SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
353 Posts
If he hands you cash what’s the big deal. If it’s not cash he needs to go to a bank and wire the funds. People are so paranoid…. Just don’t give him the vehicle without the funds in hand and don’t accept a check.

· HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,537 Posts
Re
If he hands you cash what’s the big deal. If it’s not cash he needs to go to a bank and wire the funds. People are so paranoid…. Just don’t give him the vehicle without the funds in hand and don’t accept a check.
Read the post directly before yours lol

Reactions: Xylander

· Registered
'23 Redeye Jailbreak
4,235 Posts
I had been thinking of getting rid of a 10 year old jeep and getting a bigger family hauler SUV. Settled in on one, and of course stealership trades are low. So I try for a week to sell privately, get tons of interest and a solid offer.

Now my wife is freaking out about that much money privately, and probably better to just trade it in. I had been in contact with the guy, never met until we physically spoke on the phone, met in a strip mall lot (lucky 2 police officers sitting chatting), and he was very open, showed me his license right off the bat. Had his brother there who stayed back on our little test drive. He offered without me asking that he drives for fedex. Has a 2 door jeep and with kids wants to move into a 4 door jeep.

I've sold many things privately before and never really thought much of it (bikes, cheaper cars, motorcycles). Always took the cash, signed over title and was on my way.

For this one I was thinking of having him meet me at my bank when they are open, I go in with the money and have them put it right in my account, sign title over, take tags and be on my way. My wife of course says our address is on the title, so they can come back to us if they are that type of folk.

Any ideas to help navigate?
The safest, easiest way is to have him do a bank wire transfer to your bank or deal in cash. I wouldn't worry about your address. Don't tell your wife, but go Google the following: (last name) (county/state you live in) voter registration. If you're registered to vote, your name and address is already publicly available information.

Like Slowpoke387 mentioned, don't sign over the title or bill of sale until you have all the funds and they clear the bank. Totally not your issue, but if it were an out of area sale, I wait for the funds to clear. When they do, I get a bill of sale notarized at the bank and overnight it to the new owner. He can then arrange delivery/shipping. If the car has a loan on it, I will also overnight a WE OWE form that states that title is being processed and will be made available when the title holder processes the payment.

The Bill of Sale and the WE OWE is all they really need to get a temp tag at their DMV.

· HOTY Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,619 Posts
Not everyone is out to get you and murder you......
well, the government and maybe the aliens when they return in 2023.....
but bigfoot will protect us.
lol,
But seriously, what people do not understand is that it is not very hard to find someone. With google, you can use a phone number, email address, or even a license plate number.....
As a dealer, I deal with people and trades. I have so many people worried about their name being on a title when I resell a trade and reassign the title on the back, with their name on the front.
I even offer a $250 fee to get a new title on your trade so only the dealer name is on the front. Most decline, but I am surprised how many people want it, mostly for free, but they pay.
And before anyone tries to troll my fee, the state charges me $80, I have to drive 45 minutes each way, and I have to stand in line for an hour or more..... so there you have it.
I'm sure the guy would have slipped an AirTag in your car while test driving it if he wanted to follow you home lol

· Registered
1,425 Posts
The safest, easiest way is to have him do a bank wire transfer to your bank or deal in cash. I wouldn't worry about your address. Don't tell your wife, but go Google the following: (last name) (county/state you live in) voter registration. If you're registered to vote, your name and address is already publicly available information.

· Registered
SRT DEMON ONESEAT
4,169 Posts
You can accept a bank cashiers check or similar as long as it is issued at a branch of his bank, that is local to you, and you are standing right there and the check goes into your hand. These checks can be faked or forged. So if issued by a bank teller and you witness it you are 99.99% safe. If he pays you with Cash then you need to take the cash into a bank branch where YOUR account is and deposit it into your account. They will run it through a counting and verifying machine and once they do that, it is final. Then give him the title. Or wire transfer into your account. Yes, don't worry about him knowing where you live after the fact. He will already have the car. He has no reason to want your address, unless you bragged about something else that you have that is valuable.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts