SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Rear seat delete parts conversion how to and parts info

4997 35
In case anyone is wondering. You can buy all the rear seat delete parts as a kit or separately. I've done two conversions so far for friends. One car with just the two large seat replacement parts and one car with all the parts. I have some info on this if your interested before laying down cash for parts. The complete kit comes with instructions. Separate "replacement" parts do not.
The Demon has a different lower panel than all other Challengers. Same fit. only a cosmetic difference. ALL other parts are the same.

I weighed everything:

ALL seat parts, belts, and hardware are 55 lbs.
The delete parts are 10 lbs
The package shelf was NOT counted either way because they are the same weight.
You loose 45 lbs total
If you do a partial install by leaving the belts in tucked under the new delete parts for the quick and EZ swap back and forth you loose 38 lbs.

Note that you gain a TON of room back there for extra "stuff" if you like road trips with your pal or mate. Or like me my best friend loves car rides and he now has a ton of room to wag his tail while I smoke tires.
Your exhaust noise is increased slightly.
Looks way cool at the local burger joint on Friday night.
And now you still have a rear seat for your car.

PARTIAL install: If you want to do the quick and EZ and be able to switch back and forth from Seat to seat delete, you would need only the two large seat replacement parts and maybe the small plastic upper retainer. Here's how that goes:
You pull up on the seat bottom and it snaps out. Fold down the rear seats, remove the 18mm bolts and the seats are out. The two new parts snap in. You can leave the belts under the delete and side panels for an easy swap back later. The whole thing takes about 10 minutes.

If you want to use the long plastic seat delete back bracket # 68316996AB it installs with two 6mm bolts into where the seat back retainers are located. Its only $25. The delete parts fit so tight that you can get away with out it though.

FULL install: To do the entire kit is a pain. The problem is the package shelf and trying to NOT scuff or scratch the side panels, or your quarters while getting in and out of the back seat area with large parts 25 times.
. Here's how the full install goes:
Get the set out. Then remove the 3 side panels inside each quarter panel. Note: The instructions with the kit say to pull them out of the way. You can do it that way but you must be soooo careful not to scratch or crack the panels when getting the package shelf out.
Once the side panels are removed or "pulled out of the way" you can unbolt the C pillar and package shelf restraints and fish the belts through the openings. You then remove the package shelf and put in the new one. Reassemble everything and your done. Doing a complete kit will take 2 to 4 hrs depending on your skill level and tools. And you will bust up your knees and back. No kidding...

Hold on primitive Pete! You need a push clip removal tool. Or a Y tool as some call them. You must be very careful when pulling on the side panels to "pop" them off the ONE WAY install clips. Be careful and go slow if your not well versed on these types of trim panels.

Weight does matter if you race. There are people who will say at 4500lds , 50lbs dont matter. YES it does. If your a good enough driver you will see and feel weight differences especially when we talk about 50 lbs off just the front or just the back. I've raced cars all my life. I've had so many of them on the scales and played around with moving and loosing weight in cars for years in a quest for speed. Mopar has light weight parts for only one reason. The car will go faster. Continue looking for ways to cheat weight and will continue going faster.

I have one NEW set of the two large seat delete panels (lower and back) still in the wrappers that I will sell below dealer cost.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
150 Posts
Could you tell me more about the partial swap. I love the look / idea of the rear seat delete but the full kit install is much more "permanent" than I thought. I was hoping to easily be able to put the rear seats back in if needed. Are you saying you can install the bottom piece and backrest replacement pieces AND keep in your OEM trim panels?

If so I'd love to see some pictures of how that all looks / lines up !

· Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that's what I'm saying. You keep everything except the seat bottom and back. The two delete panels replace those. You can tuck the belts behind the delete panels.
You will see a small part of the belt that comes out of the package shelf at the top[ of the rear seat if you dont use the new package shelf. Its very minor in my opinion.
The lower delete part SNAPS in exactly as the lower seat. The back rest part just lays between the side panels and tightly behind the lower panel. The panels fit very tight though and do not move at all. The partial install is very simple. Taking in and out either the seats or just the two delete panels is easy. There are no bad gaps or void looking areas. Dodge did a nice job with these panels. Its a nice factory look when done.

I dont have any pics but I will take a couple tomorrow and try to post by the evening. I'm new here and am not sure about posting pics yet but definitely will try.
You can find pics of the delete panels on line as well

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
150 Posts
Awesome - thanks for the info. That would be great if you have some pictures.

Looks like I need to find the part numbers for those two panels. And do you know if the lower panel comes with the net on it, or is it a separate part number as well ?

· Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome - thanks for the info. That would be great if you have some pictures.

Looks like I need to find the part numbers for those two panels. And do you know if the lower panel comes with the net on it, or is it a separate part number as well ?
Woz10,
The net comes with the lower panel. panels are all black.
Lower (seat bottom) part# 6RP40DX9AA
Upper panel (seat back) part# 6EQ84DX9AC
the upper bracket part number is in my first post. you can do this with or without that par. its about $25.
I have an extra set of both delete panels new in the box if interested. $430 for both.
No idea how much shipping would be. I'm in the Chicago suburb area if someone wanted to pick them up.
I bought 2 sets of panels and one complete kit. I'm not going to do the 3rd car so I have an extra set. The two panels alone are over 800. The total kit is less. go figure.

· Premium Member
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,607 Posts
OP, your selling bottom & back panel for 430 ?.... not including shipping ?

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
150 Posts
Thanks for the info ! If I can get them priced locally for a fair price I’ll probably do that. Checking online and shipping is expensive.

One last question ... how does it look with just the bottom piece ? Does it sit flush / transition well into the trunk floor? Thinking about possibly just doing the bottom piece as well ...

· Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Thanks for the info ! If I can get them priced locally for a fair price I’ll probably do that. Checking online and shipping is expensive.

One last question ... how does it look with just the bottom piece ? Does it sit flush / transition well into the trunk floor? Thinking about possibly just doing the bottom piece as well ...
You don't loose much weight just doing the bottom , if that's what your doing it for ?

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,019 Posts
So Partial install still gives you 38lbs plus you can get that done in 20 mins... hmm..

I prefer this since I don't want permanent stuff due to Kids like to ride in the back.

· Registered
In The Market
147 Posts
So Partial install still gives you 38lbs plus you can get that done in 20 mins... hmm..

I prefer this since I don't want permanent stuff due to Kids like to ride in the back.
Well that’s my issue with buying a car off the lot with a factory rear seat delete, I have 3 kids and one of them is an absolute speed lover so she has to be able to ride with me haha. There are a lot of places to lose weight on these cars but it takes a while to get to a reasonable weight.

· Premium Member
3,607 Posts
I was thinking just take the seat out & just leave as is ?.... you can't see back there anyway unless you look real hard. Then I'm not putting any weight back in, even if it doesn't weigh much.
Then later if I want, just put seat back in.

· Premium Member
3,607 Posts
After checking prices for back & bottom panels separately , it's still about the same price as the kit, $400.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
150 Posts
It’s ugly with the seat bottom out and leaves the wires for the fuel pump semi exposed. I’m always afraid I’m going to damage them when loading up my track tires and tools. Or something will get hung up on that dip area etc ... That’s why I want the bottom plate in personally. Just my .02 cents !

· Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Those panels are flimsy also , so tires , floor jack & tools can damage it too.
A moving blanket would work to protect things.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,019 Posts
I was thinking just take the seat out & just leave as is ?.... you can't see back there anyway unless you look real hard. Then I'm not putting any weight back in, even if it doesn't weigh much.
Then later if I want, just put seat back in.
It's ok to remove weight around certain event. However, some event wants to have full interior but I understand your reasoning.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
150 Posts
How about this ... it’s my car and if I want the bottom panel only deal with it. Nobody is pushing it on you ! :)

From what I have seen / felt in person it seems plenty sturdy enough to hold half a tire when pushing it in from the trunk.

· Premium Member
3,607 Posts
It's ok to remove weight around certain event. However, some event wants to have full interior but I understand your reasoning.
Yeah, I hate really removing stuff to be a little faster, but for just to see how much faster is ok to see, & then I would just put the seats back in but to keep it like that I probably wouldn't.

Reactions: sgoyal
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.