SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
More fun than a barrel of monkeys guzzling fuel. When ever I show up to the track(not lately because of that pesky flu going around) I get the usual stares. "That thing is too big." "That car wasn't made to track much less turn".
Then at the end of eight laps after I pass 12 of the 14 cars in my group(group B) folks wander over and ask a million questions while I pick those MIatas out of the front grill that sneek onto the track One of the reasons is because I can drive...or at least know the Hellcat Challenger better than those asking the questions.Only other experience I have is with a 2017 Viper ACR(no, not mine and way more car than I could handle), my S2000 and my sons M2(that, folks, is a great track car) I use Eibach suspension pieces. I live close to Eibach's US headquarters. So when I had them set up the car(they install what they sell at their headquarters...and yes I felt feable next to the GT3 and McClaren 570 that were on the adjacent racks next to my car... little did I know I was one of the first '19s to roll into their facility. Lots of changes started in 2019. They took photos and I found them. BTW. No rubbing. No bottoming out. Just stable planted tires. I am not endorsing Eibach. Its just that they support every form of racing and they only have two manufacturing facilities. So Cal and Germany.And they are close to where I live. So their parts have held up just fine. Here are the photos. Eibach Pro Suspension. Not that pansy one they offer.
60386609_10156326019108106_4918096467157057536_o.jpg
61015881_10156326019093106_5600334502955057152_o.jpg

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I like the way the car looks on those pro-springs.(y)(y) Did you also reset the negative camber i.e upper control arms in front and offset bushings in the rears?

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. The whole enchilada. Eibach doesn't mess around.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree, it's a blast regardless of mods or how it does compared to a GT500 or Corvette.

Spend 60 minutes swapping out the brake pads and tires, go have fun, then come home and spend a little time swapping fluids and pads/tires again (which I enjoy, I love wrenching on cars).

Then, wake up Monday morning and drive it to work. HK stereo turned up, windows down, cruising on the highway thinking "Damn, this car does everything pretty well".

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,486 Posts
More fun than a barrel of monkeys guzzling fuel. When ever I show up to the track(not lately because of that pesky flu going around) I get the usual stares. "That thing is too big." "That car wasn't made to track much less turn".
Then at the end of eight laps after I pass 12 of the 14 cars in my group(group B) folks wander over and ask a million questions while I pick those MIatas out of the front grill that sneek onto the track One of the reasons is because I can drive...or at least know the Hellcat Challenger better than those asking the questions.Only other experience I have is with a 2017 Viper ACR(no, not mine and way more car than I could handle), my S2000 and my sons M2(that, folks, is a great track car) I use Eibach suspension pieces. I live close to Eibach's US headquarters. So when I had them set up the car(they install what they sell at their headquarters...and yes I felt feable next to the GT3 and McClaren 570 that were on the adjacent racks next to my car... little did I know I was one of the first '19s to roll into their facility. Lots of changes started in 2019. They took photos and I found them. BTW. No rubbing. No bottoming out. Just stable planted tires. I am not endorsing Eibach. Its just that they support every form of racing and they only have two manufacturing facilities. So Cal and Germany.And they are close to where I live. So their parts have held up just fine. Here are the photos. Eibach Pro Suspension. Not that pansy one they offer.
What tracks do you go to?

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Fontana, Thunder Hill. All fast tracks. Big Willow is very fast. So the day before track day I swap out the brake pads with Power Stop 1405s. I already have steel braided brake lines(a must if you are going to flog these things) and use Amsoil's Dominator DOT4 Syn Racing brake fluid.
I get the car aligned depending if the track needs it. I have a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires handy. The Michelin PS4S's are very good but their sidewalls feel a little soft because of the weight of the car. Great tire for 99% of the time. So when our friend is available we load up my truck and he drives it to the track for the day. He gets free lunches and some passenger laps...not in that order. With strut braces, the suspension and frame boxing the car really does well. Track mode only. The engine is stock. Anymore power is like killing ants with a hammer.
Drag racing? Got that covered. 1969 Dodge Dart. Stroked 340, A904 built by Art Car. 4:11 Richmond sure grip 489 rear. MT drag radials. The car does one thing really good. Go forward fast. I run in the 10:50 index if conditions are great.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,486 Posts
Thanks for posting. Very few owners take the time to see how their car handles on a road course. There are better cars, sure, but with a little driving talent you can make just about any other car/owner combination work hard to keep you behind them. Heaven help them if there are some good high speed sections.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Fontana, Thunder Hill. All fast tracks. Big Willow is very fast. So the day before track day I swap out the brake pads with Power Stop 1405s. I already have steel braided brake lines(a must if you are going to flog these things) and use Amsoil's Dominator DOT4 Syn Racing brake fluid.
I get the car aligned depending if the track needs it. I have a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires handy. The Michelin PS4S's are very good but their sidewalls feel a little soft because of the weight of the car. Great tire for 99% of the time. So when our friend is available we load up my truck and he drives it to the track for the day. He gets free lunches and some passenger laps...not in that order. With strut braces, the suspension and frame boxing the car really does well. Track mode only. The engine is stock. Anymore power is like killing ants with a hammer.
Drag racing? Got that covered. 1969 Dodge Dart. Stroked 340, A904 built by Art Car. 4:11 Richmond sure grip 489 rear. MT drag radials. The car does one thing really good. Go forward fast. I run in the 10:50 index if conditions are great.
I gotta ask, because this is driving me crazy - do you get any vibrations out of the PS4s? Can't seem to get mime to not vibrate, no matter what is done.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
40 Posts
What does the Eibach Pro Suspension consist of?

I am piecing together suspension upgrades, Eibach being several parts of the whole.
(Pro Kit Springs, Adjustable Sway Bars, Endlinks, SPC front upper Control arms, rear camber bushings)
I'm still not done however. I also have Front n Rear strut bars and hopefully will be adding BMR subframe connectors, and Whiteline cradle bushings.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gotta ask, because this is driving me crazy - do you get any vibrations out of the PS4s? Can't seem to get mime to not vibrate, no matter what is done.
I haven't experienced vibration with the PS4S,s. I just made a round trip from LA to Chandler and it was smooth. Sometimes water builds up in the tire if you use air to keep them inflated. Too much water build up can cause a vibration. I use nitrogen because I track the car.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does the Eibach Pro Suspension consist of?

I am piecing together suspension upgrades, Eibach being several parts of the whole.
(Pro Kit Springs, Adjustable Sway Bars, Endlinks, SPC front upper Control arms, rear camber bushings)
I'm still not done however. I also have Front n Rear strut bars and hopefully will be adding BMR subframe connectors, and Whiteline cradle bushings.
Use the Eibach upper control arms and rear camber bushings. Don't forget Eibachs bump stops. Eibach manufactures other companies parts. They asked me not to name the companies when I went on a tour of their facility. You could even see other companies logos stamped/painted on parts as I walked through. It was nice to know their products are made in the US. Their manufacturing was mind boggling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great that you track your car! From the factory the HC was never meant to be a road track car. Even with mods, it's a damn heavy piece of machinery for a road race course with tires that just aren't wide enough. That doesn't detract from the fun factor though! :) I'm perfectly happy with our stock car and will just drive it daily till the snow come in mid / late October. What fun!

I've done some track stuff in my day. (Vipers) My experience says that road track racing (or autocross) has more to do with the driver than the car. I've seen race prepared VWs beat cars many times their equal in power when piloted by an instructor level guy versus a once in a while road track warrior with a powerful car.

A stock S2000 is an excellent xcross car as are most Miatas....especially prepared ones with a formidable driver. Unless the course is huge, big cars like HCs have little chance against them in an xcross venue when the dreaded PAX number is applied. Still fun though!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
355 Posts
Good to see I am not the only one who believes these cars are capable in the right hands.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup. Gotta be able to drive. And our cars respond well to track day mods. I don't autocross. Its boring. Plus all I see is a bunch of cones and get lost. I need a race track. And since I'm out west our tracks tend to be 2-3 miles long. I had a fully modded S2000. But their weak spot were brakes. It would have been more to upgrade the brake system to that car than all the modifications I did to my Challenger(sans tires). Did everything else good. I miss that car. It was a mini Viper. I would love to own a 2016-2018 Viper ACR but I would look like a poser. few people can drive that car to its extremes. Still better than anything built today. But like I said before. The looks I get pulling into the garage at 7am sure change by lunch time. Especially the GT350 guys. Its tough for them to give me the 'wave by'.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yup. Gotta be able to drive. And our cars respond well to track day mods. I don't autocross. Its boring. Plus all I see is a bunch of cones and get lost. I need a race track. And since I'm out west our tracks tend to be 2-3 miles long. I had a fully modded S2000. But their weak spot were brakes. It would have been more to upgrade the brake system to that car than all the modifications I did to my Challenger(sans tires). Did everything else good. I miss that car. It was a mini Viper. I would love to own a 2016-2018 Viper ACR but I would look like a poser. few people can drive that car to its extremes. Still better than anything built today. But like I said before. The looks I get pulling into the garage at 7am sure change by lunch time. Especially the GT350 guys. Its tough for them to give me the 'wave by'.
Yes, easy to miss cones, but that doesn't necessarily make it boring, it just means you're not as good at it as the road track venue. :) I missed cones occasionally too. I would have to walk my mistake in order not to repeat it. There was a SCCA summer series a couple miles from our house in the 2000s. I liked tracks better too and have done several. Problem was there's no track within 450-500 miles from here. Gingerman in South Haven, MI. would be my most frequented track. That was a 500 mile ride just to get there. No car trailers for us. We buy cars to drive them. My brother has had his CTS-V at Willow Springs a couple times.

We've got 155,000 Viper miles under our belt. 1000-1500 track miles and some high speed / car control schooling at Spring Mountain (Bragg-Smith) back in 2002. We have a factory pick up 2000 RT/10 Viper. 123,000 miles on the clock and counting. 70K miles with a 2.4L twin screw blower I put on in 2006. We've driven it all over the country. It has a 100 pounds more grunt than the Hellcat and about the same HP. Brakes on a G1/G2 Viper are also a weak link. It's the main reason I always like the shorter tracks. We also have a 2013 G5 Viper with the track package. It's a formidable track car right out of the box. Most of my track stuff was over about 10 years ago. A very fun chapter of life! I don't drag race...Never did. I know you're well aware that smooth is the name of the game for any kind of track stuff. Anybody can mash a gas pedal. That's likely part of the reason the GT350 guys have to point you by. (y) I might add few people can drive a G1 Viper to its limits, much less a G5 ACR ....certainly not the couple time a year track guy.

That all being said, this HC has moved to the top of the list for our overall fun car! ....and fun we're having! Our life tape measure is a little shorter than most here. We should have bought one earlier.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Spring Mountain is great. I only have been there once. Nicest facility I have raced at. Autox. I never could follow the cones. Probably carrying too much speed. I always felt like a spaz. Most people I know who own Vipers baby them. It's nice to see someone flog one. Then you know the magic that car can deliver. I am envious. And it sounds our tape measures of life are the same.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,159 Posts
Enjoying the thread guys. My Redeye has seen Hallett in OK early in May, Road America for two days in June and Brainerd International for two days in June. I think I may finally have the settings close to what works for me after getting all the adjustable AAD equipment and a few other suspension goodies installed now and tried a few things. I know I’ll do BIR once more, but I am keeping an eye out for late season or early season 2021 to run it more. Until then it sure is a blast on the street with big enough tires and a suspension to support about anything I want to try;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was all game to start SCCA my 19 WB M6 Scat, then Covid, then the Scat turned into a WB M6 Cat, so still looking at going out. and work a few mods in from trying it stock 1st. I'll be boat amongst the ricer's but I expect it will be fun!
There are a couple Stangs, and Vets, so at least I have a chance lol.

Reactions: Steve70

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't fight the others on the track, or the track itself. Focus on your lines and weaknesses of your car. You already know it's strengths. Don't get discouraged and don't burn up your equipment. Before every run check your oil and air. Save your brakes and expect to be scrutinized. Most guys are cool. Be one of them. Just try to beat your own time and not others on the track. Pay attention to the track workers and have fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was all game to start SCCA my 19 WB M6 Scat, then Covid, then the Scat turned into a WB M6 Cat, so still looking at going out. and work a few mods in from trying it stock 1st. I'll be boat amongst the ricer's but I expect it will be fun!
There are a couple Stangs, and Vets, so at least I have a chance lol.
You hit the nail on the head. It's all about having fun! You don't have to win to have fun. Pretty tough to win a regular xcross with a big car unless you're REALLY a good driver. If I remember, my initial classification was SS which then went to ASP. The cone set up is not typically kind to vehicles as wide as a pick up truck. The little cars can almost drift through them. I had the fastest time of the day once and took 7th place, but it was a lot of fun!

...one quick story comes to mind. On my last run of the day many years ago, I was at the start line waiting for the go signal. At the last minute, the starter came over and motioned my window down. What the heck was wrong I thought? He leaned in the window and very seriously said: "The crowd requests a smokey burnout" ...so I smoked em all the way to the 1st turn. Here's how I used to polish off a set of rears every year in the early days. 6 sets / 6 years. This was totally unplanned. Saw a normally busy lot pretty much empty, pulled in, did the deed, and left with smoke hanging in the air and cars pulling in. If you have good speakers crank it up! Belanger 5/3/1 tri Y headers and 3" pipe. No header sounds better on a Viper IHMO 😊

1 - 20 of 53 Posts