SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Reversing the damages done on my Hellcat

2897 Views 48 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  9secSRT
Good day everyone,

I bought a 2018 Hellcat that was leased. The car has about 10k miles but of course coming from a lease, it's probably been driven hard. It's gone through one tire change, Oil changes weren't done at correct intervals (1x a year) per CarFax.

So my question is, say if they car was driven hard, not really taken care of as it should be, can I reverse any of the damage made onto the car, engine and transmission in particular. I would like to keep this car for a really long time, 20+ years. How can I make this car last "forever". Is there a way for me to check on the overall health of the engine/transmission via dealership shops.

Thanks for any advice.
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
171 Posts
I don't think it would really be that bad for the engine if the oil was only changed once a year, as long as it wasn't more than 5000 miles each time. I think an oil analysis or having someone look into the engine with a scope would give you a good idea of the shape it is in. Expensive scan tools are also good enough that they will tell a mechanic if the engine is running right and if the transmission is shifting correctly. I don't think that you could really reverse any damage without completely rebuilding the engine/trans or getting new ones. I personally would just change the engine oil and maybe get an oil analysis done since you would be changing it anyways. You could have the trans fluid changed, but from what I read it is at least a $1000 job. You could also have an independent mechanic look over it really well and see if there are any issues. If it is still under warranty, you could try to get them fixed under warranty. I am sure someone who is more mechanically inclined than me can offer more insight. If you buy a car like this in the future, I would recommend checking the Carfax before you buy it.

I think that it will be fine because it is low mileage, not much time for someone to do a lot of damage to the car.

This is also why I wouldn't buy a leased Hellcat. I don't trust people to take care of leases.
How does someone explain the cost of 10 quarts of fluid and an hour labor totals up to $1000?

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
266 Posts
If I remember right, the filter is part of the pan, so you have to replace the entire part. Which I think is expensive. I doubt the fluid is cheap either.
Yes the ZF trans is very expensive to service. The oil pan ( it's plastic ) does contain the filter, and the special ZF fluid here in Canada is over $60.00 a litre, and the pan close to $200. The dealer service department told me to drive it to destruction and install a new one if it ever came to that, and they doubted it ever would. With labour the service, if I wanted it done, would be $1400.00 before taxes.

· Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,965 Posts
Modern synthetic oils don’t really need changing every 5,000 unless it was a dedicated track car. The 5k change is a throwback to the days of mineral oil. In Europe the car judges the oil change based on driving not just miles and/or time. I had Audis and BMWs that regularly indicated a change needed around 20k miles and they ran fine into 6 figures with zero engine issues.
You're probably not wrong about the oil, but the oil filter should be changed more regularly than 20k.

· Registered
(1250whp Forged turbo wk2)(Hellscat widebody charger)(Lifted f250 super duty)
74 Posts
Hey man here are a couple things you can do that Will definitely give you some signs ..
1. Do a compression test (will
Let you know how the motor is sealed up rings,valves and so on
2. Get a magnetic oil drain plug will show if you have metal shavings in the oil

41 - 49 of 49 Posts