SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before we go any further, this isn't the uninformed, underfunded, Rage FUELED "ZOMG these guys suck cause I don't know what I'm doing" rant that we see so often. I've been through the process at least a dozen times
and while I'm not an expert by any means, I am fairly well informed, and I've got lots of comparative experience dealing with BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Infiniti, Volvo, and Ford where I've NEVER
ran into childish, "fees", and "add ons" let alone the sad 1980s second stickers. But then I EVERY Dodge dealership I walk into essentially feels corrupt the minute you begin working a deal. It's gotten to where my skin crawls when a Dodge "Salesmangler" comes out to talk to me, it's such a sharp contrast from my normal experience.

NOT the salespeople, they've all been friendly and helpful, like they WANT to sell a car, it's the antiquated sales process which seems to be endemic to Dodge and Chrysler.

In 2017 my deal almost failed as they literally lied to me about my credit rating (Not the hysterical buyer ZOMG THEY LIE but actual caught in the lie, being deceitful), qualifying for the interest rate I wanted, all of it. We got it done, after I pitched a fit which included a bit of yelling. But screw that, it made my first months of Hellcat ownership much less enjoyable. Now, same 1980s BS, I swear I'm going to see a four square in a minute, LOL.

I can go Nationwide. ANYONE know of a Dodge dealership ANYWHERE whose sales department isn't still in the 1980s?
You know; not the same old dirtbag "story time" with the Sales Manager tapdance?

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,859 Posts
If your credit is where you think it is why are you using dealer financing to begin with? Dealers are ALWAYS going to try and make money on the interest rate if you give them a sliver of an opening.
You can significantly lower the cringe factor by striking the best price wherever you end up, getting a purchase agreeement, and heading to a credit union for a no nonsense low rate that your honest credit will justify. They cut you a check and you cut the dealer interest rate bs right out of the equation. Ive done this every time now and it really slams the door on the all of that. You are free to just negotiate as if you are paying cash.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,393 Posts
i agree i never finance through the dealer. the sales guys are usually ok it's the money guys at the dealership that make the entire experience awful. skip them completely and you're much better off.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
487 Posts
I gotta say, I never even think about financing when looking at a new car. I assume, and am always right, there are a million people who will take the loan. As for the dealer, I've used them two times....it was easy and their rate in one case beat my own bank. In the other, they were a tad higher but it was something like $2.50/month. I asked the salesman to let me have some time to think about it, and after a few hours of nerve-wracking thought I realized that's like, half a pack of smokes. Since I don't smoke, I decided to go with the dealer's financing.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
772 Posts
It's usually the finance guy who ruins the experience. Credit Union's here is best for financing.
Absolutely. The finance guy is the one you have to watch for. When I bought my Scatpack I told them I don’t want any type of extended warranty. I just don’t keep my cars that long. When I traded it in on a Hellcat the finance guy at the new dealer found it and how he snuck it through. I was able to get my money back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can totally empathise with this. I found almost $1200 added to my SRT Durango after telling the dealer I would not pay for window etching and nitrogen and tint and so forth. I had to bring the contract home and scrutinize it to find the magic used to add the $1200 back in. I got my money back but I had to go through 3 managers to get the reimbursement.
And sadly, no mention of the word "SORRY", or even an OOOOOPS......

I am now looking at privately owned Hellcats for sale.......I went to my Credit Union and secured a limit of which I can go and buy a car and not have to put up with all the dealer magicians and soothsayers and financial wizardry. I know this limits
the availability of Hellcats but since discovering Hellcats ARE NOT sold as Certified Previously Owned vehicles with extended warranties that changed my search to Hellcats sold by owners.

The advantage of buying from dealers seems to be little to none and those with trade ins are almost forced to be told by the dealer....."if you own it, it's worthless.........If we sell it, it's priceless" stop by Walgreens and get your favorite lubricant. You'll need it........

Stay away from Chapman in Scottsdale....................once bitten....twice shy.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
484 Posts
I caught a business manager out fudging the numbers on a car my buddy was buying. Business manager was talking about this/that and typing in the sales contract screen.
Turns out the columns with the price of the car, options, fees etc is NOT A CALCULATOR. It looks like a tally. The end number (product) can be ANY number that the human types in. It was, in fact, 600 bucks MORE than the math added to and the agreed upon price!
I guess this mathematical error could've gone the other way too where my buddy paid not enough? What are the chances of that...

Bring a calculator. Go line by line, add the (agreed upon) values. Hit = sign.
Should be the same.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
510 Posts
Can't recommend my dealer. My wife wanted a pickup as she used to have an F150. We go to the dealer and were ready to pay for a Ram 1500 in cash. The GSM insists on meeting my wife and I. He comes out to meet us and says to my wife.."So...have you ever driven a pickup before"? He might just as well have said "Little Lady". Cost them a sale that day.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,109 Posts
I work in finance and am a partner in a dealership, it is a tough gig and everyone thinks your screwing them constantly. Realistically, you get screwed more by your banking account fees, fuel prices, and car insurance company. Nobody is on carinsurance.org complaining because it is what it is. Plain and simple, do your own leg work, secure your own financing, and have your price your spending when you walk in. Make your offer and they will call, with an agreement or counter. Your paying for convenience when you finance at a dealership. If you have to do it yourself, you will waste a couple Saturday mornings or miss a couple half days of work. You need to keep in mind this is a business and you are dealing with people, people have real life problems and issues behind the scenes, so an experience can be completely different day to day. Everyone is working on a quota and needs to produce to keep an employment status. Don't get me wrong, I would change dealers personally if I was unhappy.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
772 Posts
I work in finance and am a partner in a dealership, it is a tough gig and everyone thinks your screwing them constantly. Realistically, you get screwed more by your banking account fees, fuel prices, and car insurance company. Nobody is on carinsurance.org complaining because it is what it is. Plain and simple, do your own leg work, secure your own financing, and have your price your spending when you walk in. Make your offer and they will call, with an agreement or counter. Your paying for convenience when you finance at a dealership. If you have to do it yourself, you will waste a couple Saturday mornings or miss a couple half days of work. You need to keep in mind this is a business and you are dealing with people, people have real life problems and issues behind the scenes, so an experience can be completely different day to day. Everyone is working on a quota and needs to produce to keep an employment status. Don't get me wrong, I would change dealers personally if I was unhappy.
I wouldn’t mind if a finance guy being pushy. But when I say no and they hide it from me I consider that theft. The last 2 cars I bought I explained that I will never need the extended warranty and that was it. End of story. I should have reported them and him to Dodge but I doubt anything would happen. I will say this though. I will never buy another car from Flagler Dodge again. 4 miles from I home and the last Hellcat I bought in Orlando and the one before that in St Augustine.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,109 Posts
Maybe it was a mistake. Finance will NEVER get a cut or kick back on an extended warranty. Fixing the mistake and being apologetic is a different story.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
772 Posts
Maybe it was a mistake. Finance will NEVER get a cut or kick back on an extended warranty. Fixing the mistake and being apologetic is a different story.
When I worked at the dealer that’s how the finance mgr made his bonus. All the up sales are done in his office.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
So how new IS this Hellcat for which you seek? I may be able to offer you a deal you can't refuse. (Minus the mumbling Marlon Brando overtones.)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,109 Posts
It would be the Sales Manager for us. I know for a fact two other Finance Managers at two different manufacturers dealerships and they do not gain anything from aftermarket warranties.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
Before we go any further, this isn't the uninformed, underfunded, Rage FUELED "ZOMG these guys suck cause I don't know what I'm doing" rant that we see so often. I've been through the process at least a dozen times
and while I'm not an expert by any means, I am fairly well informed, and I've got lots of comparative experience dealing with BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Infiniti, Volvo, and Ford where I've NEVER
ran into childish, "fees", and "add ons" let alone the sad 1980s second stickers. But then I EVERY Dodge dealership I walk into essentially feels corrupt the minute you begin working a deal. It's gotten to where my skin crawls when a Dodge "Salesmangler" comes out to talk to me, it's such a sharp contrast from my normal experience.

NOT the salespeople, they've all been friendly and helpful, like they WANT to sell a car, it's the antiquated sales process which seems to be endemic to Dodge and Chrysler.

In 2017 my deal almost failed as they literally lied to me about my credit rating (Not the hysterical buyer ZOMG THEY LIE but actual caught in the lie, being deceitful), qualifying for the interest rate I wanted, all of it. We got it done, after I pitched a fit which included a bit of yelling. But screw that, it made my first months of Hellcat ownership much less enjoyable. Now, same 1980s BS, I swear I'm going to see a four square in a minute, LOL.

I can go Nationwide. ANYONE know of a Dodge dealership ANYWHERE whose sales department isn't still in the 1980s?
You know; not the same old dirtbag "story time" with the Sales Manager tapdance?
I’ve had amazing experiences with CDJR in Collierville, TN. I did not finance through them though. I second using a credit union. This dealership has gone above & beyond for me with both chargers.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
28 Posts
Ahhh another bash dealership thread. So the op would rather spend days instead of hours buying a hellcat, end up paying more for the car ( after factoring in shipping, plane ticket, fuel,etc), spend days/weeks/months trying to weed thru all the scams and tire kickers while trying to sell their old car, and then end up stroking a check for 1000s to the state for unpaid taxes since you are bringing in a new vehicle from out of state. Then when there is a problem with the car they expect the local dealer to bend over backwards to make the car right since they have no realistic recorse with the selling dealer. The best advice I can give is if you are interested in buying from a dealer contact the fleet/ internet department and establish a relationship over email and the phone and express your concerns before walking in the door so everyone is on the same page. Makes the transaction go much smoother and faster and everyone is satisfied.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts