SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my letter from FCA yesterday. It's for my 21 HC WB. I was planning on getting the updated valet mode, but had my doubts when reading about others having issues with CELs. This seems more of a deterrent to having the car stolen. I'll be ordering one more key as a back up (never lost a key yet...). If you can't read the RF Hub, there's no chance of starting the car anyway. I also received the pull cover from Jamie (super nice product). I should be covered!

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,224 Posts
I received my letter from FCA yesterday. It's for my 21 HC WB. I was planning on getting the updated valet mode, but had my doubts when reading about others having issues with CELs. This seems more of a deterrent to having the car stolen. I'll be ordering one more key as a back up (never lost a key yet...). If you can't read the RF Hub, there's no chance of starting the car anyway. I also received the pull cover from Jamie (super nice product). I should be covered!
FWIW, while I never lost a smart key I had several go bad over the years. In this case a replacement key was ordered and the tech was able to remove the bad key's RFID from the list of keys in the car's security module and then add the new key's RFID.

In the case of the RF hub being "locked" this can't happen. To let it happen would require a new RF hub be bought and installed then the current working keys introduced to the car's security system along with the new replacement key. Then this replacement RF hub locked. That would make replacing any bad keys a pretty expensive procedure which is already a bit expensive when done the "old" way.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FWIW, while I never lost a smart key I had several go bad over the years. In this case a replacement key was ordered and the tech was able to remove the bad key's RFID from the list of keys in the car's security module and then add the new key's RFID.

In the case of the RF hub being "locked" this can't happen. To let it happen would require a new RF hub be bought and installed then the current working keys introduced to the car's security system along with the new replacement key. Then this replacement RF hub locked. That would make replacing any bad keys a pretty expensive procedure which is already a bit expensive when done the "old" way.
Of all these cars I've had, never once have I lost a key, or for that matter, I have never had a fob stop working(besides the batteries). By adding an extra red key now, I think I'll be covered for a while. I think all this comes down to peace of mind knowing the car will be that much more safe.

· Registered
3,224 Posts
Of all these cars I've had, never once have I lost a key, or for that matter, I have never had a fob stop working(besides the batteries). By adding an extra red key now, I think I'll be covered for a while. I think all this comes down to peace of mind knowing the car will be that much more safe.
While the RF hub disable prevents someone from adding a key to the car's security system, the car is much more likely to be stolen the old fashion way: Picked up with a tow truck using a stinger or a flat bed with a tilting bed and a winch to pull the car onto the bed of the tow truck and drive off with the car disabled RF hub and all.

Or based on the reports of a big increase in car thefts in a lot of cities having someone shove a gun in your face and demand the car key...

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While the RF hub disable prevents someone from adding a key to the car's security system, the car is much more likely to be stolen the old fashion way: Picked up with a tow truck using a stinger or a flat bed with a tilting bed and a winch to pull the car onto the bed of the tow truck and drive off with the car disabled RF hub and all.

Or based on the reports of a big increase in car thefts in a lot of cities having someone shove a gun in your face and demand the car key...
In the end, if they really want it, they'll probably get it.

· Registered
3,224 Posts
In the end, if they really want it, they'll probably get it.
True.

Want to point out all the extra security does is make the use of the vehicle more complicated for the legitimate user. The thief only has to deal with the car once so he could care less. He has already decided to take something that doesn't belong to him and unless he finds the car unlocked and the key in the car he's prepared for a bit of "resistance".

While I am not particularly concerned about the theft of my Challenger (or my van) for my Challenger I think I'll look into disabling the keyless entry feature. To me it is not a hardship to have to push a button on the keyfob to unlock the car. This is what I have had to do for years of previous car ownership. And still have to do with my van.

Another auto theft technique that is gaining in popularity is to put a tracking device on the car then one can know where it is parked at night. This then can lead to a home invasion robbery with not only the car a target but money jewelry guns bank cards etc. The victim's car is used as a get away vehicle and to haul the loot away which just adds insult to injury.

· Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
134 Posts
The passive entry can be disabled easily. Can also erase the fobs if you lose one. I just purchased faraday pouches to store my keys in. Also store the car in my shop with padlocked doors, cameras and a alarm on the building.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.