SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of a difference do you guys feel from an upgrade to the redeye from a 717hp hellcat for daily driving only

·
Registered
2021 Charger Redeye
167 Posts
I daily drive my Redeye charger and I had a 19 charger hellcat before that and I daily drove that car too , it’s quite different they are two different cars to me cuz now I have a widebody as well so it’s a completely different car it’s was worth it to me !!!

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
61 Posts
I daily drive my Redeye charger and I had a 19 charger hellcat before that and I daily drove that car too , it’s quite different they are two different cars to me cuz now I have a widebody as well so it’s a completely different car it’s was worth it to me !!!
Hmm I wonder if anyone can compare a non redeye widebody charger hellcat to a redeye widebody charger hellcat in terms of daily drivng

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
178 Posts
Interested to hear this as well since I have a 717 Cat too. Other than the stronger internals and such on the Redeye I wonder if there is a big difference in S.O.T.P feel with the 80 more HP.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
412 Posts
i couldnt really tell anything going from my charger to my redeye challenger maybe it was just me idk.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,061 Posts
How about a Widebody Hellcat 6MT vs. A Widebody Redeye A8 both bone stock??? Freeway acceleration up to 130mph was dead even. My buddy accused me of modding my 707 Hellcat....

·
Registered
2021 Charger Redeye
167 Posts
I can feel a difference from 19 Charger HC to 21 Redeye Charger in terms of acceleration I didn’t think it was gonna be that noticeable but i was suprised on the differences only thing I did to my 19 was JLT intake even the exhaust tone sounds different from a hellcat..... honestly both are killer cars really Can’t go wrong with either one!!!

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,861 Posts
I think gearing would really affect the seat of the pants difference. Cant remember if the Chargers are getting the option of 3.09’s or not. If so that is a huge factor. My 2016 Challenger Hellcat didnt have them but my 2020 WB RE Challenger does. Between the hp bump, the WB, and the gearing in particular, this car is a LOT dIfferent. It’s a lot more aggressive, especially down low. Also handles differently too. Seems more refined.
I know it isnt a Charger but I would think you would be seeing the same type of differences, especially if they are offering the 3.09’s. For me I think the gearing is the single biggest factor in why it feels so different. I dont think the Chargers get that option but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
2021 Charger Redeye
167 Posts
Your right charger redeyes didn’t get that option for the 3:09 gears, I’m just glad I live in cali where it doesn’t snow or I definitely wouldn’t be DD mine!!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
227 Posts
Interested to hear this as well since I have a 717 Cat too. Other than the stronger internals and such on the Redeye I wonder if there is a big difference in S.O.T.P feel with the 80 more HP.
I went from a 2016 Hellcat challenger to a 2020 Redeye Challenger with the 2.62 gear.
Hard to compare 1st and 2nd gears on the factory tires as both spin and cant put the power down on the factory all-seasons. The Redeye pull clearly pulls harder (push in seat) in 3rd and 4th all the way to redline and the shifts feel much more firm and satisfying in sport and track mode than the standard Hellcat. I'd imaging on a tire the Redeye would pull way harder than the Hellcat in 1st and 2nd as well. I haven't tried 5th gear on the highway yet.

To me the Redeye doesn't feel like it needs any more power between 1-4 gears where the Hellcat felt like it needed a bit more imo.

How about a Widebody Hellcat 6MT vs. A Widebody Redeye A8 both bone stock??? Freeway acceleration up to 130mph was dead even. My buddy accused me of modding my 707 Hellcat....
Got video proof?! What happened after 130 or did you shut it down?

Anything is possible on the street, as there are many factors that can affect outcomes from a roll. Faster car lost to slower cars all the time due these factors (some people like to call excuses)
Your buddy has the heaviest least aero version of the redeye and the manual HC is lighter and puts more power to the wheels than the HC auto; but still, the power isn't there for a dead even outcome...
The difference isn't night and day so if your buddy can quickly lose ground due to traction loss, letting the trans kick down, starting in the wrong gear/rpm, you getting a slight jump. You most likely beat the driver not the car...

Ride in or drive the redeye and you will clearly feel the difference from any speed, the additional 90hp and 57 tq is real.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
178 Posts
I went from a 2016 Hellcat challenger to a 2020 Redeye Challenger with the 2.62 gear.
Hard to compare 1st and 2nd gears on the factory tires as both spin and cant put the power down on the factory all-seasons. The Redeye pull clearly pulls harder (push in seat) in 3rd and 4th all the way to redline and the shifts feel much more firm and satisfying in sport and track mode than the standard Hellcat. I'd imaging on a tire the Redeye would pull way harder than the Hellcat in 1st and 2nd as well. I haven't tried 5th gear on the highway yet.

To me the Redeye doesn't feel like it needs any more power between 1-4 gears where the Hellcat felt like it needed a bit

To me the Redeye doesn't feel like it needs any more power between 1-4 gears where the Hellcat felt like it needed a bit more imo.

Anything is possible on the street, as there are many factors that can affect outcomes from a roll. Faster car lost to slower cars all the time due these factors (some people like to call excuses)
Your buddy has the heaviest least aero version of the redeye and the manual HC is lighter and puts more power to the wheels than the HC auto; but still, the power isn't there for a dead even outcome...
The difference isn't night and day so if your buddy can quickly lose ground due to traction loss, letting the trans kick down, starting in the wrong gear/rpm, you getting a slight jump. You most likely beat the driver not the car...

Ride in or drive the redeye and you will clearly feel the difference from any speed, the additional 90hp and 57 tq is real.

Would a simple pulley,tune, and intake get you up to Redeye power? Just curious.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
227 Posts
Would a simple pulley,tune, and intake get you up to Redeye power? Just curious.
Should be more power with a tune and pulley HC than a RE. You'd make really good power with e85 as well.
If you're planning on modding for highway roll racing, a slightly used HC would by far be the cheaper route. If you want good power with a warranty, a new RE is a good option. How much power satisfies you is very subjective.
If the 1/4 mile is the priority, the Redeye is better set up from the factory than the HC. Low to mid 10's @ 128-132 with just drag radials (depending on DA/conditions) is very achievable and you'd still have a warranty. High 9's with just a tune, tire and diff brace in good air doable. You'd prob forgo warranty though...

I recommend test driving both to see if the difference in cost is worth it to you. Maybe locate a dealer that has used Redeye you can romp on.
They both have a very different feel. The Redeye is smoother, faster, harder shifting, louder whine and exhaust. Really how the Hellcat should have been from the factory to begin with imo.

I bought my base standard body Redeye for below invoice + power dollars. If it were closer to msrp and no power dollars, I don't think it would have been worth it.
If I were spending $80k+ like for a WB charger RE, I'd prob would have been giving the new GT500 a hard look as well.

Reactions: VancityCat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
178 Posts
Should be more power with a tune and pulley HC than a RE. You'd make really good power with e85 as well.
If you're planning on modding for highway roll racing, a slightly used HC would by far be the cheaper route. If you want good power with a warranty, a new RE is a good option. How much power satisfies you is very subjective.
If the 1/4 mile is the priority, the Redeye is better set up from the factory than the HC. Low to mid 10's @ 128-132 with just drag radials (depending on DA/conditions) is very achievable and you'd still have a warranty. High 9's with just a tune, tire and diff brace in good air doable. You'd prob forgo warranty though...

I recommend test driving both to see if the difference in cost is worth it to you. Maybe locate a dealer that has used Redeye you can romp on.
They both have a very different feel. The Redeye is smoother, faster, harder shifting, louder whine and exhaust. Really how the Hellcat should have been from the factory to begin with imo.

I bought my base standard body Redeye for below invoice + power dollars. If it were closer to msrp and no power dollars, I don't think it would have been worth it.
If I were spending $80k+ like for a WB charger RE, I'd prob would have been giving the new GT500 a hard look as well.

I see and I have a 717 Hellcat now. One of these days I'll see what the Redeye is like. For now I gotta focus on getting some sticky tires in the rear to really put the power down first before upgrading or adding more power lol.

To me more power isn't really all that fun If it can't be put down well. So I may consider a drag radial like a 555r2 or even a Toyo r888r and see how it does on my stock Cat. Really want hook down low as best I can. Time to get rid of the tires I have on now as I want to hook much lower than 50-60 mph.

Agree the Gt500 is another cool car. 😎

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,061 Posts

I was directly behind him and went on his hit. Bumper to bumper he shut down at 130ish which was 5.5k rpm for me in 4th gear. Only advantage I had was him breaking the wind for me sooo.... just being honest. Not saying There's no difference, just wasn't any in that scenario.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve had a narrow body red eye, a wide body hellcat charger, and my current daily is the super stock. There’s a noticeable difference between all three. The redeye was 2.62 geared. But yeah, loving that super stock!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
227 Posts
I was directly behind him and went on his hit. Bumper to bumper he shut down at 130ish which was 5.5k rpm for me in 4th gear. Only advantage I had was him breaking the wind for me sooo.... just being honest. Not saying There's no difference, just wasn't any in that scenario.
Lol "breaking the wind"
Anyway, I believe the outcome but you guys should run it back best out of 3. The redeye should come out on top if he knows how to drive his car properly.

Example I've experienced with the slower car hangin:

My brother ran his stock 18' GT A10 vs my 2016 Hellcat 50-120ish and he ran right with me because just being cocky messing around I simply went WOT letting the trans kick down spinning a little then shifting with the paddles. The next run I put the trans in the correct gear/rpm in manual mode at 60, matted it then switched to Drive letting the trans shift, gapping him no prob. I also had a 150lbs passenger and he didn't which was also is a factor

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
178 Posts
Lol "breaking the wind"
Anyway, I believe the outcome but you guys should run it back best out of 3. The redeye should come out on top if he knows how to drive his car properly.

Example I've experienced with the slower car hangin:

My brother ran his stock 18' GT A10 vs my 2016 Hellcat 50-120ish and he ran right with me because just being cocky messing around I simply went WOT letting the trans kick down spinning a little then shifting with the paddles. The next run I put the trans in the correct gear/rpm in manual mode at 60, matted it then switched to Drive letting the trans shift, gapping him no prob. I also had a 150lbs passenger and he didn't which was also is a factor
Nice and you can also hold in the left down shift paddle till the car shifts it'self to the appropriate gear/rpm for that speed and let it go then romp on the gas as that method will also let the car shift itself. I believe it will hold it in gear for maybe 20 seconds or so before the computer will up shift it on it's own if you don't do anything and let the car sit in that gear which may not be optimal for roll racing if your in gear and unsure if someone is gunna go or not.

You have another way of doing it, it all works the same way. I have yet to try putting it in manual mode with the gear shift then downshift and punch it while throwing the gear shift back into drive to let it do it's thing. Does the car hold the gear much longer so that it doesn't up shift on you when you slide the gear shift into manual mode?

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,861 Posts
Nice and you can also hold in the left down shift paddle till the car shifts it'self to the appropriate gear/rpm for that speed and let it go then romp on the gas as that method will also let the car shift itself. I believe it will hold it in gear for maybe 20 seconds or so before the computer will up shift it on it's own if you don't do anything and let the car sit in that gear which may not be optimal for roll racing if your in gear and unsure if someone is gunna go or not.

You have another way of doing it, it all works the same way. I have yet to try putting it in manual mode with the gear shift then downshift and punch it while throwing the gear shift back into drive to let it do it's thing. Does the car hold the gear much longer so that it doesn't up shift on you when you slide the gear shift into manual mode?
Manual mode is the fashizzle. If you do it that way it wont downshift when you nail it and rip the tires to shreds too.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
38 Posts
Hey REDEYE1985 how does your SS do for daily driving with the drag radials on it are they noisy ?And do you notice much difference in it than your Redeye

1 - 20 of 26 Posts