SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so we’ve had our hellcat since Aug of this year (2016 Challenger Hellcat, 6 speed, with 27000 miles), recently after filing her up the car revs at an idle between 7-1000rpm (Only after fueling). What would cause that? No codes on dash. Second when you let off the throttle it jerks as she slows down. What would cause that. Last thing would be the steering wheel gets a shake between 75-80mph (like it out of balance but it’s not.) what would cause that?

· Banned
4,901 Posts
Suggestions:

Water in gas
Unstable/unpredictable injector actuation or delivery
Sticking butterfly blade (throttle or bypass)
Bad spark wires or connections that provide unreliable signal to the spark coils; for example: a wire that was okay on the outside but had been fatigued back and forth to the point of the inside breaking could be a source of unpredictable signal.

The engine "hunts" at idle due to the RPM dropping below its "automatically rev up a bit to keep engine running" threshold.

The shaking wheel could be a harmonic vibration between a couple unbalanced front tires, I would guess. It is not energetic at low speeds, but at higher speeds, and at a steady state, the not-quite-exactly-the-same tire sizes would allow a pair of relatively balanced but not perfectly balanced wheels to go through a "rogue wave" additive wave thing.

I drove a Ford pickup once that was so massively unbalanced/loose that when on a bridge, of all times, the front end started hopping and dancing so bad I had to concentrate to keep it from going over a guardrail and thus, swimming.

Loose/sloppy/worn/dry/broken/missing/detached suspension pieces/bushings up front are big suspects.

Also, loose/sloppy front suspension/steering bushings/joints. You don't know if the car was babied or hammered.

I would consider throwing it at a Dodge dealer.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,559 Posts
Ok so we’ve had our hellcat since Aug of this year (2016 Challenger Hellcat, 6 speed, with 27000 miles), recently after filing her up the car revs at an idle between 7-1000rpm (Only after fueling). What would cause that? No codes on dash. Second when you let off the throttle it jerks as she slows down. What would cause that. Last thing would be the steering wheel gets a shake between 75-80mph (like it out of balance but it’s not.) what would cause that?
So, after filling up, the car rough idles and idle RPM revs/rolls. What about after you burn some fuel... what happens on the next start?? What if you fill only to 3/4s.... does it also happen?? I'd say have the dealer check the Fuel Evaporative System. The valve is located in the rear near the tank. It's supposed to channel fuel system/tank fuel vapors ONLY to the engine after start/during running... maybe liquid fuel is getting to the engine via the Evaporative System.

As for your steering wheel shake, you do have a wheel imbalance issue that many of us have had that starts at 70 - 80 MPH and disappears at say 90 MPH and above, including yours truly. It's the "70 mph shimmy issue". I've posted several threads on what causes this, how to fix it with the exact steps and how to talk to the tech. Do a Search on my name with keyword "balance" or "wheel balance".

Let us know....

· FCA Official
Challenger SRT Hellcat
583 Posts
Hi K9Paco,
Glad to hear you are working with your dealer for this concern. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.

Rob
Dodge Cares

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,224 Posts
Odd engine behavior after fueling could be "bad gas". Sure if you overfilled the tank this could possible foul the vapor canister which might for a while cause engine issues.

But if your fueling is routine and you stop filling the tank when the nozzle shut off and odd engine behavior appears... Bad gas. Or you need an old mechanic and a young mechanic...

Want to mention I let my 2018 Hellcat reach 27.5K miles on the factory installed engine air filter. Took the car in for oil/filter service and had the engine and cabin air filters changed. Was not aware the engine air filter was past due. With the new engine air filter the engine ran better. It was no where near running as bad as you describe in your post but you might consider at least checking the engine air filter. If it is original and you happen to live in a dusty area it could be quite past its replacement time.

If bad gas I know 2nd hand some have had to have the car in for this. The car was simply not driveable. The fuel tank was drained and in at least one very severe case some fuel system components -- besides the fuel filter -- were replaced.

If the CEL is dark and the engine is not acting up that bad one might be tempted to just drive the bad gas out of tank. I hope to never find myself in this position but I am reluctant to continue to drive the car for fear of the problem getting worse and the engine stops running and leaves me stranded. There is also the concern that with bad fuel what effect is this having on say the injectors or the rest of the engine downstream of the injectors.

So I'd almost certainly have the car in and get this diagnosed. If "bad" gas is diagnosed at least have the tank drained and may flushed with fresh gasoline and have the fuel filter replaced. Or have done whatever the tech recommends.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, after filling up, the car rough idles and idle RPM revs/rolls. What about after you burn some fuel... what happens on the next start?? What if you fill only to 3/4s.... does it also happen?? I'd say have the dealer check the Fuel Evaporative System. The valve is located in the rear near the tank. It's supposed to channel fuel system/tank fuel vapors ONLY to the engine after start/during running... maybe liquid fuel is getting to the engine via the Evaporative System.

As for your steering wheel shake, you do have a wheel imbalance issue that many of us have had that starts at 70 - 80 MPH and disappears at say 90 MPH and above, including yours truly. It's the "70 mph shimmy issue". I've posted several threads on what causes this, how to fix it with the exact steps and how to talk to the tech. Do a Search on my name with keyword "balance" or "wheel balance".

Let us know....
I will check on your balance post. After she runs for a bit she is fine. I normally round it up to .50 or an even amount. Which by reading the replies could be my issue. OCD at the pump is a *****. Wife says I’ll never make it. Lol. I will have to work on that. The kicking when I let off the throttle is still a concern, which I will bring up to the dealer when we get home. Thanks for the input.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Odd engine behavior after fueling could be "bad gas". Sure if you overfilled the tank this could possible foul the vapor canister which might for a while cause engine issues.

But if your fueling is routine and you stop filling the tank when the nozzle shut off and odd engine behavior appears... Bad gas. Or you need an old mechanic and a young mechanic...

Want to mention I let my 2018 Hellcat reach 27.5K miles on the factory installed engine air filter. Took the car in for oil/filter service and had the engine and cabin air filters changed. Was not aware the engine air filter was past due. With the new engine air filter the engine ran better. It was no where near running as bad as you describe in your post but you might consider at least checking the engine air filter. If it is original and you happen to live in a dusty area it could be quite past its replacement time.

If bad gas I know 2nd hand some have had to have the car in for this. The car was simply not driveable. The fuel tank was drained and in at least one very severe case some fuel system components -- besides the fuel filter -- were replaced.

If the CEL is dark and the engine is not acting up that bad one might be tempted to just drive the bad gas out of tank. I hope to never find myself in this position but I am reluctant to continue to drive the car for fear of the problem getting worse and the engine stops running and leaves me stranded. There is also the concern that with bad fuel what effect is this having on say the injectors or the rest of the engine downstream of the injectors.

So I'd almost certainly have the car in and get this diagnosed. If "bad" gas is diagnosed at least have the tank drained and may flushed with fresh gasoline and have the fuel filter replaced. Or have done whatever the tech recommends.
I’m terrible at going to the 50 cent marks or even dollar amount after the click which what I am reading my be my issue with the rough idle after fill up. Something that I will have to work on. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
684 Posts
if it only happens after filling tank, have the purge valve checked . could be stuck open an fuel vapors flood the motor as your filling tank.

· HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,708 Posts
Purge valve.

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,224 Posts
I’m terrible at going to the 50 cent marks or even dollar amount after the click which what I am reading my be my issue with the rough idle after fill up. Something that I will have to work on. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣
Yeah, you have to stop that. My habit for years has been to when the pump nozzle shuts off that is it.

The exception is if I suspect it shut off prematurely. While every time I stop for gasoline I seek to fill the tank completely to avoid adding gas to a full tank and risk over filling the tank I'll check the fuel tank level from the dash gauge and if it is not to the full mark resume adding gasoline.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,559 Posts
I will check on your balance post. After she runs for a bit she is fine. I normally round it up to .50 or an even amount. Which by reading the replies could be my issue. OCD at the pump is a *. Wife says I’ll never make it. Lol. I will have to work on that. The kicking when I let off the throttle is still a concern, which I will bring up to the dealer when we get home. Thanks for the input.
I top off as well and don't have your issue, thus my suggestion to check the Evaporative System, end to end, all components...

Modern Fuel Tanks also have an internal Expansion Tank so fuel does not expand and overflow back out of the tank while parked in hot weather/sun environments. So, you can fill up your tank and in about 5 minutes, the Internal Expansion Tank will refill and reduce the overall tank level in the process.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.