SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the interior torn out....
Bar bolted in.....
Taking the bar back out this weekend.
Prepping, bolting back in, and welding.
Not looking forward to this, but in the long run it is worth it.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door Glass

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle door Hood

Green Yellow

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
if you aren't going to be wearing suit of armor and a helmet, make sure all those frame tubes are VERY well padded. It would be ironic to be in a crash where you were beaten by the tubes as you bounced around the cabin. There is a reason that no surfaces of the insides of cars are hard steel anymore. It saves lives.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cage is well behind you while sitting in the seat. A full cage would be dangerous without a helmet, but this is fit very tight to the inside of the cabin. I also got a set of 5 point harnesses. This would only concern me if I was driving without a seat belt.

Reactions: Linda's Hell Cat

·
Registered
Challenger SPWB 392
382 Posts
Two things.

1. Details on air bag jack?
2. Check local laws. Usually against the law to drive on street with harness belts. You maybe leaving in the factory seat belts if that is the case you should have no issues.

Looks like a fun project! Good luck on the welding effort.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great. I guess the welds will be around each of the 4 pads, where it’s currently bolted?
Thank you
Correct. Just need to clean the metal and bolt it back in, then weld the pads to the floor and rear fender wells.

Reactions: OldMoparGuy

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two things.

1. Details on air bag jack?
2. Check local laws. Usually against the law to drive on street with harness belts. You maybe leaving in the factory seat belts if that is the case you should have no issues.

Looks like a fun project! Good luck on the welding effort.
I am leaving the factory seat belts in the car.
I am not throwing on 5 points every time I get in the car, plus the airbag light. I am sticking with factory seats, I enjoy comfort too much lol.
You can find airbag jacks online, eBay, Amazon.
I use them because a normal jack will damage my floor tiles. They are quick and easy, use them on my park lift also.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How solid is that is spot it bolts too??

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
1/8 Plates mount on the top and bottom side,
It mounts to structural points.
I am impressed with the design, the car would need to break in half for the rollbar to fail.

Reactions: hpindy and Midevil

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,935 Posts
I am impressed with the design, the car would need to break in half for the rollbar to fail.
Good stuff . Thanks . Please keep us up to date . It looks interesting.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts

Hey, did you check with the manufacturer on if you are supposed to weld the top plates to the floor? I have a maximum motorsports roll bar that I am putting in my 07 mustang gt and they told me DO NOT weld the plates to the floor. It weakens the metal there. I can't see from you pics but for my roll bar there the plates are on the floor, there is then on the underside of the car another plate, and so the floor of the car is sandwiched between the two plates. In fact, they were ADAMANT about not welding them. Again, this is for my mustang, so your case might be different, but just wanted to give a shout out to be sure. Never want to take chances when it comes to safety.

I'd make sure about this before you weld anything. Just trying to help.

Also, will the roll bar interfere with any of the functionality of the air bags?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I looked up the instructions for the RPM roll bar in a challenger and it doesn't say anything about welding the plates to the floor.

Here are the instructions from their website: RPM roll bar installation instructions

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This was welded in and finished a couple months ago, I don't need instructions lol

·
Registered
173 Posts
Our cars are NHRA legal to 10.00/135 mph without a roll bar at which point you have to run a cage. Why did you decide on a roll bar? Or is this a roll cage?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Our cars are NHRA legal to 10.00/135 mph without a roll bar at which point you have to run a cage. Why did you decide on a roll bar? Or is this a roll cage?
Great, I am going to be low 9s this year, would love to touch 8s. It is a 6pt.
What made me decide on doing it.... it felt like it was time.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The full cage down to 8.5
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Rpmrollbars.com

·
Registered
173 Posts
Greenchine15, okay that's what was confusing me is that in your pics it looks like it's a roll bar, not a roll cage, and so I was like, Why would you put in a roll bar since we don't have to have them and when you hit 9.99 or 135+ mph you have to have a cage.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts