SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know or have seen a big single turbo set up on a hellcat with the stock SC? In my mind it would qork pretty well with the SC keeping the low end power and once the turbo spools up it picks up the top end. Ive seen the hellion kit already but thats a twin set up. Appreciate any info.

· Banned
‘16 A8 Shaker
3,116 Posts
Big single pushes 1500+ hp worth of air. Your are going to then compress that some more with your blower and push it into a engine that doesn’t like 1500 hp in the first place?

· Registered
'23 Redeye Jailbreak
5,010 Posts
I built a Coyote Mustang with a Whipple and a 75mm turbo. It didn't do so well. Granted, we built it right and had proper blow-off valves and so on, and I'll just say that with that build, it didn't really use both at the same time because it would just over-pressurize and blow most of the boost out to avoid popping the engine. It was "cool" in that it had both, but really, only one or the other made functional power. That car was a salvage titled test mule and never saw the light of day outside of the shop. Was one of those, "I wonder what this would do..." and it just didn't work very well at all. Granted, we weren't a turbo specialty shop or anything and I'm amazed we even got it to work in the first place ;)

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I built a Coyote Mustang with a Whipple and a 75mm turbo. It didn't do so well. Granted, we built it right and had proper blow-off valves and so on, and I'll just say that with that build, it didn't really use both at the same time because it would just over-pressurize and blow most of the boost out to avoid popping the engine. It was "cool" in that it had both, but really, only one or the other made functional power. That car was a salvage titled test mule and never saw the light of day outside of the shop. Was one of those, "I wonder what this would do..." and it just didn't work very well at all. Granted, we weren't a turbo specialty shop or anything and I'm amazed we even got it to work in the first place ;)
I guess first hand experiences are better than hear say. In my mind it "should" work but my knowledge is pretty limited.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it worked, either the OEM's would do it or there would be a bunch of them running around on the street built by reputable shops. There are neither. Why do you think that is?
Because i dont think any mass made consumer car is going to go through throwing a turbo and supercharger on a car. The production price would be a pretty penny. Im looking for first hand accounts over comments like this.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
2,362 Posts
Sooooo....on a gas engine I haven't seen it often other than the Volvo that was mentioned....BUT there was a DOE funded research program where turbocompounding was used. That used both a turbocharger and then a "half a turbo" that took the remaining energy in the waste gas to directly torque on the flywheel. That also had a supercharger in the intake stream IIRC, so it was turbocharged, supercharged, and turbocompounded. Hit an amazing 40% thermal efficiency - still an amazing accomplishment today.

...and it was a beeeeech to tune, drove kinda funny (it was a Class 7 truck) but it worked! not sure i would recommend that approach for driveability.

Nowadays, I'd toss an electric motor on the flywheel and turbocharge if I was starting from a clean sheet.

· Registered
'23 Redeye Jailbreak
5,010 Posts
But to the OP, realistically, if you want a FI solution to boost low range and another for mid to high range use, you'd be more looking at a bi-turbo system akin to what AMG uses. One turbo spins up for low RPM use and the higher RPM unit kicks in at around 3,000rpm or so. Thus, they're sequential and eliminates turbo lag.

· Banned
Durango Hellcat
1,847 Posts
Because i dont think any mass made consumer car is going to go through throwing a turbo and supercharger on a car. The production price would be a pretty penny.
Some cars cost a pretty penny. Does Ferrari do it? Lamborghini? Porsche? McLaren? Bugatti? Pagani? Koenigsegg?

Im looking for first hand accounts over comments like this.
You're looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But to the OP, realistically, if you want a FI solution to boost low range and another for mid to high range use, you'd be more looking at a bi-turbo system akin to what AMG uses. One turbo spins up for low RPM use and the higher RPM unit kicks in at around 3,000rpm or so. Thus, they're sequential and eliminates turbo lag.
Ive read about that. I like the idea of turbo charged over supercharged. I may just hollow out the stock SC and use it for extra cooling if i go that route.

· Registered
322 Posts
Ive read about that. I like the idea of turbo charged over supercharged. I may just hollow out the stock SC and use it for extra cooling if i go that route.
Sequential turbos are great to address turbo lag and to ensure you can properly have the right turbo for the mid/high RPM range! Downside tho is packaging is a nightmare and leakage is almost guaranteed!

I really loved working on C18 IVA engines but man those suckers sure like to leak boost and exhaust which is a real pain when you are trying to run emissions certification tests to ensure other components that we used to modify are emissions compliant!

on the flip side managed to get those engine turbos and exhaust manifolds glowing red to orange 😉 It’s certainly nice to see those engines pulling close to 4,000 ft-lb

· Banned
‘16 A8 Shaker
3,116 Posts
Completely theoretical and curious to hear from people that have done it. Have you done it?
Oh. “Completely theoretical”. So you are not planning on doing this, ya just wanna hear why you shouldn’t and then argue about that?

No, I have not “done it”. Haven’t even built anything that made 100 psi of boost either. Built lots of stuff, top fuel motors down to race diesel stuff. Engines for race boats and aircraft engines too. I have never personally built anything that made over 70 psi. Have friends that made 105. No blower required

6.2 block has no deck. I know I can make the block fail. I do not have to “do it” a few times to know that it will fail. I’ve blown up plenty of shit in the last 60 years

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh. “Completely theoretical”. So you are not planning on doing this, ya just wanna hear why you shouldn’t and then argue about that?

No, I have not “done it”. Haven’t even built anything that made 100 psi of boost either. Built lots of stuff, top fuel motors down to race diesel stuff. Engines for race boats and aircraft engines too. I have never personally built anything that made over 70 psi. Have friends that made 105. No blower required

6.2 block has no deck. I know I can make the block fail. I do not have to “do it” a few times to know that it will fail. I’ve blown up plenty of shit in the last 60 years
Are you always this condescending? If it worked i would give it a go. Hellion has the twin turbo kit so why wouldnt the single big turbo work? And of course its theoretical because i havent done it and im not going to jump into it blindly without some first hand experiences of people that have tried it.

· Banned
‘16 A8 Shaker
3,116 Posts
Our cars (if set up for street) have limited space so twins are easier to fit and plumb

What is the application and what is your theoretical goal?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts