SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger HC A8
73 Posts
Ummm, Good thing that truck was there or those sitting on the curb would've been in a world of hurt.

And it's not just dumbass Hellcat or Mustang drivers, We were out this morning and stopped at a red light, Dumbass driver in an already beat up 4-door Yoda ran the light by trying to go around stopped traffic on a turn lane and clipped the front end of a turning semi and flipped over into a bank parking lot.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,039 Posts
About what I'd expect from someone with those 2-foot cat head decals plastered to the quarter panels.
"Look at me!" "No, really, see what I can do!"

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
879 Posts
First impression, the first video starts after the driver had already "lost it." He made the big mistake of going WOT in the middle of a turn and tried to steer out of torque steer, which we know doesn't work, and it also really doesn't work when you're not pointed straight to begin with. The proper course of action should have been to release the throttle about a second before the video started. Otherwise, turning left to get back into the lane while under torque steer effects from the acceleration causes the massive hook to the left.

Thankfully this dummy is out of a car and has hopefully learned a lesson. This is the kind of thing people do when they step up to a Hellcat from something like a Subaru BRZ. The only way you can "catch a wheel" in a little import is to got WOT in a hard turn. For those of us who know better, we know not to do this, pretty much ever in a 700hp car.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,301 Posts
This is what ‘Sport’ Traction on the street looks like.
ooo no I run sport lol

My tire marks look just like the meme above.

I will say it has cut a wheel spinning before when I got really out of sorts. I think it kicks in when you get too sideways but let's you burn em up if it's only at a slight angle

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
173 Posts
ooo no I run sport lol

My tire marks look just like the meme above.

I will say it has cut a wheel spinning before when I got really out of sorts. I think it kicks in when you get too sideways but let's you burn em up if it's only at a slight angle

Yea I've encountered some violent fishtail a couple of times with sport traction. I believe it does prevent you going sideways to a point but I didn't let the car go sideways enough to test out it’s ability to see if it really saves you. If anything I just let off the throttle and the car behaved. I also didn’t have the best tires at the time so unless someone has stickier tires then I wouldn’t really recommend sport traction.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
879 Posts
Yeah, sport has lateral grip departure warnings built in. But, I don't think it would matter either way as to what mode he was in. Torque steer makes the car want to pull left (as in, most inexperienced drivers want to turn right to get out of it). This guy was in a controlled torque steer as he made the left hand turn. The problem was that his car's intended line of advance (inertia) was aimed right of center, and had he held it, the car naturally would have wanted to go off the road. You can see his wheels, he turned right a bit to get into the right lane, which unsettled the rear even more. Then, while still under torque steer conditions, he gave it more gas, thinking he was settled when he in fact was not. This instantly accelerated the car's motion to the left.

In short, the driver was straight, but he incorrectly thought he had traction. When he corrected slightly left once in the right lane, he has never let off the gas and the car was still floating on the rear (you can see how he has to turn the wheel right just before he lost it completely). When he goosed it into WOT, the car wasn't planted on the pavement and all his forward inertia went into a left-hand torque steer instead. I don't think the traction control could have saved someone from that. Not in street friendly distances anyway. It might have kept him from going off the road in time, but not quick enough to avoid the truck.

Most of the people are wearing hoodies and jackets... so if it was below 60 degrees and he was on summer tires, then that's just plain old stupid beyond stupid.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I run mine in Sport mode for the the trans, street traction to along with it. In street traction I can sometimes do a little fish tailing but he car wont let me go crazy. Nevertheless that could have been prevented by lifting your freaking foot off the accelerator.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
879 Posts
I love torque steer. I never ever had a loss of control with the 69 Coronet. Drive it, smolder them, steer it all day long. These new cars look scary by comparison.
This post isn't really directed towards you, but I'm posting this here for info purposes, as the majority of Mustangs vs. crowds and wayward Hellcats are caused by misunderstanding what's going on. Beware: Mild science talk and physics involved.

