SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Road Racing a Challenger

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ArchGE 
#1 ·
Anyone here road race their Challenger? I've done Watkins Glen and Pocono with my 86 Vette but will now be trying my '21 Challenger. Suggestions of any sort are welcome. I am installing a harness bar, 5pt belts etc. Has anyone tried the airbag bypass harnesses from Dragrcr? I'm trying to connect. Havent heard another method to defeat that system.
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Tire

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you post a link for that harness

#3 ·
There are a few of us crazy enough to go fast and see if we can turn them left and right. I would not start where your looking. You are not going to like that Challenger on those short tracks as much as that Vette at all. It will work, but they do better on bigger tracks with longer straights and longer radius turns. In five years, many rumble strips (with and without the DiabloSport suspension controller that minimizes all rumble strip vibration), many racing brake pads and rotors, even a spin out and striking a tire wall, my air bags have not deployed.

My advice, visit the road racing part of our home: Road Racing : AutoX : ORR (Open Road Racing)

Then take the new car out several times and get some laps in, BEFORE you do anything.

Now start with the brakes. When it begins working for you, your brakes (pad wear and potentially rotors) will be the weakest link. That is only after you discover the correct front alignment for correct tire wear and rear settings for traction. Lots of good info has been shared in our threads over the past few years, including lots of POV videos.

#4 ·
There are a few of us crazy enough to go fast and see if we can turn them left and right. I would not start where your looking. You are not going to like that Challenger on those short tracks as much as that Vette at all. It will work, but they do better on bigger tracks with longer straights and longer radius turns. In five years, many rumble strips (with and without the DiabloSport suspension controller that minimizes all rumble strip vibration), many racing brake pads and rotors, even a spin out and striking a tire wall, my air bags have not deployed.

My advice, visit the road racing part of our home: Road Racing : AutoX : ORR (Open Road Racing)

Then take the new car out several times and get some laps in, BEFORE you do anything.

Now start with the brakes. When it begins working for you, your brakes (pad wear and potentially rotors) will be the weakest link. That is only after you discover the correct front alignment for correct tire wear and rear settings for traction. Lots of good info has been shared in our threads over the past few years, including lots of POV videos.
Thank you for the links and info. Very much appreciated. Looking forward to checking it all out. I am going to do the harness bar and 4-5 point belts plus High Temp Brake fluid and later upgraded pads and rotors regardless. Seats remain to be determined but I want to have all the info and be prepared if I go that route. And yes, the Challenger is a much different beast when "trying" to change direction. And we are talking 4200lbs versus 3000. But, I do track days to better my skills and have fun versus competetive racing. It will be fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.