SRT Hellcat Forum banner

261 - 280 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
17 Posts
Just had this done yesterday. Was worried cuz of all the negative posts I read about a noise on shutdown after the tune. I will tell you that my 16 challenger hellcat has ALWAYS made a noise on shutdown like its gasping for air or the supercharger takes last breath. I just thought it was normal. I was told that it would take 2 days to complete and I told them I could do it in a few hrs like their paper said. I dropped it off at 8:30am and they had it back to me by 4:45 PM. Pipes/cats were put in but since they are welded in already to pipe i dont think they can put these in crooked to where they hang down. Unless they are welded wrong from factory. All seems good. I did not hear any noise on shutdown now but only have shut it down once and need cats to break in before I pass judgment. Paper does not state they tuned it just shows 3 part numbers. Also did not receive any emission sticker or anything as one post stated the dealership need before they did the work. Will keep everyone posted. Btw I'm in Texas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had this done yesterday. Was worried cuz of all the negative posts I read about a noise on shutdown after the tune. I will tell you that my 16 challenger hellcat has ALWAYS made a noise on shutdown like its gasping for air or the supercharger takes last breath. I just thought it was normal. I was told that it would take 2 days to complete and I told them I could do it in a few hrs like their paper said. I dropped it off at 8:30am and they had it back to me by 4:45 PM. Pipes/cats were put in but since they are welded in already to pipe i dont think they can put these in crooked to where they hang down. Unless they are welded wrong from factory. All seems good. I did not hear any noise on shutdown now but only have shut it down once and need cats to break in before I pass judgment. Paper does not state they tuned it just shows 3 part numbers. Also did not receive any emission sticker or anything as one post stated the dealership need before they did the work. Will keep everyone posted. Btw I'm in Texas
Hopefully you don't see any power changes like others have reported. I really hope everyone can get their story on here and make the answer to my question clear. I just don't want to negatively impact my car for no necessary reason. 8hours15mins seems like an extensive amount of time. I mean if they're just swapping 2 cats and o2 sensors, we're talking about less than 10 bolts/nuts. 3 on each flange of the cats, and 1 large hex on the o2 sensor itself..how could someone even TRY to make that job take 8hours?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
17 Posts
Hopefully you don't see any power changes like others have reported. I really hope everyone can get their story on here and make the answer to my question clear. I just don't want to negatively impact my car for no necessary reason. 8hours15mins seems like an extensive amount of time. I mean if they're just swapping 2 cats and o2 sensors, we're talking about less than 10 bolts/nuts. 3 on each flange of the cats, and 1 large hex on the o2 sensor itself..how could someone even TRY to make that job take 8hours?
I'm sure they had to let it cool down for a few hrs after I drove in and then tune it if they actually did that. Also, I'm sure it only took a few hrs all depends when they actually got started. Probably sat on lift 5 hrs before they started. Lol. Think its all dependant on your dealership etiquette.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
61 Posts
I have not read of power changes. And how can you say they don’t know how to fix it if later models are not impacted by the recall?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
302 Posts
I don't understand the need for a tune to replace a cat...when there are minimal reports of cat failures but many reports of the fuel sensor failing, and that should be on recall.

Here is the recall report as to what the dealer is supposed to do. My local dealership handed this to me. Second post to follow as we can only post 10 pics. IMG_20200728_090553.jpg IMG_20200728_090606.jpg IMG_20200728_090617.jpg IMG_20200728_090623.jpg IMG_20200728_090631.jpg IMG_20200728_090647.jpg IMG_20200728_090707.jpg IMG_20200728_090714.jpg IMG_20200728_090719.jpg IMG_20200728_090725.jpg

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
302 Posts
I don't understand the need for a tune to replace a cat...when there are minimal reports of cat failures but many reports of the fuel sensor failing, and that should be on recall.

Here is the recall report as to what the dealer is supposed to do. My local dealership handed this to me. Second post to follow as we can only post 10 pics. View attachment 558364 View attachment 558365 View attachment 558366 View attachment 558367 View attachment 558368 View attachment 558369 View attachment 558370 View attachment 558371 View attachment 558372 View attachment 558373
IMG_20200728_090731.jpg IMG_20200728_090738.jpg IMG_20200728_090743.jpg IMG_20200728_090750.jpg IMG_20200728_090758.jpg IMG_20200728_090929.jpg IMG_20200728_090934.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car was not re tuned or flashed at all. My paperwork says cat change and sensors. They’re were three other csrs in the same day as me two other challengers and a charger for the same recall.
I specifically asked my advisor about tuning and he said we don’t need to re tune the car or touch computer it’s just a cat and sensor swap.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
58 Posts
I would be curious in a side by side comparison of the old cat and new cat, i.e. honeycomb size/density. If they have the same choking effect or back pressure equivalent. Are they simply changing internal materials to be more robust or are they increasing the size/demensions of internal components thus increasing back pressure and requiring a tune? Some folks whom had this done indicate power loss while others do not....If they are changing the back pressure on the fly, then one would thinkthis is not part of the original engineereing for this motor and could alter power output etc. I am not a tuner, but more of "if it aint broke dont fix it" type of guy.

Especially if it involves California compliance of anti emission law....

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
302 Posts
My car was not re tuned or flashed at all. My paperwork says cat change and sensors. They’re were three other csrs in the same day as me two other challengers and a charger for the same recall.
I specifically asked my advisor about tuning and he said we don’t need to re tune the car or touch computer it’s just a cat and sensor swap.
Very odd because my dealer said the tune is a must, and @DodgeCares also said that.

I attached the instructions on how to this and that also said a flash must be done.

Very odd, and awesome, that you were able to avoid that.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
58 Posts
Thinking back on my car I traded in for my Cat, similar chit happened. I had a 2008 c6 z55 Vette, loved that car but as I became older it was more of a pia to get in and out of. Jumped at the chance to trade her in on a CAT and never looked back.. I am not a brand loyalty guy, just a car guy... would love to get my hands on a new shelby gt 500 lol.

right before I traded vette in, gm had a similar recall.. The cats were not sufficient for california emissions (at that time I lived in California). The original cats were a single on each side, high flow. The replacements were to be 2 on each side much less flow. I had a diablo tune, haltech killer b intake and borla atak cat back exhaust.. around 500 hp on ls3.

The dealer swapped out the cats, but they would not attach to the borla mid pipe, so they swapped that out too (at no cost). Suffice to say I was not pleased as I did not authorize this. The power decrease was VERY noticable. I know its not an accurate comparison to CAT (not 700 plus hp) but I was pissed. They refused to undo the work and did not want to give me back my mids and stock cats. After a heated discussion, the dealer held my equip for a week, then it was returned to me. I needed to get this done to register my car, planned on putting exhaust back on... oh yeah, I uploaded stock tune prior to dealer visit and was going to reverse after smog/registration.

Ironically, when I went to get california smog check, they failed me visually for intake (it had since lost its carb approval after 8 years) I think Haltech and Borla no longer sell stuff in California. Luckily, I had another house in a state without restrictions, so I said screw Cali, reinstalled exhaust, registered it there and could give two chits about the cats..

Traded that car in on cat, still have the stock vette cats, intake and mid pipes in garage I think (Anyone interested? haha)

Sorry for long story but it opened my eyes a bit and there are some similarities.
FCA is tight lipped, but are the stock cats crumbling to pieces and possibly clogging resonators or mids? or is the material degrading and causing an alarm when the pipes are sniff tested in smog check required states? I am guessing its a smog check issue, in which case they have you by the balls and wont give you a reg renewal without this being done... OR you wont be able to sell the car in California or any place which requires smog check. I dont have those problems.

On my vette it seriously choked her.. I am guessing it will prob choke the cat too and they are updating a/f ratios via tune to compensate. The cat is so effing fast as it is that its prob not as noticable. Once again, Iam not a tuner just a novice mechanic but I wonder if increased back pressure will have negative effect on engine long term.

Think the emissions warranty is 10 year/100K ? so there is that too... they will undoubtedly void that if you dont get it done...

I will hold off on this, I am keeping this car long term. If these cats burn out, I will delete, re-tune and let her BREATHE LOL

Reactions: jakelind707

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
58 Posts
I doubt the recall would decrease HP. That would be a PR nightmare for Dodge given the popularity the car has, especially the fact its a performance car to start with.
Yeah your probably right, but I would still like to know what the differences are between the cats

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
17 Posts
I'd just like to know after reading that documentation why some get the PCM flash and sticker and why some dont? Dodge cares??? Any news on that?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
17 Posts
Sooooo... i called my dealer and they said they did flash it per recall but "forgot" to put the sticker under hood. They told me to go back and they will put it on. And this is the EXACT reason we need the printout from anything that is done on our rides because dealerships don;t know WTF they are doing

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
17 Posts
So you should have when this is done:
4 new 02 sensors
1 sticker for emissions under hood
2 new cats with pipes
1 PCM flash

Check to make sure it was all done....based on my experience.

Thanks

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
108 Posts
Don't know if I should laugh at the 2 pages of how to disconnect the battery and 1 1/2 page on how to apply a sticker or not. :p Or maybe I should be relieved that they are that detailed.

Left my car at the dealer this afternoon, so they can have a cold car to work on in the morning. Was surprised that they had the parts in stock when I checked today.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
377 Posts
they have to disconnect the battery? They won't even be able to find mine 😂

261 - 280 of 327 Posts