SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This always seems to be a question that comes up...how to run a front plate in a state that requires it without drilling into the bumper but still looking good (well, as good as it can look). The two methods I will share with you both enable you to easily remove the plate for car shows, etc., or if the law ever changes.

Method 1: Fasty's Garage (on Facebook) makes a magnetic plate. I had one made for my car if I ever get around the removing the front bumper. You send him your OEM front plate bracket and he modifies it for you with military grade magnets. You place 4 additional magnets (which he supplies) behind the front bumper and it sticks right on. He places some rubber trim around the plate as well so it does not scratch the cars existing paint. This is great for driving without the plate, but putting it on when you park to avoid tickets. He also gives you the option of painting the plate frame to match the color of your Hellcat. The front bumper must be removed to put the magnets on. I tried without removing it and it's impossible. I had this on my previous Challenger. One word of advice...if you go this route, frequently clean the rubber trim, as it will start to leave a small mark around the edge in your paint if you let it get dirty. It can't be avoided...the car will vibrate while being driven, so keep it clean.

Method 2: I particularly like this one. I had to come up with another way, as I just don't have the time right now to remove the bumper (I am a little nervous to do it as well). The Hellcat front bumper is not as wide as the previous generation Challengers. In the previous models, the entire front plate bracket fit on the bumper. In the Hellcat, you'll notice that part of the front plate bracket hangs down over the edge. This is because they thinned out the front of the bumper, probably to allow more airflow into the engine bay. Here's what I did. The lower plastic grill is held on by simple screws on its top side. I took two metal brackets and bent them into an "L" shape. The bracket had existing holes in it (like a belt on your pants). My buddy had them laying around his shop. We bent them into the L shape in a vice. We used the existing screw holes on the top of the lower plastic and screwed them in there. Then I went to the local auto parts store and bought a rubber license plate frame. We put the plate inside of it and screwed it through the top holes right into the L shape brackets. Looks like it came stock this way, doesn't touch the paint or body of the car at all, and is easily removed by two screws.

Method 3: Don't run a front plate and risk the tickets. I have meter maids by me and they ticketed me the day I went to make the frame modification. Bad timing, but they would have come back every day and ticketed me until I fixed it.

I hope this helps and is useful!

Steve

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper
Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Rim

Reactions: MattG

·
Premium Member
12,594 Posts
This always seems to be a question that comes up...how to run a front plate in a state that requires it without drilling into the bumper but still looking good (well, as good as it can look). The two methods I will share with you both enable you to easily remove the plate for car shows, etc., or if the law ever changes.

Method 1: Fasty's Garage (on Facebook) makes a magnetic plate. I had one made for my car if I ever get around the removing the front bumper. You send him your OEM front plate bracket and he modifies it for you with military grade magnets. You place 4 additional magnets (which he supplies) behind the front bumper and it sticks right on. He places some rubber trim around the plate as well so it does not scratch the cars existing paint. This is great for driving without the plate, but putting it on when you park to avoid tickets. He also gives you the option of painting the plate frame to match the color of your Hellcat. The front bumper must be removed to put the magnets on. I tried without removing it and it's impossible. I had this on my previous Challenger. One word of advice...if you go this route, frequently clean the rubber trim, as it will start to leave a small mark around the edge in your paint if you let it get dirty. It can't be avoided...the car will vibrate while being driven, so keep it clean.

Method 2: I particularly like this one. I had to come up with another way, as I just don't have the time right now to remove the bumper (I am a little nervous to do it as well). The Hellcat front bumper is not as wide as the previous generation Challengers. In the previous models, the entire front plate bracket fit on the bumper. In the Hellcat, you'll notice that part of the front plate bracket hangs down over the edge. This is because they thinned out the front of the bumper, probably to allow more airflow into the engine bay. Here's what I did. The lower plastic grill is held on by simple screws on its top side. I took two metal brackets and bent them into an "L" shape. The bracket had existing holes in it (like a belt on your pants). My buddy had them laying around his shop. We bent them into the L shape in a vice. We used the existing screw holes on the top of the lower plastic and screwed them in there. Then I went to the local auto parts store and bought a rubber license plate frame. We put the plate inside of it and screwed it through the top holes right into the L shape brackets. Looks like it came stock this way, doesn't touch the paint or body of the car at all, and is easily removed by two screws.

Method 3: Don't run a front plate and risk the tickets. I have meter maids by me and they ticketed me the day I went to make the frame modification. Bad timing, but they would have come back every day and ticketed me until I fixed it.

I hope this helps and I will post up some pictures when I get a chance.

Steve
Can you share a pic of your option with the Lm racket and rubber frame? Thanks

·
Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,193 Posts
I have no plate on the front my Viper, 2012 Challenger, M5 or my hellcat. Never had a problem.
If I have a problem I will go with the toggle bolt solution have the cop sign off on it and then remove it. I believe the sheriff out here has better things to do.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you share a pic of your option with the Lm racket and rubber frame? Thanks
Added some for you Tammie:) By the way, how do I get the pictures to appear larger. I have no idea how to do that!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no plate on the front my Viper, 2012 Challenger, M5 or my hellcat. Never had a problem.
If I have a problem I will go with the toggle bolt solution have the cop sign off on it and then remove it. I believe the sheriff out here has better things to do.
In NY, especially on Long Island, they are super strict with it and it's not a cheap ticket unfortunately. I drive it daily so it would end up costing me a fortune over time. I wish we had a no front plate law.

·
Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,193 Posts
In NY, especially on Long Island, they are super strict with it and it's not a cheap ticket unfortunately. I drive it daily so it would end up costing me a fortune over time. I wish we had a no front plate law.
yep you need to go with the electric under the splitter set up. Hit the button and its up. Put it down when you want to. But I hear you on the ticket prices over there.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool! That works. Great idea, I like that it s easily removed and no marks on the car.:D
Yes, and it uses the OEM screws and screw holes, so no drilling at all!

Reactions: 630

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep you need to go with the electric under the splitter set up. Hit the button and its up. Put it down when you want to. But I hear you on the ticket prices over there.
I have tried that in the past...one bump and it gets thrown off its track and never works. The wires corroded over time as well, and didn't want to add anything electrical.

Reactions: tsubahog

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I"ll take option 3, not my everyday driver and not drilling anything on my car.......yea i agree no front plate law!
I hear ya...the two methods I posted don't require any drilling either, so thank goodness! I refuse to deface such a beautiful car!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
480 Posts
Only prob with that location is it blocks a lot of air for cooling , here's my idea find a vinyl guy who can make a copy of your plate in vinyl and just put it on the front bumper in the stock location . No holes and it can be peeled off at any time without damage.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only prob with that location is it blocks a lot of air for cooling , here's my idea find a vinyl guy who can make a copy of your plate in vinyl and just put it on the front bumper in the stock location . No holes and it can be peeled off at any time without damage.
If I were taking it to the track, I would just take it off...for daily driving, I can't see it being a cooling issue. There's still room under it and around it to cool it enough for daily driving, and I have been looking at all my temps and they have not changed at all after the plate install.

·
Tri-State Overlord
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,157 Posts
i'm probably going to do the electric slide one you mount under your front spoiler. Here in Westchester NY (Just north of the bronx and next to long island). We have certain towns (GREENBURGH COUGH COUGH) that love to pull you over for no front plate. Or if they want to make a stop just to cause a hassle, no front plate is the easiest one for us car guys, or tints.

They get pretty expensive, North of a hundred dollars. They don't issue fix-it tickets either here in westchester. Maybe you could challenge it once in court, but after that you'll never win again.

EDIT: I would eat a hundred buck ticket to drive around with no front plate, get pulled over and as the officer walks up to the car hit the button to slide it out. My friend did it with his BMW, The cop did a quadruple take at the front of his car cause he knew that plate wasn't there a second ago.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,464 Posts
Added some for you Tammie:) By the way, how do I get the pictures to appear larger. I have no idea how to do that!
When you upload there is a button for thumbnail and full image. Click full image and it will insert at your cursor position. If you edit your existing post there should be an option for make all full image. I can do it for you but I'll let you do it so you know how to in the future. :)

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it:) Thanks so much!!

Reactions: 630
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.