SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Safe wheel cleaner?

22K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  Cold23HC 
#1 ·
So these are the first painted wheels I've ever owned. Most wheel cleaners say safe for chrome, or aluminum. A few say "all", but I'm always skeptical of those claims. So for those of you that have had your cat for long enough to wash the wheels a few times, what have you been using? Is it effective, and did it damage the paint/coating at all?

I'm very familiar with the dust the Brembos can produce, so I expect that any of you that have had your car for more than a month are already experts at this. Since I just picked mine up on Monday, I haven't cleaned the wheels yet. I'm not necessarily looking for something to repel/reduce the brake dust. Just a safe cleaner for the wheels. I've used Eagle1 stuff in the past, and always been happy with it.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
car wash soap
I guess that makes sense, since they are painted. I really hope there's a product out there that will get a little more aggressive to help remove the brake dust, though.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
The "flyer" that was attached to your driver's side visor advises to use basic soap on these wheels.
I didn't get a flyer on my driver side visor. What else did it say?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
The paint is thin on these rims, I would not recommend anything too harsh. I think HCone is spot on - car wash soap. I've use a some Dawn in a separate bucket for just the rims.

Also recommend you consider swapping the brake pads to the Power Stop Z23 - really cuts back on the dust.
Good advice. Thanks. I had considered the power stop pads, but I really wanted to experience the full power of these brakes. I swapped to ceramics on my 06 SRT8 and the stopping power was reduced (significantly, in the rain). Since I'm over 500 miles already, it's probably a little late to swap pads now, since they are bedded in. I'll probably deal with it until the pads chew up the rotors like they did on my 06, and then go ceramic.

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.