SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 WB Charger Hellcat
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from work a rock flew into my windshield and cracked it.

Got a quote from All Star glass, they want $410 for a non branded windshield, and $1100 for a mopar windshield.

Does this seem high to anyone else??

·
Registered
2020 WB Charger Hellcat
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked with insurance my deductible is $1000 not sure it would be worth making a claim... I’ll keep calling around.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That looks easily repaired. I've had much worse done and you don't even notice it after unless looking for it. Talk to satelite for a repair. Should be less than $100 IMHO.

·
Registered
2020 WB Charger Hellcat
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks easily repaired. I've had much worse done and you don't even notice it after unless looking for it. Talk to satelite for a repair. Should be less than $100 IMHO.
that’s great news, I’m going to call them in the morning. Thank you!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
752 Posts
Have it repaired ASAP the key is not to wait, driving over minor bumps will start spider webbing it

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
274 Posts
This happened to me back in August and it was a bad one. It had a crack and it split apart but 6 inches. I called my insurance and it was a 50$ deductible and it was performed by safelite with OEM glass with the challenger silhouette at the bottom.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,193 Posts

Got a quote from All Star glass, they want $410 for a non branded windshield, and $1100 for a mopar windshield.

Does this seem high to anyone else?? View attachment 567021
Been a few years ago but I had a windshield in my Porsche Boxster develop a crack from a rock chip. Had a $500 or maybe $1000 deductible.

I called around to a number of Porsche dealers. All admitted they contract out glass work to an independent shop but a few would not share the name of the shop. But a few did and all named Safelite. I contacted the Safelite office nearest me which was also nearest the Fremont CA Porsche dealer and had the glass replaced.

The price I was quoted was about on par with what you posted, OEM vs. OE glass.

Tech used OE glass, not OEM glass. It just so happened at the time there was no OEM glass available.

MY SOP is to stick with OE glass and not go "cheap" with OEM glass. I have heard (read) horror stories about OEM glass. Wavy. Bubbles.

It is important to get the chip "fixed" ASAP. I didn't. All was well for a year years then the chip spawned a crack that ended up extending the width of the glass and about at eyeball height. Felt like I was viewing a Picasso landscape.

Shortly after I bought my new 2018 MINI JCW it got a rock chip right in front of the driver's side. Took the car to the local dealer which refused to "fix" any chip on the driver's side.

Took the car to my nearby Porsche dealer and their "glass guy": who drove up every week or two to do glass work at the Porsche dealership and other dealers in the area; fixed the chip. Glass was fine and not showing any issues when I sold the car several years later.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
10 Posts

Does this seem high to anyone else?? View attachment 567021
FYI Massachusetts is full coverage glass state i had my Escalade windshield replaced and I wouldn't have wanted to pay for that something had to be calibrated it must of been expensive.
Sorry to hear about your troubles though 😞

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,075 Posts
$1000 glass deductible? Never heard of it being that high. Might want to double check. You may have $1000 deductible on your physical coverage but the glass coverage part of it isnt usually that high.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
280 Posts
We had gotten a chip in our daily driver and I got a Rock chip repair kit from Advance Auto that worked like a champ. Safelite might have done a better job, but the kit sealed the chip to keep it from cracking and almost made it disappear. The most important thing to me is that it won't spread.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
752 Posts
We had gotten a chip in our daily driver and I got a Rock chip repair kit from Advance Auto that worked like a champ. Safelite might have done a better job, but the kit sealed the chip to keep it from cracking and almost made it disappear. The most important thing to me is that it won't spread.
Do you think it’s worth doing on a surface chip that’s about the size of a 1/6 drill bit shank?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
280 Posts
Do you think it’s worth doing on a surface chip that’s about the size of a 1/6 drill bit shank?
For the cost of the repair kit compared to the cost of a windshield and as easy as it is to do, I'd say that it is worth it. You don't want to possibly get that drill bit sized surface chip to get bigger. The old saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure is fitting in your situation.

The $10 or $15 that you spend now could save you from having to replace a windshield where the crack has spread.If you follow the instructions on the product, you'll have trouble seeing it when you're done.

That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Agreed, those DIY kits work VERY well if you follow the directions closely. I've used several on smaller chips. For the OP, I suggested a professional due to the spider cracks already. Those DIY just don't seem to do real well once the chips start to move like this one looks to be doing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
752 Posts
For the cost of the repair kit compared to the cost of a windshield and as easy as it is to do, I'd say that it is worth it. You don't want to possibly get that drill bit sized surface chip to get bigger. The old saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure is fitting in your situation.

The $10 or $15 that you spend now could save you from having to replace a windshield where the crack has spread.If you follow the instructions on the product, you'll have trouble seeing it when you're done.

That's just my opinion though.
I’ve read that pros don’t really bother with very tiny surface pits, mines as big as a pin head, it is not deep enough to vacuum out or inject resin, my question is if it’s even worth it to level it up with the said kit..it’s only about a quarter of the depth of the one shown below but definitely a pit that you can feel with your nail

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
280 Posts
I’ve read that pros don’t really bother with very tiny surface pits, mines as big as a pin head, it is not deep enough to vacuum out or inject resin, my question is if it’s even worth it to level it up with the said kit..it’s only about a quarter of the depth of the one shown below but definitely a pit that you can feel with your nail

View attachment 567140
If it doesn't actually go through the windshield, then I would just keep an eye on it to see that it doesn't get bigger or worse. Before I fixed ours, I took a razor blade and scraped off any debris or dirt or pretty much anything that was surrounding the chip to get a good look at it. It's easier to diagnose or fix a problem when you get a good, clean, unobstructed view of it. It also lets you see how much of it is a pop and how much is just debris.

I then cleaned our window after using the razor. I used a clay bar after the razor to make sure that it was clean before starting the repair process. It might be overkill but I tend to be that way when it comes to projects.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm actually an auto glass installer and I can tell you reason why there's so much it's just because of the special branding on the glass. You can get an aftermarket without the mopar branding for so much cheaper

1 - 20 of 21 Posts