SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a video of my last session of the day at RMP, it started to rain about a quarter after four or so and didn't stop!
Made for a few slow laps but it was good to get the seat time and see where the water collected as well.
And I got to feel what aging NT05's feel like in the rain, and standing water. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I could get around the track at a normal driving pace faster than an average street/public road with that much water. I was glad to get the experience.
hellcat rain day.png

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
114 Posts
Hey thanks for sharing. Driving in the rain is good practice and fun. What traction control settings did you favor in the wet?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with the full default street mode that the car starts in. And it definitely intervened several times, but I wasn't out of control when it did, it just wouldn't let me apply throttle sometimes.
The most unnerving part about running on those tires in the rain was the huge degree of push the car had in corners, at no time did traction control jump in when the car was pushing, so I'd say that was the most dangerous part.
I had a bad pucker moment in turn 9 where the car pushed to the outside and I had to put the throttle down a bit get some oversteer or I would have been in the grass/mud for sure, the flagger at that station gave me the thumbs up.
8A is after a heavy down hill and B is turning in the dip before the hill climb up 9 there was a lot of water there,
In my video you can see me drive through a puddle at 2.05, it was on a later lap in the session where I was staying more left in 9 that it pushed super bad.
Now I wish I would have stopped in the hot pits after half the session and turned off the traction control and went back out to feel the difference, oh well maybe next time. Thanks Dodge for making me be at a stop and holding a button for an eternity to turn it off.
ridge track layout.jpg

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9,004 Posts
Thank you for sharing. Takes guts and practice on road conditions like that. Great job

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,715 Posts
You can be rolling 2-3mph, and can get up to speed as soon as you begin pressing it. Needs to be pressed about 4 seconds.

As long as you begin pressing you TC button at or under ~4mph, you can accelerate. Just don't let go until you get the ding.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,390 Posts
Smooth, nice work. Where are you at Carcass?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"I'm in the back and beyond,
same as always,
I'm in the back and beyond"
Critical Bill
:
Ridge motorsports park in Shelton Wa.
:
Actually, to be honest, I've been lurking around another forum quite a bit. Trying to decide what I want to do for next year or the following maybe. I'm looking to go a bit faster and with a competitive run group possibly. So I'm checking out other cars, E46 M3, C6 Z06, LS swapped E30, or maybe this!!
howe ta2 challenger.jpg

http://howeracing.com/Adobe/HoweTA20811.pdf
But its not street legal and I'm leaning on street legal at least for a minute.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,539 Posts
Carcass, if you truly want to go fastest on a road course, buy the smallest, lightest car you can find (Miata, S2000, etc) and turbocharge it. Mount some Hoosier tires and go embarrass the bigger cars. Your costs will be lower and you'll go faster. However, you'll miss the fun you've had in your Challenger.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree to the missing the Challenger part.
You just posted 666 messages!!
Carcass, if you truly want to go fastest on a road course, buy the smallest, lightest car you can find (Miata, S2000, etc) and turbocharge it. Mount some Hoosier tires and go embarrass the bigger cars. Your costs will be lower and you'll go faster. However, you'll miss the fun you've had in your Challenger.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,390 Posts
"I'm in the back and beyond,
same as always,
I'm in the back and beyond"
Critical Bill
:
Ridge motorsports park in Shelton Wa.
:
Actually, to be honest, I've been lurking around another forum quite a bit. Trying to decide what I want to do for next year or the following maybe. I'm looking to go a bit faster and with a competitive run group possibly. So I'm checking out other cars, E46 M3, C6 Z06, LS swapped E30, or maybe this!!
View attachment 72537
http://howeracing.com/Adobe/HoweTA20811.pdf
But its not street legal and I'm leaning on street legal at least for a minute.
I like those Howe Racing packages. Thanks! Once more experience is in hand, that may be the way to fly!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,390 Posts
DGatzby do you have a regular youtube channel?
I want to subscribe if you do,
Got it!! DGatzby on youtube.
Man I gotta get to BIR it looks so awesome!!
Monday Sep19 is the best day. Fly on in here and we will go up and run with the Vette guys all day. Sep 26 is another instruction day on both short and long courses. If it is dry, it should be real cool outside.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
199 Posts
I have not been to a road course yet. I had plans to this weekend and it is supposed to rain. Would you recommend I go, or wait for another time when it is dry out?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,539 Posts
I have not been to a road course yet. I had plans to this weekend and it is supposed to rain. Would you recommend I go, or wait for another time when it is dry out?
Driving in the rain can be very instructive. You just have to level set your expectations. Your speed will be down of course but that also means you can learn how to slide a little at a much slower speed your first time out.
Keep it in street mode and keep the traction mode fully on and go learn what your car does.
Above all don't get competitive with others in the rain. This is a time for you to learn. You won't be the fastest car on the course almost certainly.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I recommend going to the track when ever possible and whenever you get the chance ! The Hellcat will do fine in the rain with full tread type tires. At least at the local tracks around here, there is a good system of point by passing and no one expects you to try to set lap records with a street car anyways. It was raining the first day I had my car on the track, but I had already done an introductory track day in one of the track school rental cars which was a front Wheel drive, Chevy cobalt so I had a little experience getting on and off the track and seeing the flag stations. If you are not comfortable with it then wait, it is supposed to be about having fun. But otherwise don't miss a chance to get out there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts