SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Charger Redeye to Poconos Raceway for Drive Your Own Car event. We did two 15 minute sessions at as fast as you want. Only 9 other cars were on the huge 2.5 mile track with me. The redeye handled really well, but the acceleration coming out of a turn at 90 mph to flooring it wasn't ass-kicking as I thought. I was able to get up to 166 mph on the long straightaway. I could have pushed it more, but I didn't want to break hard before turn 1. I was expecting more rapid acceleration from 90-160 mph. There was a mustang 5.0 stock, a new BMW M4 that I really didn't have enough HP to pass on the straight away. There was a stock widebody Charger 392 that was on my ass out of the turns, and when I floored it I did open up some space (like going from 1 car length to say 5 car lengths in 2000 feet) but I wasn't exactly leaving him in the dust. I was in track mode. Was that the right setting for an oval track like Poconos?

But the event was fun, it was nice to really push the car legally in a safe environment. Any comments/advice??

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like fun.

What was the temp outside? What kinds of temps were you running as far as intercooler coolant temps and intake air temps? You can eat up a lot of horsepower if the blower is getting hot. The stock heat exchanger isn't very big and the coolant capacity of the intercooler system is pretty minimal, imo.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It is hard pushing the big brick through the air. The Charger is much more aerodynamic so maybe the reason he was able to hang. The 5.0 Mustang and BMW also cut the air much better than you do. I think I read someplace it takes like two miles to get these bricks up to 203. Also, note the top speed of a regular 717 (707) HC Charger is the same as your Redeye Challenger.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If they carried more corner speed, it negates your hp advantage for some time. If you could look at everyone’s data, you would likely see they where carrying more mid corner and exit speed. Advice, get an instructor and start learning! It’s a blast! Skill is everything in the twisties.

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,001 Posts
What was your tire pressure?

Reactions: Linda's Hell Cat

·
Registered
43 Posts
Corner speed makes a lot. If you don’t have that you can be a sitting duck. When on the track with sport bikes the small bikes will chew the big bikes up thru the corners but the big bikes make up for it in the straights depending on the mength of the straights. Get a instruction and learn its totally worth it.

·
Registered
22 GR Supra 3.0 Premium, 17 C7 Z06/Z07 (RIP), 19 392 Charger (SOLD)
146 Posts
When it comes to tracking your car the key is not exactly the car but how much seat time and experience the driver has. I don't track any of my cars but my friend group are track junkies and they always preach that. Also a charger or challenger probably isn't the most advantageous vehicle around track for low times due to weight and not being very aerodynamic but it must be fun fighting against the car in those turns and plus bragging right being the guy in the hellcat at the track it's probably a rare sight :cool:

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,001 Posts
is that a serious question? Tire temps are different for any given tire, so just asking what the temp is arbitrary
Apologies, I meant to say tire pressures.

·
BMF
4,670 Posts
Sounds about right. What is the issue? Be glad you were not getting Gapped by a ZL1

·
Registered
585 Posts
Apologies, I meant to say tire pressures.
pressures will raise and lower depending on tire temps and how much they are getting stressed. Too low and the tire gets hot and greasy. Too high and you don’t get the tire up to temp to make it work right. Tire pressures are changed accordingly based on some test runs on any given day based on percentage of pressure rise. Again depending on tire, usually you are looking at a 5% rise in pressure from start of the session to the end as a goal

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,001 Posts
pressures will raise and lower depending on tire temps and how much they are getting stressed. Too low and the tire gets hot and greasy. Too high and you don’t get the tire up to temp to make it work right. Tire pressures are changed accordingly based on some test runs on any given day based on percentage of pressure rise. Again depending on tire, usually you are looking at a 5% rise in pressure from start of the session to the end as a goal
On a narrow-body Hellcat with Michilen Pilot Super Sport 4S, we usually saw starting pressure at 30 psi and monitored 34-36 (11-17% delta) psi on a 95+ deg F ambient and about 110-120 deg F track temp track day during our sessions.

@superbeegugs What kind of tires and pressures were you running?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Charger or Challenger are pretty slow in stock form imo. A few bolt-ons and a tune will yield another 200 hp which imo u NEED with all that extra weight.

And unless u modify ur suspension in ur Challenger its not gonna handle very well and will slow ur speed into a corner obviously which will slow ur exit speed out of the corner.

The M3 is made for shit like that so not surprising u couldnt pass him. I dont think aerodyamnics play much of a roll but it does very slightly. The Camaro ZL1 1LE is pretty heavy and smokes ALL those vehicles buy a long shot lol but thats actually made for the track and is quite aerodynamic but those aero's will hurt the top speed.

Plus with a super charger ur gonna get heat soak REALLY fast when driving in those conditions. I bet u were down 60-80 hp after just one lap!

·
Premium Member
10.23 @ 133 in Roomy Comfort (Stock, no tune of any kind,, just tires)
442 Posts
These cars where designed for drag racing, to go Very Fast in a straight line on a drag strip, and will absolutely smoke any of those cars when used as designed.

If you want a road course Mopar then buy a Viper ACR. It's designed for road course racing and It will Smoke any of those cars, but will loose to the red-eye on the drag strip (unless piloted by a clueless driver)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was just tuning a redeye that was stock besides my tune. Well before the tuning process I asked for a completely stock log. He was going into cat over temp right away and the injector pulse width was going high enough it was pulling power from the car. I can about guarantee this is your issue.
At the end he picked up good power by just fixing that issue.

·
Registered
422 Posts
First thing is you have to have excellent tires on the car. We went to Bondurant race school a few years ago, and my dad and son did the 3 day class. They run Goodyear F1 tires on all the cars there and change brake pads and tires frequently, like every few days, but they run the heck out of those cars.

These cars can handle if the driver knows what they are doing. It was incredible what the drivers there could do.

I think there are three issues for you, and all three have been mentioned in this thread:

1) seat time. This type of driving is very technical. It's not something you can learn just from reading about it online, etc. It's worth it, I think, to get some instruction from a professional.

2) tires: gotta have a race type tire, like the F1 or something similar to that.

3) heat soak. As I stated above, the heat exchanger is dinky. I'd consider going with the street bwoody heat exchanger. You don't need/want the race version. Bwoody says the 2.0" thick one is the one to get for street. Plus, the install is way easier. I've installed the 3.5" and there's a lot of cutting you have to do on the fascia. But you need to check and see what the IC coolant temps and intake air temps are when you are on the track to see if it's heat soaking. And log the car while you are tracking it, too.

The last thing I would do is more power. You want to maximize what you presently have, get more seat time, practice, and some driving lessons of some type, should all come first, imho.

Reactions: GdBye and GNBRETT

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,001 Posts
If they carried more corner speed, it negates your hp advantage for some time. If you could look at everyone’s data, you would likely see they where carrying more mid corner and exit speed. Advice, get an instructor and start learning! It’s a blast! Skill is everything in the twisties.
This about sums it up. Go to more events, have fun, and gain more seat time.

Reactions: RB185AFM

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
let me be clear. We did the full 2.5 mile track with 3 turns at Poconos. We were limited to 100 mph I;he turns and that was the max speed I felt in control anyways. But when I pulled out of the turn to the 3600 ft straight away with a BMW or Mustang next to me, I wanted to smoke them and I could not. It took 2500 feet to go from 95 mph to 170 mph. i barley gained on the stock Charger 392 next to me. But i did toast most other cars even the new Mid engine Vettes

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,553 Posts
I was just tuning a redeye that was stock besides my tune. Well before the tuning process I asked for a completely stock log. He was going into cat over temp right away and the injector pulse width was going high enough it was pulling power from the car. I can about guarantee this is your issue.
At the end he picked up good power by just fixing that issue.
I was thinking that might be going on.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts