SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone,

I bought a 2018 Hellcat that was leased. The car has about 10k miles but of course coming from a lease, it's probably been driven hard. It's gone through one tire change, Oil changes weren't done at correct intervals (1x a year) per CarFax.

So my question is, say if they car was driven hard, not really taken care of as it should be, can I reverse any of the damage made onto the car, engine and transmission in particular. I would like to keep this car for a really long time, 20+ years. How can I make this car last "forever". Is there a way for me to check on the overall health of the engine/transmission via dealership shops.

Thanks for any advice.

· Registered
2022 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
69 Posts
I don't think it would really be that bad for the engine if the oil was only changed once a year, as long as it wasn't more than 5000 miles each time. I think an oil analysis or having someone look into the engine with a scope would give you a good idea of the shape it is in. Expensive scan tools are also good enough that they will tell a mechanic if the engine is running right and if the transmission is shifting correctly. I don't think that you could really reverse any damage without completely rebuilding the engine/trans or getting new ones. I personally would just change the engine oil and maybe get an oil analysis done since you would be changing it anyways. You could have the trans fluid changed, but from what I read it is at least a $1000 job. You could also have an independent mechanic look over it really well and see if there are any issues. If it is still under warranty, you could try to get them fixed under warranty. I am sure someone who is more mechanically inclined than me can offer more insight. If you buy a car like this in the future, I would recommend checking the Carfax before you buy it.

I think that it will be fine because it is low mileage, not much time for someone to do a lot of damage to the car.

This is also why I wouldn't buy a leased Hellcat. I don't trust people to take care of leases.

· Registered
311 Posts
If the oil was changed and the car was never modified, it is perfectly fine and there is no need to worry. These engines and transmissions are VERY conservatively tuned from the factory and are designed to take a beating without getting hurt. If ANYTHING would break, it would be something in the driveline that would have had to been fixed for you to even drive the car. Just relax and enjoy how impressive these cars truly are!

· Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,965 Posts
Good day everyone,

I bought a 2018 Hellcat that was leased. The car has about 10k miles but of course coming from a lease, it's probably been driven hard. It's gone through one tire change, Oil changes weren't done at correct intervals (1x a year) per CarFax.

So my question is, say if they car was driven hard, not really taken care of as it should be, can I reverse any of the damage made onto the car, engine and transmission in particular. I would like to keep this car for a really long time, 20+ years. How can I make this car last "forever". Is there a way for me to check on the overall health of the engine/transmission via dealership shops.

Thanks for any advice.
These cars are VERY overbuilt from the factory. If the car is stock and someone changed the oil at regular intervals, someone would have had to beat the piss out of it for it to be damaged at 10k miles.

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,188 Posts
Good day everyone,

Thanks for any advice.
The process of helping to ensure the car delivers long and trouble free service starts at mile 1. That you bought a leased car with 10K miles means -- of course -- mile 1 is long gone...

And if there has been any "damage" to the car/engine you can't undo that.

All you can do is bring the services up to date: oil/filter, engine air filter, cabin air filter (they stink after a while), get the brake fluid flushed/bled. Then drive the car. The odds are the car will be fine. With proper servicing and care and use the odds are the car will deliver a long and trouble free life.

· Registered
2021 Challenger Redeye
232 Posts
I don't think it would really be that bad for the engine if the oil was only changed once a year, as long as it wasn't more than 5000 miles each time. I think an oil analysis or having someone look into the engine with a scope would give you a good idea of the shape it is in. Expensive scan tools are also good enough that they will tell a mechanic if the engine is running right and if the transmission is shifting correctly. I don't think that you could really reverse any damage without completely rebuilding the engine/trans or getting new ones. I personally would just change the engine oil and maybe get an oil analysis done since you would be changing it anyways. You could have the trans fluid changed, but from what I read it is at least a $1000 job. You could also have an independent mechanic look over it really well and see if there are any issues. If it is still under warranty, you could try to get them fixed under warranty. I am sure someone who is more mechanically inclined than me can offer more insight. If you buy a car like this in the future, I would recommend checking the Carfax before you buy it.

I think that it will be fine because it is low mileage, not much time for someone to do a lot of damage to the car.

This is also why I wouldn't buy a leased Hellcat. I don't trust people to take care of leases.

· Premium Member
2019 Redeye Challenger widebody (Octane Red)
154 Posts
I believe Snowman and Blkout pretty much covered it. I went to Radford Racing and drove their cars as hard as I could and asked one of the instructors about the cars taking a beating and how they hold up. Actually he said almost verbatim what Blkout said “Dodge didn’t know what it would take to warranty a 700 horsepower vehicle and over engineered them“. He said the only thing they do is change oil, brake pads and brake fluid….otherwise, these things are rock solid. I can almost guarantee your car wasn’t driven as hard as the Radford cars are driven.

I agree with Snowman…..chill out and enjoy the car for another 20 years, you could buy a brand new one and have problems.

SB

· Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,204 Posts
Just a few quarts of this will instantly make it a brand new engine and drive train. lol :)

Tin Bottle Liquid Automotive tire Fluid

No but seriously, I agree with the as long as it had oil changes all will be well even with hard driving sentiment. If they drove it hard, the level of enjoyment would have compelled them to buy out the lease and keep it.

· Registered
3,806 Posts
Good day everyone,

Thanks for any advice.
Sure. Frame it tub it

· Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
814 Posts
Uh oh, I think SickToo and Unholy707 are actually the same person. :sneaky:

· Registered
Challenger RedEye
170 Posts
Modern synthetic oils don’t really need changing every 5,000 unless it was a dedicated track car. The 5k change is a throwback to the days of mineral oil. In Europe the car judges the oil change based on driving not just miles and/or time. I had Audis and BMWs that regularly indicated a change needed around 20k miles and they ran fine into 6 figures with zero engine issues.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts