SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger HC A8
87 Posts
Some of you are missing the point. Its not about the markup, its about that they have it clearly advertised for under sticker and then when you get there, they bait and switch the price on you to the tune of $50k. If it was priced at $120k on both cars.com and their dealer site, then there would be no issue here except for it being grossly overpriced. The problem is that technically they are breaking florida consumer law by posting it for sale at one price, then changing that price in person. That would all be up to interpretation by attorneys, but that's what it looks like. And as I said above, you'd be mighty pissed to drive from a few hours away to go buy this thing, only to be greeted by a $50k ADM when you get there. I know I would be.
Ehhh, I get your point but I am sure FLA gives dealers an out such as long as the dealer has a disclaimer posted somewhere that they aren't responsible for nor obligated to honor erroneous pricing.

As far as those ADM's. As long as buyers are willing to pay it, they'll keep adding them.

Look at Ford dealers and their ADM's on the GT500's, I saw a local dealer which I thought had reasonable pricing on their cars had a 50K ADM on their GT500 a while back, and it was gone pretty quick.

The dealers know there are people with more money than common sense willing to buy no matter the price ...

·
Registered
2021 SRT Super Stock
403 Posts
Some of you are missing the point. Its not about the markup, its about that they have it clearly advertised for under sticker and then when you get there, they bait and switch the price on you to the tune of $50k. If it was priced at $120k on both cars.com and their dealer site, then there would be no issue here except for it being grossly overpriced. The problem is that technically they are breaking florida consumer law by posting it for sale at one price, then changing that price in person. That would all be up to interpretation by attorneys, but that's what it looks like. And as I said above, you'd be mighty pissed to drive from a few hours away to go buy this thing, only to be greeted by a $50k ADM when you get there. I know I would be.
No, I get the point (if you read my earlier post)...but this thread was going in two different directions and I tried at address both.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,171 Posts
Call Vatland Dodge in Vero Beach.

·
Registered
In The Market
1,526 Posts
California Dealers are ADM whores too. Some anyway. Talked with a C8 Vette owner who paid $135 for it. Nuts.

·
Registered
2021 WB Charger Hellcat on order
16 Posts
I think the ADM arguement is a moot point when plenty of dealers are selling for MSRP or below. It is no longer a "Market" issue, but an unfair business practice. You can argue all you want about how things should be.. but there are laws on the books, the expectation is that they are followed or there is consequences.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think the ADM arguement is a moot point when plenty of dealers are selling for MSRP or below. It is no longer a "Market" issue, but an unfair business practice. You can argue all you want about how things should be.. but there are laws on the books, the expectation is that they are followed or there is consequences.
I disagree with everything you said. The imbalance between supply (very low) and demand (high) means that you are going to pay MSRP on everyday vehicles and over on in-demand vehicles. It is absolutely a market issue, drive past any dealership and look at the wide open empty asphalt where new cars should be. But if you think I'm wrong please post some photos of your local dealers and their full lots, please give me some examples of people that are buying cars off the dealer lots at discounted prices, I'd love to see it. There are no laws that say that dealers have to sell at MSRP, such laws are called Restraint of Trade and are unconstitutional, those laws have been struck down every time they're tried (by politicians who know they won't stick but push them through anyway to give their low information constituency the impression they're doing something).

·
Registered
2020 Challenger HC A8
87 Posts
I disagree with everything you said. The imbalance between supply (very low) and demand (high) means that you are going to pay MSRP on everyday vehicles and over on in-demand vehicles. It is absolutely a market issue, drive past any dealership and look at the wide open empty asphalt where new cars should be. But if you think I'm wrong please post some photos of your local dealers and their full lots, please give me some examples of people that are buying cars off the dealer lots at discounted prices, I'd love to see it. There are no laws that say that dealers have to sell at MSRP, such laws are called Restraint of Trade and are unconstitutional, those laws have been struck down every time they're tried (by politicians who know they won't stick but push them through anyway to give their low information constituency the impression they're doing something).

I agree with you, And as far as I know we still have a free market here and as the other guy posted, there are dealers that sell cars below MSRP, and the only way to keep stealers from adding ADM is for people with more money than sense to stop over paying just so they can say look at my new shinny toy.

Real estate has gotten about as bad around me with all that newly printed money over paying for properties driving prices thru the roof [pun intended] ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you can prove that they are not abiding by pricing and advertising laws, and that the same product could be purchased at another dealer for MSRP, how can you rationalize that then?
ADM is now a label to justify illegal activity. Market price should be consistent based on the market... I find it hard to argue a hidden $50k markup could be argued as a market adjustment.. just because other dealerships may be doing it.

Othe State Attorney Generals (Maryland) have already warned dealerships they are in violation of similar laws.

·
Registered
2021 SRT Super Stock
403 Posts
Are you talking about the bait-and-switch practice? If so, then I agree with you...but if you're just talking about dealers adding an ADM I completely disagree. Please show me where there is a law stating that the dealer cannot ask what they want to for a vehicle. Again, the MSRP is Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price, not manufacturer's price fixed by law.

I agree with the comment that the market should hopefully put these dealers with ADMs out of business.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you can prove...that the same product could be purchased at another dealer for MSRP, how can you rationalize that then?
ADM is now a label to justify illegal activity. Market price should be consistent based on the market... I find it hard to argue a hidden $50k markup could be argued as a market adjustment.. just because other dealerships may be doing it.

Othe State Attorney Generals (Maryland) have already warned dealerships they are in violation of similar laws.
You're 100% wrong. Anyone can ask any amount they want for anything they are selling. If you don't agree with the price then don't pay it. No one is forcing you to buy anything, it's a free and open market.

ADMs are not illegal. Some attorney general may have send a toothless letter to dealers in order to show their voters that they care but you'll notice no suits were filed...because it's not illegal.

Lots of amateur lawyers on here, too, I've noticed.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I agree with the comment that the market should hopefully put these dealers with ADMs out of business.
But it won't. There will always be someone who wants it more than you. There will always be someone who "has to have it" and has more money than sense. There will always be someone who has to have the newest thing and is willing to pay for the privilege.

On a similar note, about two months ago I was in the market for a new Compass for my son. Our local dealer had three, including a still new 2020, and wouldn't come off MSRP on any of them. I ended up buying a Cherokee because it was more car for not a lot more money but the 2020 Compass just sold...to someone I know...at full MSRP. Why? He wanted a Compass, wanted new and liked the color. And has no complaints.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If a price is advertised clearly (which it is on their website) with a clear understanding of what the advertised price excludes (tax, title, liscense,etc) the Florida law (posted previously) is crystal clear that charging $50k more when you show up is illegal. Which is what they are alleged to be doing.

Regardless of your feelings, the law is clear.

·
Registered
2021 SRT Super Stock
403 Posts
If a price is advertised clearly (which it is on their website) with a clear understanding of what the advertised price excludes (tax, title, liscense,etc) the Florida law (posted previously) is crystal clear that charging $50k more when you show up is illegal. Which is what they are alleged to be doing.

Regardless of your feelings, the law is clear.
Right, that's bait-and-switch and I think we all agree it's not legal...but ADM is legal. Many dealers do list ADM on their websites.

·
Registered
In The Market
1,526 Posts
You're 100% wrong. Anyone can ask any amount they want for anything they are selling. If you don't agree with the price then don't pay it. No one is forcing you to buy anything, it's a free and open market.

ADMs are not illegal. Some attorney general may have send a toothless letter to dealers in order to show their voters that they care but you'll notice no suits were filed...because it's not illegal.

Lots of amateur lawyers on here, too, I've noticed.
Right. And they are still Whores.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've become bored trying to teach economics to people that don't want to learn so the last thing I'll say is that, yes, car dealers are whores because we're all whores because we all want as much as we can get. Look at the people on this site who say they sold to Carvana for $X because it was more than Vroom offered and both offers were more than they paid for the car. All of you amateur lawyers that know so much about the law should file complaints with your AGs because they made a profit on their cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone I saw a beautiful blue hellcat charger listed on cars.com in South Florida for what seem to be a reasonable price sent my information to the dealership and got a callback today that the car was still available. So during lunch I went to look at the car and somehow the sticker price was $50,000 more than they had it advertised for I’m still waiting to see what there reply is. Anyone know how to get a hold of Jake may have to place an order and wait on it
Hello everyone I saw a beautiful blue hellcat charger listed on cars.com in South Florida for what seem to be a reasonable price sent my information to the dealership and got a callback today that the car was still available. So during lunch I went to look at the car and somehow the sticker price was $50,000 more than they had it advertised for I’m still waiting to see what there reply is. Anyone know how to get a hold of Jake may have to place an order and wait on it
I seen the same BS when I was looking at that same dealer. The Dodge Dealership in Brunswick GA has a Green Hellcat. Checkout step one automotive. MSRP @ $93,390. I bought mine at Kernersville Dodge in NC for MSRP. There are several dealerships that will trailer the vehicle to you as well. Don’t narrow your search, cast a wide net. Good luck.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts