SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several road course posts here and even watched some of the videos. I had a '20 R/T Scat Pack 1320 that I took a road course track day and I shifted the car manually with the car in Sport mode. I just bought some pads for the Hellcat I traded the 1320 for and I am preparing to attend a track day with the Hellcat. The questions I have for those of you that have participated in these events are:
1. Are you shifting the car manually or letting the car shift itself automatically?
2. Are you running in Sport Mode or Track Mode?

When I took the 1320 to the track, I shifted it manually but after the event it didn't seem to shift as sharp as it did previously. Perhaps this was attributable to the fluid getting hot and needing to be changed, but I found the Hellcat before I dug into this. With regards to the Sport Mode or Track Mode, some have stated that Track Mode is too stiff on the suspension and that the shifts are so sharp you can break the rear end loose in a turn.

I welcome the opinions of those of you that have been to the track...thanks!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,912 Posts
The trans. does pretty darn well on its own IMO. Full track mode for me and let ‘er rip. I took almost 5 seconds off my personal best time (from stock) by lowering the car and going with 285/35 Conti. Extreme Contact Sports on all fours. At least DOT4 brake fluid too. DOT5.1 if you’re hard core. I like Motul products.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody
202 Posts
1. Are you shifting the car manually or letting the car shift itself automatically?
2. Are you running in Sport Mode or Track Mode?
1. I let the car shift itself unless there's a specific spot where I know I need to make a change.
2. I run Sport Mode in the wet, Track Mode in the dry. I've gotten the rear end a little loose in Track Mode, but nothing that's uncontrollable. Even in Sport Mode, you're going to have to roll on the throttle coming out of a turn. It's virtually no different in Track Mode. High horsepower is high horsepower, and the trade off for being the fastest on the straight is being the lightest on the throttle at track out.

As for the suspension being too stiff in Track Mode - it certainly is on the street. I would never drive in that mode when I'm cruising around town. But on the track, I've never been bothered by it. So, it seems okay to me.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
895 Posts
Yes, let it work itself. I tried both SPORT and TRACK, but aren't sure which I liked better. I thought that SPORT was looser than TRACK also. I'm hoping semi-metallic pads? The Autobahn in IL is a short course, so I didn't have to worry about anything but steering! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Hawk DTC-60 Track Only pads arriving today.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,551 Posts
I run my car in Track mode overall but I use Sport TC. That seems to allow me a little more freedom at corner exit and I dropped about 1 second in lap times making that change.
I shift myself but I came from manual trans cars and I know what I want the car to do. I don't want any downshifts unless I command them.
The DTC60 is a good pad. They were my first foray into a race pad on my car. I've since moved to the DTC70 for most courses and will try the DTC80 for Road America only this year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not concerned about not being able to properly shift the vehicle, in fact this is one of the first cars I will track that has an automatic. I had a GT500 and a retired Bondurant (driving school) Corvette that were both manuals. My thought was that perhaps the computer optimized the shifts. Like TrackDay said above, I don't like unexpected downshifts on the track.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye, Triple Nickel
50 Posts
I do not think there is any way I could do better than the computer. So far, there are only a couple of turns where the downshifts bug me by unsettling the car. I grew up driving manuals, but there is a big difference between feeling connected to the car when using a clutch and a gearshift and feeling disconnected when using paddle shifters. I would probably also need some paddle extensions since my hands are small.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
895 Posts
Yes, it's been proven time and time again that humans are no match for circuit boards. That being said, it's beyond me why anyone would want a stick shift............ :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The purist in me wanted a manual, but when I found the 2016 Hellcat with 1261 miles I couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
2017 Daytona 392
89 Posts
track mode across the board for me. I'll short-shift for heat management and cool-down, but otherwise let the computer do its thing. I've only had a few issues with unwelcome shifts on hairpin exits, but otherwise it works fine.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,400 Posts
I am full Track Mode with occasions like the long chicane at Road America (hold gear at near neutral throttle), or turn #1 BIR (slow down from 160+ to say 110-125 whatever your balls say, then back to WOT heading to #2!), don’t want that thing doing anything unexpected at both of those spots, so I’ll intervene. Otherwise like most say, it works fine and sounds amazing. We always get great compliments on how it sounds.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,551 Posts
It's those comments above about those few instances that convince me to keep paddle shifting. Besides, controlling the gear is part of the enjoyment for me. I just have no need for a clutch anymore.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,912 Posts
It's those comments above about those few instances that convince me to keep paddle shifting. Besides, controlling the gear is part of the enjoyment for me. I just have no need for a clutch anymore.
The last time I tried paddle shifting the engine overheated. Forgot it’s not a flat plane crank I guess. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts