SRT Hellcat Forum banner

SCCA Solo's tire question

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Chunky White 
Simply put the options for wide 20" diameter spec autocross tires doesn't exist yet. Your only options are to go to 19" diameter wheels, shorter road race tire, or run a drag radial. I would suggest looking at something like the NT01 or the NT555RII.

That said the P Zero summers are a good tire.

None of those are going to perform like the Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 tire though for his purpose. It truly is a track tire for the street. Its shortcomings are that its average in the rain, it needs heat so its traction limited below 50F, and they're only good for about 10-12K miles.
He said fast to temp. I've been autocrossing my whole adult life and short sidewall drag radials will work. Tire rollover onto the shoulders (extended contact patch) is advantageous to a larger/heavier vehicle and DRs can accommodate that. Chalk the sidewalls and tune with tire pressure.

When talking about factory 20s:

The F1 3s are not going to get sticky enough quick enough with a 220 UTQG in a 45 second run. The Nittos offer a 100 UTQG and will. Both have trade offs. The NT01s are short (with no wider options) and don't shed water well. The NT555RIIs are available in wider sizes, stock height, and have a fair water shedding ability when new - but may trade off some stability due to sidewall characteristics.

I just ordered a set of 315/35R20 NT555RIIs so I guess we'll see how they perform. Here is my car on the stock P Zero Summers (280 UTQG):

But, as I stated dropping wheel sizes opens up a world of opportunities not afforded to the factory 20x11s. Everything is a compromise.

Love the telemetry what system is that? I'm using the M1 on my radar detector but it's only video.
Appreciate the additional out of the box thinking. Never considered a DR.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
RaceRender via HPTuners.

The Demon and Super Stock are great handling cars on stock NT05Rs. Anyone who claims otherwise is full of bias, misconceptions, or plain BS.

Back in the day Syclones and Typhoons autocrossed on first generation BFG DRs because they offered such a significant performance advantage over conventional performance street tires.

Utog ratings are a subjective manufacturer specific "rating" not standardized across different makes...There is this magic rating of 200 that allows the tire to be used in spec racing...one man's 200 is anothers 100 so to speak..The NTO1's are a very good hpde or road circuit tire and run wider than other tires in the same size...
Like I said: spec autocross tire. Where 200 UTQG is just a number on the sidewall for a treaded cheater slick. Some of these tires get banned from certain clubs/series for providing an unfair advantage - which is not in the spirit of grassroots motorsports.

But, they aren't part of this discussion due to their extremely short life span and dangerous nature on the street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.