SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pros & Cons? I have never owned a car with a satin finish and I was wondering what are the disadvantages to the satin finish as far as maintenance. A salesman told me that the satin hood was difficult to keep clean and was very easy to damage (rock chips) due to no "clear finish" on the hood. Any info or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks... Roland, Houston Tx

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,764 Posts
See attachment for answers to your questions...

Attachments

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
132 Posts
there are some advantages. First, and foremost to me, is looks. Its a purely cosmetic decision that either turns you on, or doesnt. Second, there is no glare off the hood to get in your eyes. thats admittedly not that big of an advantage, as I never drive without sunglasses anyway. Third, if you get the option from the factory, its a satin hood coded vehicle. That will make it more rare, but you have to decide if that is important to you. For negatives, it is a pain to care for. You can achieve a very similar look with a wrap and not have any glare, without the pain of maintaining a factory hood. So what is important to you? Life is all about decisions.
I personally got the factory satin hood and I am exploring treatments like xpel that will protect it without taking away the satin look. If I cant make that work, then I will live with the added personal maintenance.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,764 Posts
there are some advantages. First, and foremost to me, is looks. Its a purely cosmetic decision that either turns you on, or doesnt. Second, there is no glare off the hood to get in your eyes. thats admittedly not that big of an advantage, as I never drive without sunglasses anyway. Third, if you get the option from the factory, its a satin hood coded vehicle. That will make it more rare, but you have to decide if that is important to you. For negatives, it is a pain to care for. You can achieve a very similar look with a wrap and not have any glare, without the pain of maintaining a factory hood. So what is important to you? Life is all about decisions.
I personally got the factory satin hood and I am exploring treatments like xpel that will protect it without taking away the satin look. If I cant make that work, then I will live with the added personal maintenance.
Let us know if the XPEL satin film works over the satin hood. I don't have the hood but I'm curious if that is an option for those of you that do...

·
Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,193 Posts
I got one and waited a long long time for it. its going to be a royal pain in the butt to care for.
just get the wrap on a std body color hood. much easier.

my car is and will be more rare but that does not make it worth any more money.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,764 Posts
I got one and waited a long long time for it. its going to be a royal pain in the butt to care for.
just get the wrap on a std body color hood. much easier.

my car is and will be more rare but that does not make it worth any more money.
Is the satin hood clear coated with a matte clear or is it just painted. I gotta think it has clear on it but I really don't know.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
480 Posts
What gives the satin finish its look is the cleacoat. Any base coat can be made to look satin or matte or gloss by using the correct clearcoat. Also don't buy into the black hood being rare , we will soon be the installer of them and will be pumping them out as fast as possible. Saw this posted on allpar and then saw the black hood job posting on our job posting board.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,464 Posts
seems like a very thin coat of paint compared to the rest of the car
Yep. It will be a thin coat on top of the original color of the hood. Then there is a matte/flat clear coat (instead of a typical 'shiny' clear coat) put on top of that. Rock chips on your car's hood will reveal red underneath..

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,464 Posts
What gives the satin finish its look is the cleacoat. Any base coat can be made to look satin or matte or gloss by using the correct clearcoat. Also don't buy into the black hood being rare , we will soon be the installer of them and will be pumping them out as fast as possible. Saw this posted on allpar and then saw the black hood job posting on our job posting board.
Glad to hear that.. never understood the point of taking the time to paint a hood 'original' color, then ship the car off and pay someone to scuff the surface and re-paint.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,464 Posts
My hood on my 2010 was painted satin black, and I'll never have it painted again due to the maintenance nightmare and you can't really 'fix' imperfections like you can on a normal finish with mild abrasive compounds, polishing, etc. Vinyl is in my near future. :)

·
Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,193 Posts
Yep. It will be a thin coat on top of the original color of the hood. Then there is a matte/flat clear coat (instead of a typical 'shiny' clear coat) put on top of that. Rock chips on your car's hood will reveal red underneath..
So mine will be rare since it was painted twice.:)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
158 Posts
I ordered a black hood but had no idea when the car would ever be built. I looked around for and found a car nearby that had everything I wanted except the hood. I bought it instead and had it wrapped with 3m satin black. Better chip resistance. Perfect color match to the spoilers. Occasionally hitting it with a little Meguiars detailer keeps it looking great! In retrospect, I'm glad I have the wrap instead of a painted hood.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Muscle car

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
714 Posts
I ordered a black hood but had no idea when the car would ever be built. I looked around for and found a car nearby that had everything I wanted except the hood. I bought it instead and had it wrapped with 3m satin black. Better chip resistance. Perfect color match to the spoilers. Occasionally hitting it with a little Meguiars detailer keeps it looks great! In retrospect, I'm glad I have the wrap instead of a painted hood. View attachment 8942
That looks great! I have my VIN and it should arrive in May. I wanted the black hood (on Redline Red) but it got dropped from the order so I plan on getting the wrap. Do you have a picture of the underside of the hood - I am curious how they trim it . Thanks

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,869 Posts
talked with my xpel guy and asked him to wrap the rear spoiler....he said it would not look good over satin black....i assume the same would be true on the hood.....so i dont think you can xpel the hood over a factory painted satin black.....my xpel guy is a high end installer that i trust......anyone xpeled the satin hood to prove my guy wrong?

i use my trunk a lot and would love to xpel my trunk spoiler so i dont scratch when closing it

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,869 Posts
i am not aware that there are different versions of xpel.....maybe there are....but my guy didnt mention it....the flat black look is a new look for cars and maybe he hasnt had one in the shop before....

the guy i use owns a Ford GT, Viper Acr, Z06 and a Raptor....he's a car guy all out.........he is an artist with Xpel in my opinion

if xpel had a product for flat finishes id think he'd know about it, but maybe not.....maybe its just something he hasnt had to deal with.....id really like to get my rear spoiler xpeled to protect against scratches from me closing the trunk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.