SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a dilemma I wanted to do a lower pulley ATI Or IW and a upper that I could swap back and forth on a flex tune. My issue is around my home I can get E85 most places but if I travel I cant guarantee that so it would be 93 pump. It's my understanding 16psi is about the max. on pump 93 so even with a stock sized upper I would be around 17.5psi with the lower. Are there any other options here for the 93 pump if I needed to go that route?
I guess I dont need the lower but being I'm pinning the crank figured upgrade to a better damper. I could probably go a 2.65 upper pulley on E85 and make plenty of boost without the lower.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,232 Posts
I ran a 2.85 upper and 10% lower tuned on 93 for 3 years with zero issues.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,464 Posts
They have stock size ATI dampers, IW probably does too. Then you can use a 3.10 upper pulley and keep it safe on 93 octane.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
412 Posts
I was advised by Josh at HHP to just use the aftermarket damper in a stock size along with the pin and just do a mild upper for achieve the safe 15ish limit. Im stuck to 93 as e85 is about 50 miles from my house .

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,464 Posts
I was advised by Josh at HHP to just use the aftermarket damper in a stock size along with the pin and just do a mild upper for achieve the safe 15ish limit. Im stuck to 93 as e85 is about 50 miles from my house .

Yep, most good tuners recommend this for a Redeye, the lower balancer is optional but the safe limit on the upper has been 3.10.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well I think all your thoughts are in line. I’m doing the ripatuned incognito lower pulley and pin kit on my Redeye this coming week. Dusterhoff advised that the 3.17 upper or 10% OD lower was all I could do on the Redeye on 93 octane. Now with your flex fuel kit and tune, you can run 93. But you could not pin it WOT safety if you had the lower and upper or just 2.85 upper. You would have to have some restraint if you were out traveling and someone taunted you. I had a 2016 Camaro on flex fuel with nitrous and I did run 93 when I went out of town but I didn’t push it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I stay the stock sized lower is it even worth changing it for a stock sized ATI? I could pin the stocker and put the $500 somewhere else. I would love to run E85 full time just don't know if that will be possible.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven’t heard of anyone running an ATI balancer. Although I know they make good stuff. I think it’s fine to pin the stock one as that’s what most seem to be doing. 2.85 upper would be great power. So there are tuners who think the 2.85 is ok with 93 octane on the Redeye. As long as the car isn’t at the track weekly or beat on constantly. Since they say that it means there’s not much if any safety margin. I chose Curt Dusterhoff as my tuner and he doesn’t recommend it. So that’s why I’m not doing it. Now once I get some miles on the car I’ll probably add the 3.17 Litens along with the ripatuned incognito lower(which will be on this week) and E85. Which will require injectors too. Using E85 requires 1/3 more fuel. So your miles per tank drop significantly.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,464 Posts
If I stay the stock sized lower is it even worth changing it for a stock sized ATI? I could pin the stocker and put the $500 somewhere else. I would love to run E85 full time just don't know if that will be possible.
The stock balancer is good enough for most people, that being said, the ATI and IW are superior units. Your call if you've got the money. You could always get a flex tune that way when you have E85 available to you, you should pick up another 30whp or so.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have E85 available to me all the time that is when I'm home the problem is traveling with it. For one who knows what you will find on the road and for two E85 is terrible for long trips disappears way to fast! My Cts-v was tuned on a flex setup and I would be lucky to see 100+/- miles out of a tank of E. It made 850whp. On the road with 93 being easy I could get 20mpg or better to a gal.
I really like E and would love to run it full time just dont know that I can plus I plan to move in a few months and have not even looked around the area I'm going for the availability of E.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,464 Posts
I have E85 available to me all the time that is when I'm home the problem is traveling with it. For one who knows what you will find on the road and for two E85 is terrible for long trips disappears way to fast! My Cts-v was tuned on a flex setup and I would be lucky to see 100+/- miles out of a tank of E. It made 850whp. On the road with 93 being easy I could get 20mpg or better to a gal.
I really like E and would love to run it full time just dont know that I can plus I plan to move in a few months and have not even looked around the area I'm going for the availability of E.
With a flex tune, you can still run a more extreme pulley setup on E85, and then when you need to travel on 93 octane or whenever E85 isn't available, the tune will adjust for the 93 octane, however YOU MUST understand that when you're running 93 octane on a more extreme pulley setup, stay out of full throttle. You can drive the car just fine at part throttle as long as you're not running the Hell out of it. I ran a 2.65 upper pulley setup on my Hellcat for 2 years with a flex tune, most of my driving was on E85 since its locally available but when I needed to travel and couldn't find E85, I would just use 93 octane and take it easy while driving. You're not going to do any harm as long as you're not at full boost, it just requires a little more discipline when using 93 octane.

Reactions: Rcasa20

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would probably get the stock sized upper pulley close to that and just swap them out for the road trips. That way if I decided to go WOT I would be Ok!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,464 Posts
I would probably get the stock sized upper pulley close to that and just swap them out for the road trips. That way if I decided to go WOT I would be Ok!
That's an option too if you don't mind changing pullies and belts.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,464 Posts
Nope not at all just cheap protection in case the urge pops up!
Just remember if you decide to go E85, you're also going to need a set of FIC 1200cc or ID1300x2 injectors.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes sir on my list! I just don't know how I feel about the recommended BAP if it's going to fry the pumps fast or cause some other issues. I did a secondary pump on my V that came on around 8lbs.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
412 Posts
question for you guys, a more local shop had suggested to me a 2.85 to go along with long tubes and high flow catted mid. Do you think with the loss of back pressure from the improved exhaust flow would make it acceptable to use that 2.85 for 93?

·
Registered
66 Posts
question for you guys, a more local shop had suggested to me a 2.85 to go along with long tubes and high flow catted mid. Do you think with the loss of back pressure from the improved exhaust flow would make it acceptable to use that 2.85 for 93?
Some top Tuners are not recommending the 2.85 pulley on 93 period on the Redeye. Adding long tubes with a 2.85 would put you further out on fuel. They are seeing 16.5-17 psi on the Redeye with either a 10% OD lower or a 3.1 upper pulley. With these cars I would recommend you pick a good tuner and get their vision on it. Email tuning and data logging has never been easier than it is today. I picked Dusterhoff tuning and it’s going to be hard to beat Frank and Curt. Their service and communication is on point.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,464 Posts
Its possible depending on your altitude but its still cutting it closer than I would be comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts