SRT Hellcat Forum banner

441 - 460 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
644 Posts
ORRRRRRRRR.......

You could leave your car exactly the way it is right now and do absolutely nothing. But put an instructor in the seat and see how much time you’re leaving on the table. When your time is matching that instructors time start doing upgrades.

Your car has a lot more capability then you give it credit for as it is right now. The driver time and seat time is really what’s necessary. Not car modifications.

We need a Smiley with a stick poking the poo emoticon.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Speaking of suspension, have you guys seen these shocks coming out from Wesley motor sports? These guys make dodge race cars so I’d imagine they’d be pretty good.

Personally, I want to get some type of adjustable setup for next year. The H&R Springs with the stock Bilsteins feel good on the track, but some of the crap highways we have around here have some undulating surfaces and if you hit them going 90mph the car doesn’t do a great job soaking them up. There is one I need to watch cause I feel it could send me airborne if I am going to fast. Also, kinda over being so low all the time. I need to find something that is a balanced compromise for street and track. If I keep the bilsteins on, maybe I’ll get the less aggressive eibach or Mopar springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are systems to lower and raise your car available. Pick a spring rate you can live with at a ride height for the track, then use the pneumatic spring seats to raise car to fun-in-the-real-world level for normal use.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
ORRRRRRRRR.......

You could leave your car exactly the way it is right now and do absolutely nothing.
Boo! You're no fun.
Mods are fun. Life is not complete without them.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
644 Posts
Boo! You're no fun.
Mods are fun. Life is not complete without them.
Tell me about it!
For my SXS (CanAm Maverick X3 - 195 hp weeeeeee!) ive probably spent $10k (or more) on a $28k machine. All stupid money for a toy!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
Tell me about it!
For my SXS (CanAm Maverick X3 - 195 hp weeeeeee!) ive probably spent $10k (or more) on a $28k machine. All stupid money for a toy!
Oh, that's a gut punch. They're my competition.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye, Triple Nickel
24 Posts
ORRRRRRRRR.......

You could leave your car exactly the way it is right now and do absolutely nothing. But put an instructor in the seat and see how much time you’re leaving on the table. When your time is matching that instructors time start doing upgrades.

Your car has a lot more capability then you give it credit for as it is right now. The driver time and seat time is really what’s necessary. Not car modifications.

We need a Smiley with a stick poking the poo emoticon.
I hear what you are saying. This is my first year for HPDE's, and I have never had an in-car-instructor due to COVID-19 restrictions. I decided on the tire change because I was pushing the OEM all-season 275/40's beyond their limits. Now that I have the 285/35 PS4S's on the Redeye, I will probably get the Mopar Performance Springs next. I hate wheel gap. If the Mopar Performance Spings will help eliminate the wheel gap and help lower the center of gravity, then that would be a win-win for me. That will probably be the last mod for me until I can actually get some in-car-instruction and a lot more seat time.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,342 Posts
I hear what you are saying. This is my first year for HPDE's, and I have never had an in-car-instructor due to COVID-19 restrictions. I decided on the tire change because I was pushing the OEM all-season 275/40's beyond their limits. Now that I have the 285/35 PS4S's on the Redeye, I will probably get the Mopar Performance Springs next. I hate wheel gap. If the Mopar Performance Spings will help eliminate the wheel gap and help lower the center of gravity, then that would be a win-win for me. That will probably be the last mod for me until I can actually get some in-car-instruction and a lot more seat time.
My post #432. Picture of a lowered Hellcat with those tires. It will work great.

Reactions: sad

·
Registered
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody
211 Posts
For all those that think the summer P-Zero tires are bad, I just spent the weekend at Sebring International for HPDE. Advanced to HPDE 2/BLUE group which means much less passing for this Redeye. Bone stock it performs very well! I'm sure there are much better options, but these tires stick pretty well. If you have not tried an HPDE for some track time, I encourage it! It is a great way to learn to drive these cars in a controlled environment, especially with an instructor to teach you how to drive the car fast. 32 psi front, 28 psi rear seemed to work well, as a starting point for my driving style. Once again, only 3 cars (with significant modifications) out of 39 in my group were able to pass me all weekend which is a testament to how good these cars are from the factory. Along with improving my skills, stickier tires would help along with some track brake pads. I was not comfortable staying in the throttle to the end of the front and back straights, so I lifted at 145 mph on the back straight before coasting a bit, as turn 17 is a difficult to figure out 180° turn. Cannot explain how much fun this car is on the track! Another point...make sure on street tires you have this car straight or almost straight before you apply full power...as I had a significant tank-slapper when I applied too much throttle and was still slightly in a turn during the first session on Saturday morning. Stayed on the track, no damage, but at 70 mph or so it will get your attention! I was the only MOPAR on the track at this event, which is kind of sad. Hope to see you out there next time!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
644 Posts
For all those that think the summer P-Zero tires are bad, I just spent the weekend at Sebring International for HPDE. Advanced to HPDE 2/BLUE group which means much less passing for this Redeye. Bone stock it performs very well! I'm sure there are much better options, but these tires stick pretty well. If you have not tried an HPDE for some track time, I encourage it! It is a great way to learn to drive these cars in a controlled environment, especially with an instructor to teach you how to drive the car fast. 32 psi front, 28 psi rear seemed to work well, as a starting point for my driving style. Once again, only 3 cars (with significant modifications) out of 39 in my group were able to pass me all weekend which is a testament to how good these cars are from the factory. Along with improving my skills, stickier tires would help along with some track brake pads. I was not comfortable staying in the throttle to the end of the front and back straights, so I lifted at 145 mph on the back straight before coasting a bit, as turn 17 is a difficult to figure out 180° turn. Cannot explain how much fun this car is on the track! Another point...make sure on street tires you have this car straight or almost straight before you apply full power...as I had a significant tank-slapper when I applied too much throttle and was still slightly in a turn during the first session on Saturday morning. Stayed on the track, no damage, but at 70 mph or so it will get your attention! I was the only MOPAR on the track at this event, which is kind of sad. Hope to see you out there next time!
glad you had a great time. Testament to the sport. A lot of the discomfort of uncertainty you expressed will come from practice and muscle memory. Just like approaching a turn at an intersection on the street. You don’t think about the approach or turn speed at all, you just do it naturally. On the track, seat time will give you an eye for that - not 100%, but pretty good on it.

On the throttle application... Not 100% sure what you’re referring to when you say full throttle, so I’ll reply anyway... it’s never “apply” full throttle.... it’s always squeeze the throttle.... and smoothly...

We brake prior to turn, or trail brake into the turn with practice... and then apply “maintenance” throttle thru the turn (once again with practice) and on the way out, we’re sqeezing while using our maintenance throttle position as our starting point.... all while we’re not yet straight out of the turn..... And then fully straight on turn exit, we can then apply/squeeze up to full throttle. Smooth is the key. If you’re waiting till turn exit and then going to full, then you’re leaving time on the table.

HTH

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey HTH, believe me I have the concept, it is gaining the experience for the perfect turn-in (as opposed to the tendency to turn in early), trail brake, apex and gently squeeze the throttle on and track out. I am still surprised at this car trying to accelerate 4730lb or so with me in it, that you cannot squeeze the throttle fully until almost completely straight, even approaching 100mph. The traction/stability contol is certainly helping and has kept me from looping it a few times! Amazing, can't wait until my next HPDE with track brake pads and eventually better tires! 10000 miles and a weekend HPDE and still well above the wear bars on the tires!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
644 Posts
Hey HTH, believe me I have the concept, it is gaining the experience for the perfect turn-in (as opposed to the tendency to turn in early), trail brake, apex and gently squeeze the throttle on and track out. I am still surprised at this car trying to accelerate 4730lb or so with me in it, that you cannot squeeze the throttle fully until almost completely straight, even approaching 100mph. The traction/stability contol is certainly helping and has kept me from looping it a few times! Amazing, can't wait until my next HPDE with track brake pads and eventually better tires! 10000 miles and a weekend HPDE and still well above the wear bars on the tires!
HTH = internet shorthand for Hope That Helps 😬

But no worries. Glad you’re having fun with it. It’s a disease/addiction. Nearly 4 years in it and lots of money spent!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Maybe you already have it nailed, but there is an amazing range of "pushing the limits" and you'll find a properly executed corner, correct entry speed (or slower), trail brake (left foot), apex and squeeze throttle on to exit can be done way faster and easier on the tires than a too fast entry or early turn in corner. I have just over 10k miles on these summer P-Zeros and 8 x 30 minute sessions of fairly hot laps and very even wear, well above the wear bars. I have to make myself turn in later on some corners, but man when you get it right the exit speed is much higher and overall much easier on the tires. And when I go in too hot or turn in early the front tires don't enjoy it nearly as much. Best lap at Sebring so far is just under 2:42, so about 92mph avg for 3.7 miles and 17 turns.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ran the car in HPDE 2/Blue at Sebring this weekend. Engine oil temp shifting manually in Track mode hovered in the 220°-225° range for the weekend. Was warmer on Sunday at about 85° OAT, but all temps on this car (save for maybe brake pad temps!) were very happy as best I could tell. Amazing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
DGatzby, what is your experience qith DTC60 and DTC70 brake pads, as you list both in your setup. I think I was overheating the OE Brembo pads. They work very well until they get too hot, then do not inspire confidence for me. I have what's left of the original pads, and another set of Brembos, but am looking forward to your input on track pads. I will probably be running HPDE at bigger tracks like Sebring for now.
I have Z26 pads, so will probably change to those for street use to limit dust and disc wear.
Thanks.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
644 Posts
DGatzby, what is your experience qith DTC60 and DTC70 brake pads, as you list both in your setup. I think I was overheating the OE Brembo pads. They work very well until they get too hot, then do not inspire confidence for me. I have what's left of the original pads, and another set of Brembos, but am looking forward to your input on track pads. I will probably be running HPDE at bigger tracks like Sebring for now.
I have Z26 pads, so will probably change to those for street use to limit dust and disc wear.
Thanks.
Get a infra point and shoot temp sensor. I have one in my "race box" i take with me. That way you know exactly what temps you’re at and can compare to specs.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
354 Posts
You have to change your brakes when you get to the track. And before you leave to go home. Keep the stock pads for the street. I use Pagid pads for track day. Easy on the rotors and no overheating. Bleed your brakes with Dot4 600-650 brake fluid after every track day.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,342 Posts
Thanks.
Get the -70’s. I tried to stagger them -70 back and -60’s front did not like it either. The -70’s have been solid for me.

441 - 460 of 505 Posts