SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An idea I had. Since the existing systems are all very well integrated, how about leaving all the sytems for MANAGING the boost, and everything else in place, and putting a Procharger centrifugal blower under the hood somewhere?

(make bypass butterfly feed to upstream of the Procharger from downstream to prevent wasted power by endlessly trying to compress air at idle)

THEN; Put in a cam that is tuned to make torque from 5 rpm upwards, something like a big rig cam.

Possible benefits:
Lower torque at lower RPM, but snappier response due to very down-low cam emphasis.
Higher overall hp available
Broad powerband due to low-RPM-emphasis camshaft largely filling gap left by the usual Procharger boost black hole of low RPM's
Never-ending top-end power that will go as high as you have internals and valve train to handle it.

Possible drawbacks:
Cost
Reduced fuel mileage
Purists complaining about how "it hain't never been done that way beferr, so's you best to quit gettin' so upp'ty, boy, and go with what is tried and true!"

Any good ideas?
Not needed:
Naysayers who bring no facts or much of anything else.

One would be able to tune the Procharger RPM/pulley and the cam to find what one liked best.
If one wanted to go with a Pro Stock style cam and have this thing fall in a giant hole from zero to 5000 RPM, then suddenly come in with a vengance that would make 5-9000 RPM go by in a fraction of a second, one could do that, also. It would also yield a pretty sexy 3000 RPM idle, I figure.

The predictably linear boost curve of the Procharger could make for some interesting results. Isn't the world's fastest Challenger powered by a Procharger-boosted engine?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,483 Posts
There is a kit in the works for our cars. There are also already turbo kits out as well.

·
Registered
In The Market
474 Posts
Big NO for me

·
Registered
196 Posts
An idea I had. Since the existing systems are all very well integrated, how about leaving all the sytems for MANAGING the boost, and everything else in place, and putting a Procharger centrifugal blower under the hood somewhere?

View attachment 557004

(make bypass butterfly feed to upstream of the Procharger from downstream to prevent wasted power by endlessly trying to compress air at idle)

THEN; Put in a cam that is tuned to make torque from 5 rpm upwards, something like a big rig cam.

Possible benefits:
Lower torque at lower RPM, but snappier response due to very down-low cam emphasis.
Higher overall hp available
Broad powerband due to low-RPM-emphasis camshaft largely filling gap left by the usual Procharger boost black hole of low RPM's
Never-ending top-end power that will go as high as you have internals and valve train to handle it.

Possible drawbacks:
Cost
Reduced fuel mileage
Purists complaining about how "it hain't never been done that way beferr, so's you best to quit gettin' so upp'ty, boy, and go with what is tried and true!"

Any good ideas?
Not needed:
Naysayers who bring no facts or much of anything else.

One would be able to tune the Procharger RPM/pulley and the cam to find what one liked best.
If one wanted to go with a Pro Stock style cam and have this thing fall in a giant hole from zero to 5000 RPM, then suddenly come in with a vengance that would make 5-9000 RPM go by in a fraction of a second, one could do that, also. It would also yield a pretty sexy 3000 RPM idle, I figure.

The predictably linear boost curve of the Procharger could make for some interesting results. Isn't the world's fastest Challenger powered by a Procharger-boosted engine?
I believe the world's fastest Challenger is the Vixen. It runs in the high 5 sec range at over 240 mph.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HIgh fives. Holy smokes. Way back, that was a Top Fuel ET, on the same 1320 foot track. Don Garlits' [email protected] stood for years. Don was also the first member of the 300mph club. I would not be surprised to see him get an electric rail into the fives. Top Battery Dragster?

I'd rather see Fuelers limited to 250 cubic inches and go back to 1320 foot tracks. The different approaches would be interesting. Small block strokers? Big block "borers?" I wonder if they would consider it.
also NHRA going back to factory steel bodies for Pro Stock. Give Lenny on the street a car he could actually approach as far as Pro Street went. If they reintroduce the 2 DOOR Neon, and they had them in Pro Stock Steel, I would really be tempted to put together Pro Streeter with a Neon body. They have largely disconnected the cars from what people can get on the street, defeating much of the purpose.

Anyway, with 250 cubic inch Top Fuel, You'd get the sounds, the smells, the fun, but may have fewer drivers with detached retinas... Also, allow actual wings in Funny Car, and FAR more accurate body shapes, that more closely mimic the shapes of the street cars. Mustangs would do very well. So would Corvettes. The Challenger? Not so much, I think. The Charger, though, it's pretty sleek.

I wonder if 4.99 is the next milestone for the Challenger. Imagine the power needed to overcome all that drag.

Roughly, to cut your time in half in the quarter, it's about eight times the horsepower, isn't it? (cubic relationship.)

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
287 Posts
I like a lot of your ideas but just to clarify Kenny Bernstein was the first over 300 The first 300

And Big Daddy has been playing with an electric rail

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,650 Posts
Why not compound superchargerers? Use the Procharger through an intercooler to precharge the air into the HC blower, then compress it and cool it some more? Assuming you don't shoot the internals out the hood or through the pan, it could be...interesting....

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
257 Posts
Why not compound superchargerers? Use the Procharger through an intercooler to precharge the air into the HC blower, then compress it and cool it some more? Assuming you don't shoot the internals out the hood or through the pan, it could be...interesting....
The blower internals become a restriction.

All the guys who tried to compound their 03 Cobras 20 years ago eventually gutted the blower or removed it all together as it was just in the way.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
338 Posts
LOL - I literally broke this all down on the other board. Deaf ears. Confirmation bias. The usual nonsense.

If you want to go properly fast it isn't with a PD blower... definitely not one from IHI.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
210 Posts
I feel like maybe you’re going in the wrong direction here. Seems a bit like a complicated way to go.

Have you considered something more straight forward? Such as the following:

6DA9A6E4-A05F-417A-B7B7-8335F82CFC8C.jpeg

If this aircraft engine can fit in a beetle certainly it can fit in a challenger.

This bad boy is putting out almost 1400 hp. Yes of course it does look like a giant “johnson” is hanging out of the back but it flies on the track. Talking about flying, since this is in fact an airplane engine you might be able to get the car a material amount of lift if you can slap some wings on it.

Certainly isn’t going push you back into the seat like an F22 Raptor exceeding mach 2, but I think you’d be pretty happy with the 1/4 mile numbers

(Sorry. Had to do it lol!! I mean hell even I was laughing when typing it. When you’re laughing at your own stuff, you know it’s gotta be funny(y))

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
123 Posts
Yes. I saw a YouTube video of a Hellcat with gutted blower except for intercoolers and a turbo. Seems like a reasonable alternative to an aftermarket intake and intercooling.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
123 Posts
It will work. Seriously

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
123 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
123 Posts
Seems to be an ok setup. Plus you keep the factory intercoolers.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
278 Posts
Does it work? Sure it does, is it the best way to do it? I am not so sure. Without a doubt maintaining the blower on top of the motor in this type of setup is just carrying extra weight for no reason. If you wanted to go this route remove the blower and run a intake better suited for a turbo setup along with a big IC.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
123 Posts
Extra weight no reason? The reason is you keep the factory intercooling system and as long as the intake is large enough; intake runner tuning should not be a huge deal with forced induction. Is it the best setup? No. Is it possibly simpler and almost as good as a dedicated system? Probably👍 How much do the rotors weigh?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts