SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer today because arrived a brand new 2020 Charger Hellcat Widebody. I start checking the car and I found this in the suspension. Is this normal in a new car with 8 miles on it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nope. My car shipped on a boat to Hawaii didn’t look like that. Still doesn’t. Looks like it got driven in road salt and sat, to me. I’m pretty sure all that white stuff on your picture is salt as well.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
706 Posts
Many threads on this....not normal but occurs

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope. My car shipped on a boat to Hawaii didn’t look like that. Still doesn’t. Looks like it got driven in road salt and sat, to me. I’m pretty sure all that white stuff on your picture is salt as well.
Good point. I didn’t notice that. I’ll tell you tomorrow, it’s near from my home.

·
Registered
304 Posts
does your suspension has rust too?
Don’t know have not checked yet. My 14 Challenger was built in March and we took delivery in April as soon as it arrived at the Dealership. My Charger was built in November and we took delivery in April so it may have seen “something” dealership was in VA so I doubt it...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,602 Posts
How can this happens on a car of $85K?
Rust doesn't care what you paid. It’s exposed steel. Was exposed to salt along it’s travels and is not uncommon. 2020‘s were built Dec 2019+ and sat outside during the winter. Then shipped through some crappy winter weather. This is why I order mine to be built after winter. Much less chance of this happening. Check your build date.

·
Registered
302 Posts
How can this happens on a car of $85K?
Salt.

Also, while this is an expensive car; It doesn't have Mercedes body engineering quality, let's be honest. Part of the reason a Mercedes or even a Volvo, etc are so expensive is because they, for instance, don't make their upper control arms out of exposed steel. They either use an aluminum alloy that doesn't rust, or if they do use steel components those components are coated from the factory in a thick coating of either nylon/rubber these days or at minimum a thick coating of underbody coating direct from factory. This is how you are getting a 700+ HP car for only $80k. The money is in the powertrain and the bits that matter.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Salt.

Also, while this is an expensive car; It doesn't have Mercedes body engineering quality, let's be honest. Part of the reason a Mercedes or even a Volvo, etc are so expensive is because they, for instance, don't make their upper control arms out of exposed steel. They either use an aluminum alloy that doesn't rust, or if they do use steel components those components are coated from the factory in a thick coating of either nylon/rubber these days or at minimum a thick coating of underbody coating direct from factory. This is how you are getting a 700+ HP car for only $80k. The money is in the powertrain and the bits that matter.
🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
94 Posts
Normal if it was manufactured during winter month (salt and snow as others mentioned). Bought my Redeye Challenger in March and it was rusty on the underside (along with a fine dusty/silty film all underneath, assuming salt residue). My front control arms are not as rusty as yours, but still rusty. Manufacturer will not cover/do anything as it doesn't affect the part/vehicle (an aesthetics thing only). I was told that by two dealerships. I read posts on other forums where manufacturers have some pretty bad rust on undercarriage too (Mustang GT350, 500 come to mind).

If you want, get underneath and lightly take it off (fine wire brush, etc) and coat arms with something like Por-15 (that won't allow rust, used it before, good stuff).

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
177 Posts
That's not normal, and I wouldn't touch that car with a barge pole. The rust on the threads is the result of some corrosive solution, probably road salt, being left on them for some time. It's more than "surface" rust.
Here's my car getting a replacement radiator when three years old, and with 10k kilometres on it. It has 18k on it now and looks the same AND I had to drive it in road salt two winters ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What month is the best to order a Hellcat (I’m located in Miami) to avoid this issues?
Believe me, it looks pretty bad. I will post more pics tomorrow with better details.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,602 Posts
What month is the best to order a Hellcat (I’m located in Miami) to avoid this issues?
Believe me, it looks pretty bad. I will post more pics tomorrow with better details.
I'd say now lol. Ordered mine last Friday.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,164 Posts
Up thru mid August should be good but that's about the latest.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well Guys, it's horrible. I went again to the dealership. All Challengers and Chargers have that rust. There is a lot of salt on undercarriage, suspension, everywhere. Take a look at these pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 73 Posts