SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Good day everyone,

I bought a 2018 Hellcat that was leased. The car has about 10k miles but of course coming from a lease, it's probably been driven hard. It's gone through one tire change, Oil changes weren't done at correct intervals (1x a year) per CarFax.

So my question is, say if they car was driven hard, not really taken care of as it should be, can I reverse any of the damage made onto the car, engine and transmission in particular. I would like to keep this car for a really long time, 20+ years. How can I make this car last "forever". Is there a way for me to check on the overall health of the engine/transmission via dealership shops.

Thanks for any advice.
I bought a 2016 with 13k, probably used as a track toy. I would just change the oil either yourself or a shop so you can start your own papertrail. Thats the first thing I did and thank god because they put a ******* cheap ass car quest oil filter on it.

· Registered
2015 Challenger SRT M6 Hellcat
1,049 Posts
can I reverse any of the damage made onto the car, engine and transmission
You really can't reverse any damage, you can only repair issues as they present themselves. What you're really asking is how you can delay inevitable failures short of buying all new components. And to that, the simplest answer is to adhere to regular and preventative maintenance schedules and start putting aside money to cover inevitable expensive repairs.

· Registered
330 Posts
Sorry to break it to you, cars on borrowed time. I'm amazed it made it back to your house. In the spirit of the holidays, I'll unburden you and take it off your hands for .30 cents on your dollar.😎🤣
Enjoy the ride, change the fluids and you'll be good to go 👍

· Banned
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
3,421 Posts
You are already all in, too late to do anything about it. Maybe change all the fluids, have the brakes checked (brake condition is a great indicator of hard driving because worn brakes are usually an indication of a heavy foot, on both pedals!). Get the car up to snuff and enjoy it. If it gives you any indications of problems, dump it and try another!

· Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
8,547 Posts
Good day everyone,

I bought a 2018 Hellcat that was leased. The car has about 10k miles but of course coming from a lease, it's probably been driven hard. It's gone through one tire change, Oil changes weren't done at correct intervals (1x a year) per CarFax.

So my question is, say if they car was driven hard, not really taken care of as it should be, can I reverse any of the damage made onto the car, engine and transmission in particular. I would like to keep this car for a really long time, 20+ years. How can I make this car last "forever". Is there a way for me to check on the overall health of the engine/transmission via dealership shops.

Thanks for any advice.
Back in 2015 my husband and I started modifying our Hellcats for Dragracing. Josh at High Horse Performance a supporting vendor on here was Building and Tuning or Hellcats for the R&D and T&T for parts and Diablo Tuning.
The reason I tell you this is because today there are OEM parts that can be purchased at Genuine OEM Mopar Parts & Accessories | EastCoastMoparts.com | EastcoastMoparts and if you ever have the need or want to build something stronger like your Transmission you can always call sales at High Horse Performance

What you do want to find out if Code P1400 shows up. That will tell you that the Hellcat has bee previously Modified and Tuned. And yes, I have seen many members on here post up the were modifying and Tuning a Leased Hellcat.

Linda :)

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
816 Posts
If you're concerned about the engine then run a leak down/compression test on it. It will give you an idea of what shape that it's in and might give you some piece of mind. Blackstone Labs that was mentioned is a good idea too.

I actually think that if they went through just one set of tires that your Cat wasn't beat on that badly! :D

· Registered
79 Posts
Your car is just fine. If you really want to know more about the engine condition though, do an oil analysis as recommended, and if that comes back suspect, a compression and leak down test may be in order. The trans oil on these is considered "lifetime", which I'm not a huge fan of, but certainly doesnt need to be changed before 50k.
Stop worrying and enjoy it. Eventually everything will break down, but these cars are built very tough.

Reactions: southpaw

· Registered
Challenger SRT Super Stock
650 Posts
Making assumptions that a car was "damaged" or "abused" because it was a lease is silly. And even if a car was tracked a few times, unmodified and at 10K miles, the motor is fine unless you can detect sounds or issues.

I traded my originally leased 18' at 10K miles and the car was damn near perfect. Maybe you now own it? :)

· Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
178 Posts
Id be more concerned about driveshaft/diff. My 2016 that i got used had a bad drive shaft and metal shavings all up in the differential.

Reactions: southpaw

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Making assumptions that a car was "damaged" or "abused" because it was a lease is silly. And even if a car was tracked a few times, unmodified and at 10K miles, the motor is fine unless you can detect sounds or issues.

I traded my originally leased 18' at 10K miles and the car was damn near perfect. Maybe you now own it? :)
I hope would hope I’m the new owner lol

· Registered
3 Posts
Good day everyone,

So my question is, say if they car was driven hard, not really taken care of as it should be, can I reverse any of the damage made onto the car, engine and transmission in particular. I would like to keep this car for a really long time, 20 years. How can I make this car last "forever". Is there a way for me to check on the overall health of the engine/transmission via dealership shops.

Thanks for any advice.
It could have been driven hard. But maybe not. I have a 2018 with very low miles and I don't get on it hard. Best of luck great car!

· Registered
3 Posts
Good day everyone,

Thanks for any advice.
Best of luck with that car. I have one I don't drive it hard so could be fine anyway.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts