SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, sorry if this is posted already, but I couldn't find anything on my issue.

So when I start my car on a warm start it putters and seems like it wants to die out, after about half a second it comes back and everything is normal. This only happens when the car is warm, dealer tells me they can't find anything wrong.
I've seen alot of people have this issue with a cold start, but no one has mentioned anything about warm startups.
Has anyone else had a warm start issue?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,461 Posts
Hey everyone, sorry if this is posted already, but I couldn't find anything on my issue.

So when I start my car on a warm start it putters and seems like it wants to die out, after about half a second it comes back and everything is normal. This only happens when the car is warm, dealer tells me they can't find anything wrong.
I've seen alot of people have this issue with a cold start, but no one has mentioned anything about warm startups.
Monitor intake air temperature and coolant temperature sensor readings before a warm start and during and after.

When I needed to do this I used a stand alone OBD2 scan tool which I set up to show the engine coolant temperature and intake air temperature.

I had a vehicle manifesting a cold start issue. Turned out the coolant temperature sensor was acting up at cold start.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
895 Posts
Yes, maybe also see if the voltage is low. The alternators in these cars seem to take a while to "light".

·
FCA Official
Challenger SRT Hellcat
341 Posts

Hi Casper,
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local Dodge dealer again, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
661 Posts
Do you buy all your gas at the same station?

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
5,823 Posts
Is the car stock?

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
661 Posts
Well, what did you find. We all want to know! Please don't ask for help and then abandon us without telling us what you ultimately found.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, what did you find. We all want to know! Please don't ask for help and then abandon us without telling us what you ultimately found.
Hey everyone, sorry took so long, the dealership had my car for almost 2 weeks now. Anyway, they are saying the fuel pumps are bad. They don't hold pressure, therefore it putters on startup. I'm assuming the reason why it only putters on a warm start is because when it's cold the car holds rpm above 1k. Therefore fuel pressure is there. The dealer did not tell me this, but its pretty much common sense. So that's all for now, I will keep you all posted and let you know what happens after I get the car back.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
661 Posts
Repair under warranty?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: I FINALLY got my car back after almost 3 weeks. Extended warranty only paid so much of the repair and I got stuck with a $300 bill. Long story short, my car is worst then before I dropped it off. Now it fully dies out on a warm start, needless to say the fuel pumps were not the issue. So back to square 1. I will keep you guys updated.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
661 Posts
I hope you will get the $300 back then. Sounds like they replaced parts that did not need replacing. And 3 weeks! Is it too late for lemon law? That really sucks!

Edit: How many miles have you put on it since this whole thing started? Just want to make sure you completely burned off the old gas and it is all fresh gas now. I know, low probability but just one more thing that can be eliminated. Back in the old days, we we would see bad gas on a regular basis, especially from discount operators during shortages. Replacing the fuel pumps suggests they thought it was a fuel issue.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope you will get the $300 back then. Sounds like they replaced parts that did not need replacing. And 3 weeks! Is it too late for lemon law? That really sucks!

Edit: How many miles have you put on it since this whole thing started? Just want to make sure you completely burned off the old gas and it is all fresh gas now. I know, low probability but just one more thing that can be eliminated. Back in the old days, we we would see bad gas on a regular basis, especially from discount operators during shortages. Replacing the fuel pumps suggests they thought it was a fuel issue.
This issue has been ongoing for a couple of months believe it or not. I've let the tank go almost dry and went to different stations to fill up. So definitely not bad gas. Taking the car back Monday morning, hopefully get my $300 back or get the issue fixed for free. I am definitely looking into lemon law as well, I will keep you guys informed.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
661 Posts
I would hope that any further work they do would be without a deductible/charge, since you already paid it and it is still not correct. If you used a cc, you can always dispute the charge, but let's hope it does not come to that.

And thank you for the updates! So many threads fizzle out and we never know what happened.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts