SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just bought my Redeye last week and all rdy in service. Apparently there was a service bulletin for the shifter. I tried to start the car and it wouldn't start and the car was stuck on run. Getting a new shifter today but something tells me its also the battery.
Sorry for my weird voice. Just got off a 16 hour shift and being up for almost 40 hours.

·
Registered
70 Posts
See, I hope my relationship with my dodge dealership is as good as I think it is when it comes to warranty work as I have a tune.... so I do think about "what if little stuff pops up needing warranty and it's not related to the tune". Hopefully I'll be good

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should be. They cant dismiss any claim unless the tune effected the dmg.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:
ok so car is rdy for pickup. Apparently i was mistaken or misinformed but there is no service bulletin. They said the shifter wasnt responding and thats why they replaced it. I still think the battery is what caused the shifter to malfunction but im not the tech. They checked the battery again and said it was fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: So car drove fine for 2 days then same shit happen. This time i knew the only way to get it to start was to pull that red strap under the coin holder to get it out of being stuck in park. Was able to get the car started and now back at the dealer service. They are refusing to replace the battery if it test good. I told them its obviously the battery.

I get it, if the battery is changed and it is still having the problem then i will at least have peace of mind its not that battery.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,382 Posts
UPDATE: So car drove fine for 2 days then same shit happen. This time i knew the only way to get it to start was to pull that red strap under the coin holder to get it out of being stuck in park. Was able to get the car started and now back at the dealer service. They are refusing to replace the battery if it test good. I told them its obviously the battery.

I get it, if the battery is changed and it is still having the problem then i will at least have peace of mind its not that battery.
Not your job to tell the dealer what's wrong with the car.

But I can understand your desire to do so.

What does the service department attribute the shifter problem to? It replaced the shifter I take it. And this did not address the problem. What's the next step?

With this problem you have lost all enjoyment of the car. You do not feel the car is safe to drive.

Stress you want the car fixed so you can resume enjoying the car and without concern for your safety.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not your job to tell the dealer what's wrong with the car.

But I can understand your desire to do so.

What does the service department attribute the shifter problem to? It replaced the shifter I take it. And this did not address the problem. What's the next step?

With this problem you have lost all enjoyment of the car. You do not feel the car is safe to drive.

Stress you want the car fixed so you can resume enjoying the car and without concern for your safety.
I agree im not a tech and im not telling them how to fix my car. But when another tech from another dealer tells me its possible that the battery could be bad and still say its good you can understand my frustration. All i want is peace of mind and just replace the battery and humor me to show thats not the problem.

UPDATE. They just called me literally as im writing this and said they will replace the battery to prove its not the battery. On Monday the shop forman will look at the new battery while installed to see if any codes are being thrown.

·
Registered
2018 Charger SRT Hellcat / 2021 Charger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody
108 Posts
Had the same issue with my 2021 Charger Redeye Widebody a couple of weeks after getting it. I had only diven it back from the dealership, and had the doors and trunk opened and closed putting in LED lights, mirror tap for radar detector, double bypass and Tazer, and front and rear strut bars. I hadn't put a full charge on it or set up a battery tender yet, it wouldn't start, and the display and shifter were flashing similar to your video above. A full charge on the battery, a trickle charge, and everything has been working fine. The computer systems don't handle low voltage very well, and I'm sure that not all of the systems have the same thresholds. Same thing happened with my 2014 Charger SXT AWD when the battery was discharged after I left some electronics on overnight. Same flashing and the uconnect voice changed to Deutsch. Charging the battery and resetting the uconnect cleared the problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had the same issue with my 2021 Charger Redeye Widebody a couple of weeks after getting it. I had only diven it back from the dealership, and had the doors and trunk opened and closed putting in LED lights, mirror tap for radar detector, double bypass and Tazer, and front and rear strut bars. I hadn't put a full charge on it or set up a battery tender yet, it wouldn't start, and the display and shifter were flashing similar to your video above. A full charge on the battery, a trickle charge, and everything has been working fine. The computer systems don't handle low voltage very well, and I'm sure that not all of the systems have the same thresholds. Same thing happened with my 2014 Charger SXT AWD when the battery was discharged after I left some electronics on overnight. Same flashing and the uconnect voice changed to Deutsch. Charging the battery and resetting the uconnect cleared the problem.
Hopefully the new battery will prove to them thats the problem. Wont know till monday afternoon. Anyway you can take a screen shot of your work done by the dealer so i can show what they did? Also did they test your battery and say it was good? All they do is do there load test ect... and say its all good.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,980 Posts
It's getting to the point where a battery tender already pre-wired to the car needs to be included as standard equipment. There's gotta be more dead batteries and battery questions on here than any other issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hopefully the new battery will prove to them thats the problem. Wont know till monday afternoon. Anyway you can take a screen shot of your work done by the dealer so i can show what they did? Also did they test your battery and say it was good? All they do is do there load test ect... and say its all good.
I hope that it solves your problem.

In my case, no dealer involved, except for the purchase. The car sat without being driven / charged while waiting for transport, during transport, on the lot, on the showroom floor, for weeks at home (after a short drive home from the dealership) with one of the weeks being a single digit cold snap, and while installing things. I neglected to put the battery on a charger or a tender which I normally do after I bring a new car home. The battery was not dead, it was at a low voltage which was most likely at the power on threshold for some of the numerous computer systems in the car and possibly below the power on threshold for some of the computer systems which will induce errors, intermittent power-ons, or out of sequence power-ons. I use a NOCO Genius G26000 26Amp smart charger that will indicate a bad cell and desulfate if needed, but will obviously not do a load test.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They showed me the volts and it was at 14. Something. Not sure of it kept that voltage the whole test or not. I still suspect the battery being the problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's getting to the point where a battery tender already pre-wired to the car needs to be included as standard equipment. There's gotta be more dead batteries and battery questions on here than any other issue.

It was an option (LPO battery tender) on my '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE, but was not pre-wired. Quick and easy install though.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,980 Posts
They showed me the volts and it was at 14. Something. Not sure of it kept that voltage the whole test or not. I still suspect the battery being the problem.
The 14 is the running voltage. A fully charged battery is 12.6 volts with everything off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My battery has been replaced twice in my RE. Second time I decided to go aftermarket with an Interstate Battery and I now keep it on a battery tender. Everything is all good as i see 14.4s when cruising. There is draw on the battery in these cars that weakens the batteries in these cars, especially if you don't drive them daily. My car is a Garage Queen and sits for weeks, sometimes without driving. Car has been rock solid otherwise!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My battery has been replaced twice in my RE. Second time I decided to go aftermarket with an Interstate Battery and I now keep it on a battery tender. Everything is all good as i see 14.4s when cruising. There is draw on the battery in these cars that weakens the batteries in these cars, especially if you don't drive them daily. My car is a Garage Queen and sits for weeks, sometimes without driving. Car has been rock solid otherwise!
Ill be driving it 2-3 times a week. My yearly mileage will be around 3k. Do you still think i need a battery tender?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ill be driving it 2-3 times a week. My yearly mileage will be around 3k. Do you still think i need a battery tender?
You can have your battery tested at your local auto parts retailer. My car would run find after having the battery tender on but when I had the battery tested because of volt inconsistency, it turns out the battery was bad. Have it checked by parts store and then make your decision.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can have your battery tested at your local auto parts retailer. My car would run find after having the battery tender on but when I had the battery tested because of volt inconsistency, it turns out the battery was bad. Have it checked by parts store and then make your decision.
Dealership is changing the battery out on monday then seeing if the car is still throwing codes. I will be picking it up Monday if not

·
Registered
105 Posts
same issues with multiple Brands--when batteries get low (for whatever reason), all kinds of actuators won't work in a vehicle. nothing new here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
same issues with multiple Brands--when batteries get low (for whatever reason), all kinds of actuators won't work in a vehicle. nothing new here.
Yeah but they keep saying the battery is good with there tests. They are changing it to humor me. Advisors words

1 - 20 of 31 Posts