SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hit 1k miles on my HC.
Noticed a small puddle of red fluid on garage floor, under rear of vehicle, just to the left (driver side) of diff, near exhaust pipe.
Everything seems to be dry. Have no idea where it's coming from.
So far as I know, the only red fluid is transmission, which is in front.
Any ideas before doing the dealer trip?

dla.jpg
dlb.jpg
dlc.jpg
dld.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
You sure its red? Looks like something has been dripping there a while too.

Condensation drip from exhaust?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sure its red? Looks like something has been dripping there a while too.

Condensation drip from exhaust?
I know you can't tell from pic's, but it's definitely red. And not condensation...it''s oily.
Just started yesterday. That other stain on floor is from something else.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
989 Posts
I know you can't tell from pic's, but it's definitely red. And not condensation...it''s oily.
Just started yesterday. That other stain on floor is from something else.
That "something else" wasn't parked there recently was it?!? I don't know of anything that would drip red fluid in that area of the car....my wild guess would be either a leaky seal on the half shaft, or a brake fluid leak?

I's jack it up a little and take a peek under there....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That "something else" wasn't parked there recently was it?!? I don't know of anything that would drip red fluid in that area of the car....my wild guess would be either a leaky seal on the half shaft, or a brake fluid leak?

I's jack it up a little and take a peek under there....
The "something else" was spill from container.
I'll just bring it in to dealer. New car shouldn't be leaking anything.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,813 Posts
Maybe fire it up and let it run sitting there and see if something drips. Never know, maybe under pressure it will leak again and you may spot it. Maybe brake fluid leaking somewhere else and traveling along and down? Rear diff fluid?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe fire it up and let it run sitting there and see if something drips. Never know, maybe under pressure it will leak again and you may spot it. Maybe brake fluid leaking somewhere else and traveling along and down? Rear diff fluid?
Tried that...nothing. Only after it sits overnight there is small puddle.
Brake & diff fluids aren't red.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,813 Posts
Tried that...nothing. Only after it sits overnight there is small puddle.
Brake & diff fluids aren't red.
I know the colors but you never know what could be going on. Sounds like trans has a leak, maybe it’s traveling to rear while youre driving and drips off when the car stops moving. Although you would prob see evidence of that all over back there if the wind was whipping it around so who knows.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,675 Posts
If it is not water stained red (possibly from the exhaust or water dripping from a body cavity, and not water soluble (coolant or possibly brake fluid) but oil my WAG would it is automatic transmission fluid.

You'll not be able to really accomplish much with the car on the ground. Best get it in the air and then look over the automatic transmission and any fluid lines to/from the cooler for any signs of a leak.

The odds are though the leak sign will be faint. Maybe just a section of fitting or line with a bit less dust/dirt on it. (Years ago -- this another car -- a selector shaft seal was leaking. Initially hard to see but what gave it away is the transmission casting under the seal was cleaner than the areas on either side. Tech said the area was cleaner because the leaking fluid was washing the dirt/dust away. There was wet fluid further down but some distance away from the leak source and not easily tied to the seal.)

Be aware that a leak can drip on top of one of the under body panels then the fluid flows back and drips off the trailing edge of the panel some distance away from the leak source.

Unless you have access to a car lift and can give the car a thorough inspection you are just wasting time. Get the car in and have a pro identify the leak source and get it dealt with pronto.

In the meantime clean the heck out of the garage where you park the car and after you get the car back keep a sharp eye out for any leak sign.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crawled under there this morning to take a closer look.
Left rear axle where it connects to boot seems to be a bit wet.
Still doesn't explain why fluid is red.

dsa.jpg
dsb.jpg
dsca.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hate to be that guy but still doesn't look red to me. Looks like just water under there. If you don't mind, put a little on some white paper or paper towel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hate to be that guy but still doesn't look red to me. Looks like just water under there. If you don't mind, put a little on some white paper or paper towel.
I did. You'll have to take my word for it....It's definitely red.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Car fluids are pretty distinct smelling, What does it smell like?

Doubt its atf that far back even if it was blowin in the wind or wicking down the driveshaft. Possible but I doubt it. And that would be one hell of a mess under there.\

Edit: I would wash it all down and see if it comes back and from where.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,405 Posts
Any time I suspect a leak I put a clean piece of cardboard or even better white paper under the vehicle. I actually have a big piece of cardboard I painted white for just that purpose.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,813 Posts
My guess is trans leak is traveling back while you drive and finally dripping off the axle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took her out for a spin. Parked in garage. Placed white plastic underneath left rear. Started dripping in 5 minutes.
Placed camera directly under leak.
And unless I'm color blind, it is red fluid.

axa.jpg
axb.jpg
axc.jpg

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,675 Posts
Well, not to put too fine a point on it but the fluid is red because that is the color of the fluid that is leaking unless the fluid is possibly clear and the color is from what the fluid comes in contact with. However, I'm not sure what clear and what looks like to be "oil" could come in contact with that would give the oil a red color.

The only red fluid, and "oil", I know of is ATF. But I am not sure the ATF used in Dodge transmissions is red.

Are you sure the fluid is not water soluble? Get some on your finger and then try to rub the oil off your fingers in some container of water. If the water develops an oil sheen the fluid is oil not coolant.

If it is oil then that's a transmission fluid leak.

You should not be so focused on where it gets to but from where it starts out. That will tell you the leak source and give you or a tech a good ideal of what amount of work it will take to fix the leak.

One technique is to thoroughly clean under the car. One tech preferred Simple Green. In the past my goto cleaner/degreaser has been Gunk in the aerosol cans. Give the under neat of the car, engine, transmission, suspension everything a good application of Gunk then let soak a while then rinse it all off with water.

Then head out and drive the only long enough that you are confident the leak will happen. The get the car up in the air and check for the leak source. Every seal, gasket, of the transmission needs to be checked. I use a wad of clean white paper towels and run along where the transmission housings bolt together. Where anything a shift rod/linkage goes in/comes out or any wiring goes in/comes out or where any external cooler fittings are for any signs of a leak. You have to be aware that likely the leak source is in some air flow and the fluid just doesn't run out and hang around.

So when you come to the leak the chances are the emount of fluid you get on the wad of towels will be light.

In my experience with a leaking selector shaft seal the factory decided to replace the transmission -- a 6-speed manual -- with a new one rather than have the tech fix the transmission at the dealership. Thankfully the car was covered by a 2 year 100K mile warranty so the new transmission cost me $0.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
690 Posts
Have you checked the levels in your coolant reservoir? I also don’t believe the trans fluid is red on these cars. The coolant is a pink/red color. It almost looks as though it’s seeping from the exhaust. There have been a few instances with coolant leaking from the super chargers. I would put a dot on both coolant tanks with a sharpie and check in a few days and make sure it doesn’t drop.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts