SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long Post. This is my current dilemma. Do I trade a PERFECTLY running Challenger Hellcat non-Widebody without a single problem or body issue (like in other some posts) just to get Widebody's fatter tires.

Tried to list some informational points but need help :
  • Tires - Not to many tires can handle the power in either case but for me (about 90% daily driver) the dealer had recommend Pilot Sports and they were really a lot more sticky than Stock. Probably due to softer compound and the fact they are V rated (I really don't go over 155 anyway). I was actually surprise how well they grip withing the first 50 feet compared to stock. Don't know if I can do the same swap (or if I have too) with the Widebody tires.

• The hood - Kind of annoyed at this. I like the old challenger Hellcat hood. It does however make the R/Ts look better but why did they have to make a new hellcat resemble and old R/T. Still thinking about this. Appreciate thoughts

• HP - Ok, there are a few more ponies with the new hood but I doubt I would notice the difference. Not sure if anyone has experience with that yet.

• Redeye - Funny. I asked a car guy relative how much HP is really needed. His answer was "more, for any car". I'm still up in the air on the difference and wondering if it will just take me a step back on street traction considering my first bullet.

• Gas Mileage - What the hell is this doing here! I didn't care about this when I bought the care but was actually pleasantly surprised. I had an old TransAm that got me a whopping 8mpg. I'm averaging 18.8 since last reset 10,000 miles ago. I really have to drive like a semi normal person on daily commute for the most part though I do like the roll on power of this car (lol). This point is only for RedEye swap. Not sure what what the real world numbers are.

• Electric, AWD & cars with less weight - Looking other options that are stupid fast, have some level of AWD and are comfortable like the challenger. Won't mention all names but I'm removing the letter "P" from further car discussions, lol. Also, ZL1 Camaro and new Vette are just too small. Was just wondering about folks thoughts on reasons to stick with a Challenger.
Thanks for any feedback. I'm making decision in next 2 months.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,343 Posts
I’m in the exact same boat. I have a flawless 2016 as well. Flip flopping daily about it too.
Love my car and wouldnt buy another one unless it was a Red Eye. Far too similar already to just have a newer version of my existing car to NOT get the RE.
Red Eye does gives you more than just wider tires. Line lock, 90 more ponies that you wont ever use but can brag about, chiller, Apple Carplay if it matters to you, 3.09 gearing, Demon axles/engine/driveshaft, not to mention newer options like the perf spoiler. And if you’re talking 2020 - far nicer wheels than the 2018/19, carbon fiber interior trim/suede headliner option, leather dash and door inserts, white contrast stitching.
Just some things to think about, my plan is to wait and see if they do the Power Bucks in the fall of 2020.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
619 Posts
I was in the same situation. My Hellcat was a flawless 2017 6m with 7k miles. While the car still had a decent trade value and the power bucks were still active I decided it was time. Same issues with Mopar using the Hellcat hood on other models really pissed me off. I got a fair trade on the car and I’m happy with my new Redeye Widebody. I must admit I really love the A8 with the 309 rear.
A4E80154-F69A-45C8-B8E9-A27425E3C738.jpeg

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,733 Posts
Tires - No need for a widebody, put on Nitto 555R 305/35/20 rears. They work well on the stock rim because they run smaller than a normal 305.

Hood - Sounds like you prefer the current hood. Maybe add hood pins or black out out wrap to make it more unique.

HP/Redeye - Can get much more power for cheaper through custom tuning and pulleys. Warranty is a concern, however, you can get aftermarket stage performance packages with a warranty. For example, Forza offers 835hp with a 12-month/12,000-mile warranty.

Gas Mileage - Redeye and Hellcat are very similar on highway mileage. Both get thirsty once you get on the throttle.

Other things to consider if you still want to get a Redeye vs your Hellcat:

• SRT Power Chiller
  • Torque Management
  • Line Lock
  • Upgraded drivetrain and tear axles
  • UConnect updated with CarPlay

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
142 Posts
Get the appropriate tire and you’ll be fine. I’m running Toyo R888R’s at a 285 and the grab really well.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,508 Posts
Kind of surprised a tire shop would mount V (149mph) rated tires on a car that comes with Y (186+ mph) rated tires.

A newer car, a wide body, with more power, is still going to be under tired. If you could fit F1 tires to the car the engine could still overwhelm the tires.

There will be a depreciation hit getting rid of your 2016. With a new car then you just begin the depreciation count up again.

Don't know about the hood. But if you find the new hood hard to take, like, look at, that's important. I like to own cars that get a look back whenever I park the car.

My Hellcat delivers around 15mpg compared to my JCW which delivers 30mpg when driven the same way. But I don't have to drive the Hellcat every day -- 60 mile work commute -- so the gas mileage is not a real concern.

I have no desire to own an electric car. AWD is not a must have for me. An AWD car -- I owned a Porsche 996 Turbo with AWD -- is heavier than a 2 wheel drive example, is more complex, sits higher, and unless one is going off road and the vehicle has the AWD system to handle that AWD on the street is pretty much just show.The right tires are far more important. If 2 wheel drive car with the right tires can't get going one if probably better off because if it did manage to get going it would not turn or stop.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,521 Posts
If I was buying new today, no doubt it would be a Widebody (and possibly a Charger to change things up). That said, there’s no way I’m giving up my 2016 for a few extra ponies under the hood. When it’s time to replace the stock PZero Summer tires I’ll explore my options, but I don’t think a new Hellcat is worth my car plus thousands of dollars out of my bank account.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
557 Posts
I would go with aftermarket wheels and different tires versus buying a new one unless you can find a dealer that is blowing one out you really like. They are out there, but most are raising the actual prices due to the power dollars rebate. I'm currently between Hellcats having just sold my 15 earlier this year. I don't think I'll ever buy new again they just depreciate too fast for my liking. The sweet spot seems to be the 17s they are still loaded up from the factory and have some nice improvements over the 15-16 and seems the supercharger issues were resolved.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
77 Posts
Hi, I'm have the same exact delima, Had my 2015 almost 5 years 7,000 miles (losing a lot of depreciation) wondering what my dealer would give me on trade for 2020 Redeye. I'm on the fencepost wondering if I buy now they will have a 2021 to die for. Would like a widebody torred with all black graphics on top, 90 more HP, Demonic Red seats, line lock, chiller, updated 8.4. I'm betting on Dodge continuing the $7.900 discount of MSRP, if you notice that was really a "add on" for the widebody kit (hardly worth that much) they can throw that in without costing them much. Wondering when to order to have it by 4/1/2020. Maybe keep the 2015 and trade it for a 2021 Vette, since 2020 will be hard to find. What do you think, would love to hear some good feedback. MERRY CHRISTMAS/HAPPY NEW YEAR

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
44 Posts
I had a 2016 put all the bells and whistles you could and it was maxed out on power for 93 oct i mean headers killer chiller 100mm tb spacers 3 inch all the way back last dyno it ran 790 that was before the spacers and tb and killer chiller which made a significant difference. that being said it had 35k on the clock and who knows what going to happen politically in the next year, if the epa gets its mojo and last administrations cafe requirements that will be game,. So I bought a new fresh platform. while the getting is good.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
888 Posts
There's more to wide bodies than just wider tires. The suspension has been tuned differently from the regular bodied ones, and overall handling is improved. I know it can out handle my stock '15 HC I traded in for it. And yes, traction is much better and needed with these cars. I've yet to even try the line lock or chiller....

In my case, I wanted a Demon until I saw how badly the dealers were marking them up for profit. They (dealers) pulled the same crap back in '15 when I got my HC, and I had to go to 8 different dealers before I could even find one to sell me a HC at sticker price. I said never again will I even pay full sticker price for any car after that.....then Dodge offered the Power Dollar Incentive for 2019....the rest is history.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
1,424 Posts
IMO:

You can have wider wheels made with the correct offset to run 315, and poss larger on a NB HC. That with the Lil Demon flares, car looks fantastic. Triumph is one sponsor that does them I think.

Trading HC to HC, no.
HC to WBHC for a 19, maybe but leaning no.
HC to WBRE, yeah that makes more sense.

Dont sweat the hood. They both look good, in another 6 months you will like it.

Friend of mine went from a 16 HC to a 19 WB RE, He pretty much dailys it, and said the MPG is about 3/4 what the HC was. Traction is nonexistent but the car is a riot.

Electric: No matter how fast or quick, I still want that visceral mechanical feeling and that sound of a motor moved by explosive fuel. even if it is slower.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
330 Posts
Kind of surprised a tire shop would mount V (149mph) rated tires on a car that comes with Y (186+ mph) rated tires.

A newer car, a wide body, with more power, is still going to be under tired. If you could fit F1 tires to the car the engine could still overwhelm the tires.

There will be a depreciation hit getting rid of your 2016. With a new car then you just begin the depreciation count up again.

Don't know about the hood. But if you find the new hood hard to take, like, look at, that's important. I like to own cars that get a look back whenever I park the car.

My Hellcat delivers around 15mpg compared to my JCW which delivers 30mpg when driven the same way. But I don't have to drive the Hellcat every day -- 60 mile work commute -- so the gas mileage is not a real concern.

I have no desire to own an electric car. AWD is not a must have for me. An AWD car -- I owned a Porsche 996 Turbo with AWD -- is heavier than a 2 wheel drive example, is more complex, sits higher, and unless one is going off road and the vehicle has the AWD system to handle that AWD on the street is pretty much just show.The right tires are far more important. If 2 wheel drive car with the right tires can't get going one if probably better off because if it did manage to get going it would not turn or stop.
you had me until awd, your awd argument is absolutely stupid, it's the reason why a heavier trackhawk on the streets will always beat a hellcat on stock tires. Tires can only take you so far just like front engine can only take you so far, these are the limiting reagents.

At some point more horsepower isn't going to get you off the line fast enough which requires the switch to awd which appropriates torque to each axle/wheel, this is all for the street and not "show" my own circa 800hp hellcat w/drag radials will get walked off the line(maybe up to 40mph) by a 500 hp m550(roughly 250+ hp less) just because that car has awd and will launch consistently, it will very quickly catch up to that m550, but if you go to something an m5 which has close to 700 hp(bmw underrates it at factory) it will drop demons on the street just because it launches so hard. On the track however most of these things can be overcome by drag radials and more power, the street is a different story.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
181 Posts
Invest $3,500 and get about 170 more rwhp like I just did. Then get some sticky tires and enjoy. And yes the HP difference is noticeable lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Long Post. This is my current dilemma. Do I trade a PERFECTLY running Challenger Hellcat non-Widebody without a single problem or body issue (like in other some posts) just to get Widebody's fatter tires.

• Tires - Not to many tires can handle the power in either case but for me (about 90% daily driver) the dealer had recommend Pilot Sports and they were really a lot more sticky than Stock. Probably due to softer compound and the fact they are V rated (I really don't go over 155 anyway). I was actually surprise how well they grip withing the first 50 feet compared to stock. Don't know if I can do the same swap (or if I have too) with the Widebody tires.

• The hood - Kind of annoyed at this. I like the old challenger Hellcat hood. It does however make the R/Ts look better but why did they have to make a new hellcat resemble and old R/T. Still thinking about this. Appreciate thoughts

• HP - Ok, there are a few more ponies with the new hood but I doubt I would notice the difference. Not sure if anyone has experience with that yet.

• Redeye - Funny. I asked a car guy relative how much HP is really needed. His answer was "more, for any car". I'm still up in the air on the difference and wondering if it will just take me a step back on street traction considering my first bullet.

• Gas Mileage - What the hell is this doing here! I didn't care about this when I bought the care but was actually pleasantly surprised. I had an old TransAm that got me a whopping 8mpg. I'm averaging 18.8 since last reset 10,000 miles ago. I really have to drive like a semi normal person on daily commute for the most part though I do like the roll on power of this car (lol). This point is only for RedEye swap. Not sure what what the real wortld numbers are.

• Electric, AWD & cars with less weight - Looking other optionacts tihat are stupid fast, have some level of AWD and are comfortable like the challenger. Won't mention all names but I'm removing the letter "P" from further car discussions, lol. Also, ZL1 Camaro and new Vette are just too small. Was just wondering about folks thoughts on reasons to stick with a Challenger.
Hell ya On a Redeye widebody ! Put 325 Toyo Proxis R888R on the rear and 315 's on the front , and now you practically have an affordable Demon that can flat get thru a turn and run a dam quick 1/4 mile as well. Take one for a test drive.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
22 Posts

• Gas Mileage - What the hell is this doing here! I didn't care about this when I bought the care but was actually pleasantly surprised. I had an old TransAm that got me a whopping 8mpg. I'm averaging 18.8 since last reset 10,000 miles ago. I really have to drive like a semi normal person on daily commute for the most part though I do like the roll on power of this car (lol). This point is only for RedEye swap. Not sure what what the real world numbers are.

• Electric, AWD & cars with less weight - Looking other options that are stupid fast, have some level of AWD and are comfortable like the challenger. Won't mention all names but I'm removing the letter "P" from further car discussions, lol. Also, ZL1 Camaro and new Vette are just too small. Was just wondering about folks thoughts on reasons to stick with a Challenger.

i have a 2019 hellcat WideBody and I spin the tires whenever I give it too much throttle even in eco mode

·
Registered
29 Posts
+1

First see what the stealerships will give you for your old, low-horsepower, car that no-one wants just to get the latest and greatest and lose more money when you go to sell that .lol

The above quote is meant to be sarcastic.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts