SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shipping my Hellcat -- probably 2K miles -- is just a maybe at this point, but has anyone shipped a Hellcat (or Scat Pack or any nice car) any distance?

Already ahead of you. I will check with my insurance company to be sure the car is covered.

What has me worried is I have heard too many stories from truck drivers who haul cars what sometimes can happen to a car in their charge. The Hellcat I believe would be too great a temptation.

Aware of valet mode. For sure I would put the car in valet mode and supply just the black key unless the shipping company prohibited cars from being put into valet mode -- but I'd ask first and if there was an objection I'd talk to another shipping company -- but valet mode does not guarantee complete safety of the car from being mistreated.

Oh, and driving the car is not out of the question. Just not looking forward to driving my other car (a MINI JCW) 2K miles then making a return trip via probably a one way rental car -- I hate to fly and given the virus thing I would really prefer to not be on a plane at this time: Last thing I need right now is to get that damn Corona bug -- then driving the Hellcat following the same route.

(Actually after having typed the above, a 2K mile road trip in my JCW followed by a 2K mile road trip in a one way rental -- did this back in 2003 and got a nice new Oldsmobile something or other sedan -- followed by yet a 3rd 2K mile road trip this time in my Hellcat doesn't sound all that bad. Actually kind of something to look forward too. I have been off the road so to speak since early January 2015 having been so busy working just never had the time for a nice road trip and this opportunity to make 3 back to back to back is rather tempting. All this driving is not a problem really. I like to drive.)

So maybe I end up driving both my cars back east, but still wanting to hear (read) what others who have shipped a Hellcat or a Scat Pack or really any car one cared anything about have got to say.

·
HOTY Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,402 Posts
I would ship it. I use central dispatch for our company vehicles. Average is $1 a mile. You can request open or closed trailer. Any shipping is a gamble, transporters must post insurance they have. Good luck.

·
HOTY Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,402 Posts
Have pictures taken by the seller as the transporter loads it. Any damage needs to be documented on the bill of lading and signed for by seller. Check wheels, tires, all body panels, number of keys, manuals, floor mats, etc. Go over the car with a magnifying glass when it is delivered.

·
Banned
4,900 Posts
The Hellcat I believe would be too great a temptation.
I can imagine that. You might be tempted to get a data logger, GPS unit, and a lawyer. If you see your car going off the reservation while in transit, call the police in that area and report it stolen, giving them exact coordinates.Get a contract written that specifies exactly and only what is allowed to be done with the car.

Best strategy: tell them it isn't working and remove the driveshaft.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used Montway Transport last time, super reliable, took great care of my cars, especially loading/unloading. Open carrier, no damage, no fooling around. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
8,705 Posts
FCA used Reliable, McCollisters and Pilot Transport to ship the Demons, all first class enclosed carriers.

Jay Leno uses Intercity, another enosed carrier.

Passport is also used by the big guys.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
858 Posts
I can imagine that. You might be tempted to get a data logger, GPS unit, and a lawyer. If you see your car going off the reservation while in transit, call the police in that area and report it stolen, giving them exact coordinates.Get a contract written that specifies exactly and only what is allowed to be done with the car.

Best strategy: tell them it isn't working and remove the driveshaft.
And then the shipper will push it in and out of the trailer, leaving a couple of nice dents in your hood, or deck lid to remember them by. It would be way to hard for them to pop the hood or trunk open and push from there. :(

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FCA used Reliable, McCollisters and Pilot Transport to ship the Demons, all first class enclosed carriers.

Jay Leno uses Intercity, another enosed carrier.

Passport is also used by the big guys.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Checked some threads on car shipping on another forum and Intercity came in for high praise.

I have solicited a quote not for my Hellcat but for my MINI JCW. I think I'll drive the Hellcat back east. Just 2K miles and I've never had it out on the open highway. Would give me a chance to really "bond" with the car.

I'm also exploring getting rid of the JCW. While I really like the car and would prefer to keep it the area I'm considering moving to is in a MINI dealer desert. No MINI dealer nearer than 187 miles. And given the lack of dealers likely there are very few MINI owners thus not likely there is even an indy MINI shop around. Besides I have had lousy luck with indy shops for other brands.

If I can't sell the JCW for a reasonable price then I'll either ship it or drive it back east. Drop the car off. Rent a car one way and drive back to CA, then pick up the Hellcat and drive it back east. I've done this 2 car shuffle at least one time before. It is a "lot" of driving -- around 6K miles -- but I like to drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One option would be Citizenshipper auto shipping service. They are one of the reputed company inside America and i also used there service in starting of this year. There Pricing for shipping consolidating. They was biding system for shipping which makes pricing best and their transporters are also background-checked against felonies and DUI.
There was no damage happen to my car whenever i use them.
So can be a good option. Also for satisfaction you can read detailed customer reviews on each transporter, so you know what to expect.
That's all from my side.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
192 Posts
In 2017 I bought a new Corvette Grand Sport from McMulkin Chevy in Nashua New Hampshire and had it shipped via Intercity to my home near San Diego Calif. Car arrived in perfect condition.

Phil

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In 2017 I bought a new Corvette Grand Sport from McMulkin Chevy in Nashua New Hampshire and had it shipped via Intercity to my home near San Diego Calif. Car arrived in perfect condition.

Phil
Intercity would have likely been my choice. But I ended up driving the Hellcat east (2K miles) to my new home in NWA (Benton County, AR). Before I left CA I sold the JCW.

Once here I replaced it with a 2020 Mercedes Benz Metris 126" cargo van. The M-B dealer here in Bentonville AR is superb. And around 5 miles distant from where I live.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would use shipping. First of all, there are now many companies that provide this service. This means that for a reasonable price, you can find a delivery guy who will bring the car in one piece. Secondly, it is a huge time saver. Who wants to spend a few days to make a trip of two thousand miles? You'll only ruin your health and precious time, even if you save a little money, because you still have to refuel. I have used one car shipping several times. They take pictures before taking the car, and after. So extra damage issues can be resolved quickly. It's better than driving yourself.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Rockster, in Benton huh? I'm a bit north of you on Greers Ferry Lake. Retired here 3 years ago. Great roads up this way. I'd enjoy getting together with some other Hellcat guys to look at their cars and discuss all things Hellcat. There's a ton of Challengers up this way due to Red River Dodge, but very few Hellcats and Redeyes.

·
Registered
295 Posts
As far as shipping goes, it's always a bit dicey. I used to tow my SCCA Corvette around to races, and the towing part was probably the most stressful part of a race weekend. Cars can bounce loose on the trailer unless the tie downs are checked every fuel stop. Getting the tie-downs right takes some expertise too. The tow vehicle has to be right also, as well as the connection. Lots of opportunities to screw up.

Plus, I used to volunteer my driving services at a Nascar driving experience based in Memphis, and we often went on the road and towed 8-10 former Busch Grand National race-cars on a big car-hauler to different ovals/venues. Getting those cars on and off that car hauler was a hair-raising experience, especially the most forward, upper spot. Lot's of clutch slipping, idling and close calls.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My car went from Hawaii to the mainland without any issues via shipping service. The truck drivers along the way take extra care of the more expensive cars because they'll be held liable if there is any damage. Either way, if something happens that's what insurance is for.

You have to be honest and remember these aren't rare cars by any measure. If something happens, it's really not that big of a deal. It can be fixed/replaced quite easily. It's not like we're talking some limited production less than hundred units type of car here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts