured with a gear oil change.

So you need to complain loudly to your dealer and get him to warranty your diff and swap it out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine has a nice drone to it since new..been through Two gear oil changes and it hasn’t fixed it. I learned to live with it. The only thing it stoped was the low speed turn groan. Other than that it’s the loudest rear diff I’ve had in a car but it is what it is.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,476 Posts
As the miles added up on my 2018 Hellcat the rear diff got noisier. At some speed over the limit it was real bad.

Decided to live with it. Figured if the diff is bad it won't last long and if it fails easier to get the bad diff taken care of vs. a "noisy" diff. ("They all do that.")

But due to a tire puncture at around 13.5K miles had to replace the rear tires. After new tires -- same tires as the old pair of rear tires and the same as the front tires -- the noise was gone. All I had suspected of being a bad diff was just tire noise. And the rear tires were not worn excessively nor unevenly.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
403 Posts
But the whining noise that occurs as you are going straight and on and off the gas is a defective rear diff and can almost be never cured with a gear oil change.

So you need to complain loudly to your dealer and get him to warranty your diff and swap it out.
Per Dodge, it doesn't mean the rear-end is defective, but I do agree with you. It shouldn't do it at all...but since it seems to be common on them, it means its something in the design, not necessarily a "defect".

And as I've said, several have had more than 1 rear diff replaced, so it's more of a lottery than anything else...

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
914 Posts
As far as Viper fluid, my Viper did it, too. Lol And in that car, the diff is right behind you and virtually at ear level. It was quite loud. The Hellcat isn’t anywhere near as noisy, so I would be doing much more than a regular fluid change as long as it doesn’t get substantially worse.

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,790 Posts
It'll either be something as easy as swapping the rear gear oil + the rear gear mopar additive or an issue with the center carrier bearing going bad on the driveshaft. 40-45mph and 70-75mph seemed to be the range for the noise in the past. I had the driveshaft swapped out and good success with Amsoil 75W-90 + the Mopar additive.

I actually just swapped out the rear gear oil this past weekend. Sad that this is a $190+ dealership service when all it takes is about $30 worth of fluid (1-qt bag of Amsoil and 4 oz Mopar additive) and about 20 minutes of time now that Amsoil comes in a squeezer bag.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've been through this on both of my Widebodies 392 and hellcat. 392 had a whine but wasn't to bad, changed oil and it made it slightly better. Hellcat was much worse and very noticeable. Dealer replaced oil, no change, then replaced entire diff.

Loud whine is gone, just has a typical rear end whine for a hellcat now lol

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat MY2018
19 Posts
I got my 3rd diff and it didn't get better. I changed the oil and used additives.
Now I recently installed a DSS shaft and the noise at 40mph is gone, but now a bit louder at 70mph. But I can live with that.

·
FCA Official
Challenger SRT Hellcat
348 Posts
Yep, I just noticed my ‘17 with 16,500 miles doing it at the same speed this spring when I got it back out.
Hi 1st hellcat and SRTCVO,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you’re experiencing. If you decide to address this concern with your certified Dodge dealer, please feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody Redeye
120 Posts
The 4th one was a charm in my 2018 ;)

·
BMF
4,425 Posts
Amsoil severe gear.
Change the oil