SRT Hellcat Forum banner

381 - 400 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
We had the recall done about 4 weeks ago and ever since have a small rattle, sounds like a loose heat shield. Took it in today and turns out 1 of the new cats is bad so they have another coming, should be here in about 1 week. I saw the list price.....$1970 each....wow.....good thing it's still under recall coverage.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
323 Posts
Update from the dealership:
"I believe that the recall did not change the location of the exhaust pipes, as I showed you on the hoist the other day it is imposable to misalign the pipes because of the weld.
As for damaging the exhaust while removing them I don’t believe that also, as there is no signs of impact anywhere on the pipes.
Somewhere between the time the pictures were taken and the time the recall was done something outside the normal happened, but was not done here.

If you feel the recall was the cause of this please feel free to contact Chrysler Canada Customer Care..."

So, evidently, for their financial convenience, they believe that the before and after pictures I showed them had an intervening miracle that absolved them of all culpability in this matter.

It's too bad. I kinda liked that dealership, but now I don't think I can trust them. The FACT is that it was straight before and crooked after. I don't know how they managed that, but I suspect they dropped the exhaust system and bent it. It's weird, for sure. I know I didn't bottom out my car and no one descended from the stars to wave a wand and make it crooked. prior to them working on it. I washed the car before I took it in. I would have noticed.

And, I called Chrysler and they said "sorry, workmanship is between you and the dealer."

That's like getting Harvey Weinstein to look after your daughter, evidently.

It would be a shame if every new BMW on their lot had the oil drained from them one long holiday weekend.
🤫

When my cats were done, they said one of the bolts was rusted and they used heat, but eventually cut it off. Quite possibly you had stuck bolt and they tried pulling and tugging or something. I've seen some real idiots try to remove stuck bolts, and a dealership would fit that category.

You may be able to follow the exhaust to see where it misaligns.

Or possibly one of the hangers was inserted the wrong way into the bushing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
323 Posts
We had the recall done about 4 weeks ago and ever since have a small rattle, sounds like a loose heat shield. Took it in today and turns out 1 of the new cats is bad so they have another coming, should be here in about 1 week. I saw the list price.....$1970 each....wow.....good thing it's still under recall coverage.
Where was the rattle coming from, was the cat itself rattling?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
56 Posts
Mine's been in since 8 am this morning. 1:30 and still no call. Sigh. I hope they don't make a mess of this :(. I'm in California, and don't feel like fighting the complete scam that is the smog regulation situation here, so I'm doing this. I'm sure I'll end up sorry. Sorry all, guess I'm just venting the stress. I figure if anyone understands, it's the forum-goers here.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
220 Posts
I was in and out with an oil change and the cats done in about 1 hr.... I do know the service director pretty well so that may have helped some in speeding up the process.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
56 Posts
Sigh. So. Just like Himmelkat...when they were done, the right side tip protrudes outward by about an inch, while the left is still pretty much flush. I don't know if that will make you feel better or worse Himmel, but it was one of the things I was looking out for, having read it here (though I knew any messing around with the exhaust would just inevitablly lead to alignment issues). It was so obvious though I probably would have seen it anyways, no matter what.

I wouldn't accept the car back from them like that. I feel like I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't, but I couldn't bring myself to smile about it and say thank you. But I cringe to think what will go on with it, while they make it right. What are they going to beat on and bend to get that to look closer to flush? And of course it was the end of the day, so the car is going to be there overnight. I could have taken it home I guess, and brought it back in the morn, but I didn't want to offer any excuse for them to put anything on me. Plus, I'm in the boonies, and it's an hour drive to get there.

I do have to say though, with all of that in mind, I'm happy give credit to who, I believe, was the service manager. As soon as I said it wasn't right, he went straight out to look at it, took one look, and immediately went, "Damn, that's not right". He didn't seem to even contemplate arguing. He apologized right away and said he wanted to get that right. So, I hope it works out, and I appreciate that the guy seemed to genuinely want to correct the issue. I guess we'll see, my luck in the last couple years hasn't been so good, all in all. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
56 Posts
Well, update, warning, info. They gave me the same song and dance as they gave Himmel, with a different twist. Telling me how with all the welds and brackets it's just not possible they did anything wrong back there. They act like theres no way in the physical world we exist that they could possibly have caused an alignment issue out the back of the car, out to the exhaust tips. You know, because it's impossible they bent the steel in their guerilla efforts to remove the old cats, just to name ONE possibility.

They couldn't claim that I did something after I took the car, since I refused to take the car initially. But they could try to stick vehemently to the narrative that it was that way from the factory, and they did just that. I even walked the lot before I went into their office this morning, looking at the Challengers they had. Not ONE has so noticable a misalignment, but they still had the nuts to say that other cars on their lot aren't perfect either. Mine looks night and day different than the not perfect factory alignments on new cars on their lot (and far more importantly, dramatically different than it did BEFORE I brought it in for the work). They're trying to tell me that I've just never noticed misalignment this obvious in the almost 4 years I've owned the car? Keep smoking that wacky-banana behind the service counter there boys.....

If you have any doubt about where you're going to get this work done, take pictures first. Then, when you're there for drop off, point out in detail to the service rep, before he takes your car, what the rear alignment of your exhaust tips looks like. Then, if it's not right when it's done, don't take possession of the car before asking them to correct it. These are things we all know, I'm sure. Lord knows such lessons have been reinforced for me when it comes to customer service for the last 30 years.

In the end, I'm mad at myself for not taking enough precautions. Though, let's not get into the fact that taking my car in for factory mandated recall-repairs should NOT require me to prepare for the process as if it's a legal battle to be heard before a judge in court. And yet, that's the twilight zone we now live in. For those of you who have service departments and service managers you can trust in your area, I'm as jealous as can be!

I've thought about about some aftermarket dual tips for a while, and I guess now's the time. Here's what I'm left with, the right side clearly protruding (I didn't get a good pic of it, but the right one also sits slightly LOWER to the ground than the left one does...enough to see it while crouching behind the car):

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
392 Posts
just another reason I'm not getting it done...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Even though my car I guess is the only one in the country that still sounds like a dying old man. I'm glad My Tech is not a gorilla and my pipes are even. Yeah something to be glad about.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Charger Hellcat
74 Posts
So I’ve been following this thread from the beginning and I still got partially screwed over despite that. Took my car in this morning because my front door panels finally arrived. After they took the car back they called me and said they had the parts for the recall (only 1 set left) and asked if I wanted it done. I decided to do it and right before they closed they had it finished. Wouldn’t you know it, both exhaust tips are sticking out further than they did previously, the right one being worse. I’ll add pics later but it’s disappointing because they were black Carven tips and now I can see the newly exposed parts that had been rubbing against the rear diffuser and those parts are silver tinted instead of black. :-(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here’s a couple pics I just took of the right one. It’s in a dark garage so I’ll have to take better ones later in the daylight. Also the fingerprints are because of the ash raining down in the smoky hell of Northern California I live in :-/

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
56 Posts
Here’s a couple pics I just took of the right one. It’s in a dark garage so I’ll have to take better ones later in the daylight. Also the fingerprints are because of the ash raining down in the smoky hell of Northern California I live in :-/
Damn man. First, that's a gorgeous car. I love it. Second....that's absolutely ridiculous. I would have done the same thing as you did. If I had it in for work, I would have said, yeah, do the recall. It's unbelievable that we're being stuck this way. My sympathy to a fellow Cali dweller. And of course no matter where anyone lives, this is just not right.

Stay safe in the fires. That's why some of my pics look yellowish (but not all of the ones I took there. Weird camera optics I guess). Smoke and ashfall where we live is nasty too.

Anyways, like I already said, stay safe. That car looks awesome, I'm just sorry you've been stuck with this fiasco too, like seemingly several of us :(

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
Sorry to see what they did. I'm bringing mine in this monday to see if I can get a new ECU from them and see if that will work. Mother Mopar wants to run the car with the belts off to see if it still makes noise. I don't want the engine opened up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So, has anyone that's done the recall successfully had the dealership correct the exhaust tips? This is a pic I took of the tips a few minutes ago. Keep in mind they were both flush a few days ago :-/

381 - 400 of 431 Posts