Torque steer is a bit of a misconception by a lot of people. Torque steer is "normally" a car still in perfect control. Inertia is still carrying the car in the intended direction, although the rear end may kick out to the right a little. Holding the wheel straight and maintaining even acceleration will cause the car to gently settle and continue on in the same direction. Where people mess up is they feel the rear end get a little sideways and they overreact. Imagine a car pointed north, and torque steer begins. The car is traveling north, just with the rear end kicked out. Turning left or right is going to change the heading of the vehicle in relation to the path the car was on when the torque steer began. Thus, turning right during a leftward torque steer will cause the vehicle to bite and sluggishly, but unexpectedly turn right when traction is regained. Turning left turns into the torque steer and you get compounded turn frequency, which can cause a snap turn. It is almost always wrong to turn during a torque steer. This is because the driver is changing the the vehicle's orientation during a low traction event with a large mass in radial motion (rear end is typically going to be kicked out, so when it rights itself, the extra mass is going to move in compound force depending on the new heading direction).

(Forgive me if I'm not using specific equations and formula here. I suck at math, but I aced Math logic and all my physics classes)

What it all boils down to is that during torque steer, the affects of steering can often be unexpectedly magnified. How much and in which direction depends on a lot of factors: Tires, driver ability, throttle input, vehicle mass, rotational mass (drivetrain), and so on. Experience with the vehicle lets a driver understand what its torque steer characteristics are. This is very important for any big power car driver to learn. I imagine if someone has never driven anything in the ballpark of a Hellcat before, the first time they experience torque steer, they might have to change their shorts. But it's normal, predictable, and driving out of it is pretty darn easy once you understand it.

The easiest way out is to gently roll off of the throttle and the car will settle. Another is to maintain even throttle and it will also settle, just a bit further down the road. You don't want to slam on the brakes (car can spin out), and you don't want to turn the wheel more than say, 10-15 degrees. Any type of snap movement, aka throttle off, turning, hard braking, all will impart some form of magnified reaction. The worst things you can do is apply more power (assuming you are trying to remain in control), or turn quickly.

Torque steer is the effect in play of a mass of stored potential energy that is about to unleash. It's either going to unleash you straight ahead into acceleration, or it is going to release you in some other direction. Or, in the case of braking, think a very short, very violent lurch in a direction followed by some whiplash. It bears mentioning that if danger is in close proximity, braking may be the correct response... but it might not work like you expect it to. When the rear end is loose, the rear won't have sufficent grip to assist in braking. So, that rear end is going to continue to come around (or pendulum style snap back the other direction) and your brake action will be 30-40% less effective. If you watch enough YouTube videos, you'll see Mustangs and Hellcats bouncing off of curbs sometimes. This is typically the result of hard braking during loss of traction and the rear end just walks out and smacks the curb.

·
Registered
Durango Hellcat
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This post isn't really directed towards you, but I'm posting this here for info purposes, as the majority of Mustangs vs. crowds and wayward Hellcats are caused by misunderstanding what's going on. Beware: Mild science talk and physics involved.
Tell us more about your accomplishments as a competitive driver and your credentials as a HPDE instructor.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Widebody Redeye
380 Posts
did anyone catch the little kid in the 2nd video on the right side clapping after the hellcat crashes?🤣😂🤣

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,468 Posts
Go take your cars or trucks out to snow covered parking lots and practice, practice, practice keeping it straight with no computer help while ripping it. Then practice getting out of control and recovering, again, again and again. We have been doing that since we could drive up here in the great white north. You can get real familiar with vehicle control for cheap.

That guy was throttling it up and down and he wanted to really launch it past the pickup. He gave it too much throttle all of a sudden just behind the truck, and it fishtailed like a Mustang. He was inexperienced, on drugs or worse liquor and did not catch it. It was an ugly Hellcat anyway.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts