SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have a 2016 Charger Hellcat with about 30,000 on it. I was doing some under hood detailing and noticed that the two pulleys next to the supercharger pulley are starting to rust pretty bad. I never drive the car in the rain and definitely never in winter. Is there any ways to remove the rust with out removing the belt and pulleys? Or should I just purchase Metco replacement pulleys? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
In The Market
474 Posts
I noticed someone else's looked like that. I put TBA aluminum pulleys on mine. Lighter and spin better. I also did the tensioner pulley

Reactions: greasy

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
185 Posts
Move west and south,I can't imagine things like that happening,in Colorado our stuff could be 20 years old and not look like that.bummer

·
Registered
In The Market
474 Posts
Move west and south,I can't imagine things like that happening,in Colorado our stuff could be 20 years old and not look like that.bummer
After moving to Michigan from Denver I started noticing some metal parts looking rusty that were not before on the cars I had at that time (25 years ago)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
185 Posts
After moving to Michigan from Denver I started noticing some metal parts looking rusty that were not before on the cars I had at that time (25 years ago)
That could be they have had huge influx of California and Texas people that can't drive in snow,started using salt and magcloride in Denver area,I live in southern co and work on cars from thirties and fourties that have no rust.with our low humidity things last pretty good.

·
Registered
In The Market
474 Posts
Mine were just from humidity they were not driven in the winter

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Get rustoleum satin black and paint them. It can be done in place with Qtips, comes out better then looking at the rust. I have a 16 and mine looked the same, look almost new now. If you can’t find it in a can get a spray can and spray it in the lid let it sit and thicken some and dip the Qtips in it and paint away. Change Qtips often and they can be bent and shaped as needed. Or just break them loose with the belt on, they are normal right hand thread, then pop the belt off, takes literally 2 minutes with I think from memory a 15mm combo wrench and sand and spray paint them. Mask the face that the belt rides on/in.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,882 Posts
Those are idler rollers. Probably cheaper to just replace them with new vs. taking them off and cleaning the rust off and painting them. Likely the paint won't be durable.

And whatever you do you want to be sure it won't affect the belt.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Those are idler rollers. Probably cheaper to just replace them with new vs. taking them off and cleaning the rust off and painting them. Likely the paint won't be durable.

And whatever you do you want to be sure it won't affect the belt.
Price them then you’ll paint them!!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,882 Posts
Price them then you’ll paint them!!
Well, I have replaced idler rollers on another car -- due to one failing -- and while I don't recall the parts cost I seem to recall it was not much. I mean the parts department didn't give them away but I replaced 2 or 3 and the tensioner too just to be sure all were ok, being new.

One goes to the trouble of removing the rollers -- well, I didn't I had a tech do this as it was involved given the car and its engine layout (Porsche Turbo with the engine in the rear) -- then cleaning them up and painting or powder coating or chroming (?), doing something that keeps the rollers looking nice forever and whatever one does it doesn't affect the grip of the belt or cause it any increase in wear and tear.

Then probably eventually the roller bearing goes bad and unless the bearing is replaceable without having to also replace the roller one has to give the new roller the same treatment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts