SRT Hellcat Forum banner

361 - 380 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
196 Posts
I hope it works out well all day :unsure: I'm going to be wigging out but most say do it again will post results soon!
thumbnail (5).jpg

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
321 Posts
Any 6MT owners out there who have done this recently? Any issues?
Yeah, I just had mine done this week and all good. Just make sure to call the dealership ahead to confirm they can do the job in 3 hours. Mine did, but the first dealership I called wanted the car for two days.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
51 Posts
What have guys done with this recall that have changed there driveshaft to an aluminum one, the converter either has to be shaped some with a hammer which I highly doubt the dealership would do or not put back on. Anyone have any experience with this yet, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
40 Posts
What have guys done with this recall that have changed there driveshaft to an aluminum one, the converter either has to be shaped some with a hammer which I highly doubt the dealership would do or not put back on. Anyone have any experience with this yet, thanks for any help.
I have not had the recall completed yet but I do have an aluminum driveshaft installed on my 17 6sp. When I installed it I had no problems at all with clearance between the shaft and the converters so I do not expect to have any fitment issues.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Any 6MT owners out there who have done this recently? Any issues?
Yes, the right exhaust tip now protrudes an inch further than the left one. Looks stupid. Sent email to dealer with pics from before and after.
I guess I could go with long tubes and a mellow a/m exhaust system, too, but I want bigger tubes than stock all around. Gives a deeper tone and, of course, reduces restriction.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
321 Posts
Yes, the right exhaust tip now protrudes an inch further than the left one. Looks stupid. Sent email to dealer with pics from before and after.
I guess I could go with long tubes and a mellow a/m exhaust system, too, but I want bigger tubes than stock all around. Gives a deeper tone and, of course, reduces restriction.
So frustrating...and I noticed a little rattle towards the rear now, I think one of the pipes is a little loose and now has play in it, causing a metal to metal contact, and noise.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
175 Posts
I said it two months ago on this thread and I'll say it again. I've declined the recall, and will continue to do so. This problem is minor, and FCA is required by federal law in USA and Canada to fix the problem. It's probable that the cats and the programming have put the emissions slightly out of the acceptable range. The governments insist on compliance. So for a very minor issue ( the cats aren't going to implode, disintegrate, crumble, or cause global warming ) FCA has to come up with a solution. As delivered from the factory the engines run fine, but the exhaust emissions are a bit high. Doesn't bother me a bit. I'm leaving well enough alone.
I've also noticed that many folks don't trust the dealers to do a simple oil change. If that is your opinion of the dealer service competency, why in hell would you let them install new cats and re-flash the ECU? The evidence from some is that a few dealers have messed up this recall.
I trust my dealer - always competent service and advice. But they are not doing this recall.

·
Registered
'17 Challenger SRT Hellcat
29 Posts
In California you have to do the recall if you want to keep your car registered.

And for the guys who mentioned that one pipe is out further than the other - take it to a reputable exhaust shop. It's likely one of the hangers is just crooked - half-hour fix, probably like $20.

I said it two months ago on this thread and I'll say it again. I've declined the recall, and will continue to do so. This problem is minor, and FCA is required by federal law in USA and Canada to fix the problem. It's probable that the cats and the programming have put the emissions slightly out of the acceptable range. The governments insist on compliance. So for a very minor issue ( the cats aren't going to implode, disintegrate, crumble, or cause global warming ) FCA has to come up with a solution. As delivered from the factory the engines run fine, but the exhaust emissions are a bit high. Doesn't bother me a bit. I'm leaving well enough alone.
I've also noticed that many folks don't trust the dealers to do a simple oil change. If that is your opinion of the dealer service competency, why in hell would you let them install new cats and re-flash the ECU? The evidence from some is that a few dealers have messed up this recall.
I trust my dealer - always competent service and advice. But they are not doing this recall.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
In California you have to do the recall if you want to keep your car registered.

And for the guys who mentioned that one pipe is out further than the other - take it to a reputable exhaust shop. It's likely one of the hangers is just crooked - half-hour fix, probably like $20.
What's strange is that the entire cat-back section is one contiguous piece

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
593 Posts
Got mine done yesterday. Upstream/Downstream O2's as well as the Cats.

Lost my cutouts but have my old Cats to remove them from and re-weld in.

Did not do the software update as I'm well beyond tuned.

Grabbed an oil change and had some Brisk plugs installed while I was at it.

All good on this end!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
321 Posts
Yeah, let us know how that works out for you.
Yeah, lemon law and suing a dealership is near impossible. A few years back I brought my BMW into a dealership for an oil change, and when I left the engine seized up on the highway, literally the car turned off at 60mph while I was on the highway. It was messed up. Ended being no oil in the engine.

The dealership confirm what I said, but also said it wasn't their faulty the BMW had no oil after the oil change. They said I could have driven 10 miles down the road, emptied the oil tank, and seized the engine.

Since this BMW has no oil dipstick, there is no way for a person to physically confirm there is oil in the tank. When I told my lawyer that he said, tough luck, you have to be inside the shop and physically watch them pour the oil in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Since this BMW has no oil dipstick, there is no way for a person to physically confirm there is oil in the tank. When I told my lawyer that he said, tough luck, you have to be inside the shop and physically watch them pour the oil in.
German engineering at it's finest! I just watched a video on how to check the oil on a BMW. It can be done if you wade through the menu and get it up to operating temp. Ridiculous IMHO

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Update from the dealership:
"I believe that the recall did not change the location of the exhaust pipes, as I showed you on the hoist the other day it is imposable to misalign the pipes because of the weld.
As for damaging the exhaust while removing them I don’t believe that also, as there is no signs of impact anywhere on the pipes.
Somewhere between the time the pictures were taken and the time the recall was done something outside the normal happened, but was not done here.

If you feel the recall was the cause of this please feel free to contact Chrysler Canada Customer Care..."

So, evidently, for their financial convenience, they believe that the before and after pictures I showed them had an intervening miracle that absolved them of all culpability in this matter.

It's too bad. I kinda liked that dealership, but now I don't think I can trust them. The FACT is that it was straight before and crooked after. I don't know how they managed that, but I suspect they dropped the exhaust system and bent it. It's weird, for sure. I know I didn't bottom out my car and no one descended from the stars to wave a wand and make it crooked. prior to them working on it. I washed the car before I took it in. I would have noticed.

And, I called Chrysler and they said "sorry, workmanship is between you and the dealer."

That's like getting Harvey Weinstein to look after your daughter, evidently.

When I told my lawyer that he said, tough luck, you have to be inside the shop and physically watch them pour the oil in.
It would be a shame if every new BMW on their lot had the oil drained from them one long holiday weekend.

361 - 380 of 419 Posts