SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going for a drive and I came to a stop sign and the cars RPM dropped down all the way to about 300 as soon as I have it throttle it ran fine....for the car home and went to pull in the garage after letting it cool off for a bit and it didn’t want to start unless I gave it some throttle. Help!! Thoughts and ideas please or if anyone has had a similar situation...

Thanks

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,529 Posts
Is it hot out?

Reactions: PlumCrzyKats

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,529 Posts
See if it does it again today

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,122 Posts
Going for a drive and I came to a stop sign and the cars RPM dropped down all the way to about 300 as soon as I have it throttle it ran fine....for the car home and went to pull in the garage after letting it cool off for a bit and it didn’t want to start unless I gave it some throttle. Help!! Thoughts and ideas please or if anyone has had a similar situation...

Thanks
You sure the fuel level is not too low? Did you just fill up the fuel tank before the behavior appeared?

Absent any CEL my WAG would have to be a fuel pump issue. Sometimes a fuel pump fails outright. But once in a while it can just run poorly. It can deliver some fuel but not at the pressure the engine controller expects/assumes when it is calculating injector pulse widths.

If it is a fuel pump it is likely (but not a sure thing) the behavior will be absent after the car has sat and the fuel pump has cooled down. Really from a diagnosis/repair point of view it is better if the behavior is there all the time.

Not much you can do on your drive way unless you are capable of making a diagnosis and then can address what you diagnose is the cause of the behavior.

Consider then taking the car in. But if it is not manifesting the behavior the odds are with no CEL no symptoms the tech will not have any real leads as to what might have happened. If it is a fuel pump you might consider driving to the dealer but then driving around the area until the (suspected) fuel pump gets hot enough to misbehave and then when this happens take the car in. 'course, if the tech can't get to the car right then and there it sits and cools down and when the tech returns to the car it is not acting up.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You sure the fuel level is not too low? Did you just fill up the fuel tank before the behavior appeared?

Absent any CEL my WAG would have to be a fuel pump issue. Sometimes a fuel pump fails outright. But once in a while it can just run poorly. It can deliver some fuel but not at the pressure the engine controller expects/assumes when it is calculating injector pulse widths.

If it is a fuel pump it is likely (but not a sure thing) the behavior will be absent after the car has sat and the fuel pump has cooled down. Really from a diagnosis/repair point of view it is better if the behavior is there all the time.

Not much you can do on your drive way unless you are capable of making a diagnosis and then can address what you diagnose is the cause of the behavior.

Consider then taking the car in. But if it is not manifesting the behavior the odds are with no CEL no symptoms the tech will not have any real leads as to what might have happened. If it is a fuel pump you might consider driving to the dealer but then driving around the area until the (suspected) fuel pump gets hot enough to misbehave and then when this happens take the car in. 'course, if the tech can't get to the car right then and there it sits and cools down and when the tech returns to the car it is not acting up.
Thanks for all your input! I ran the car for about 1 hour after getting gas and the tank is at about 1/2 right now. I’ll double check what you’re saying!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Got a scan on the car and it has a mis fire from cylinder 1....

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
How many miles? Modded or stock?
What octane fuel you running?
Time to pull the plugs, you may have gotten some bad fuel and got the plugs hot enough to close their gap or even melt one. Do ASAP, especially from #1, their not as hard as touted to get out especially the front ones

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many miles? Modded or stock?
What octane fuel you running?
Time to pull the plugs, you may have gotten some bad fuel and got the plugs hot enough to close their gap or even melt one. Do ASAP, especially from #1, their not as hard as touted to get out especially the front ones
15,000 Pulley and Tune....pump gas it was pretty hot on Friday night when it started. Going to dig into it shortly!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Sounds like you had some detonation going on in the heat mine as well buy a set of spark plugs and change them all I think I put 2309 NGK in mine, gapped at .028” with 16 psi of boost on 93+ runs great. I had a P302 and found 1 plug with gap closed in #2, stock original plugs, ground straps where soft as butter on most every plug. That projected tip gets hot quick, takes the temper right out of them. The 2309’s are about .080” shorter, still have projected tip and Supposedly the same heat range as stock. I pulled a couple here and there and looked at them and they look great I thousand miles later I think the stock plugs are a little too hot for 15 psi or more of boost Especially if you run into some crappy gas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts