1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team,

Quick Update,

I just installed the Hawk HPS 5.0 on my challenger SRT - 2017, but while driving it squeals like a haunted car. I am not sure how to stop them, too much going on here
Did any one have had similar experience before on changing their brake pads?

Thanking in advance.
Alien.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure of their process, you will have to look it up
After installing new brake pads, make 6-to-10 stops from approximately 30-35 MPH applying moderate pressure. Make an additional 2-to-3 hard stops from approximately 40-45 MPH. Allow at least 15 minutes for the brake system to cool down. After step 4 is completed, your new Hawk Performance brake pads are ready for use.

No I guess i did not make the 30-35 to stop :( Whats next ?

·
Registered
In The Market
437 Posts
Go out and make some hard stops. That is all I have ever done to break them in. I have used the HPS pads on a few of my Mustangs and never had them squeal.

The dust is way to much for a daily driver on the stock Brembo pads so I went to the Z26 just weeks after getting my Daytona based on many people being happy with them. I don't understand why some say they don't perform well. You shouldn't notice a difference stopping while driving in traffic

Now if you are going to go to a road coarse, not only would I change tires but I would change brake pads. The Brembo pads get great reviews on the track

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,724 Posts
I feel your pain. Tried the Hawk SP series and those also squealed like a banshee. I went out to do at least 3 bedding procedures and no joy. Love the bite just can't take the noise. I'm in the process of pulling my hair out trying to find quiet pads. Not sure if our 6 piston calipers are the problem since there is more surface area or what.

What ever you do, don't bother with the EBC Redstuff pads. Currently in a battle to return those POS noisy & dusty pads. Not cheap either.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
909 Posts
After installing new brake pads, make 6-to-10 stops from approximately 30-35 MPH applying moderate pressure. Make an additional 2-to-3 hard stops from approximately 40-45 MPH. Allow at least 15 minutes for the brake system to cool down. After step 4 is completed, your new Hawk Performance brake pads are ready for use.

No I guess i did not make the 30-35 to stop :( Whats next ?
An important note missing here- Do NOT come to a complete stop when breaking in the pads. Slow to a crawl, then speed back up for the next round. The "15 min cooldown" should be non-stop driving, with no braking (or very little) if possible. Don't park it with hot brakes for "cooldown" or you'll end up with a nice pad material deposit on the rotor and a shudder when you hit the brakes.

Here is the Powerstop bed-in procedure for reference that has a little more detail-
What is the Break-In Procedure? - Power Stop

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,724 Posts
LOL, including the OE Brembos, I've tried Z26's, Hawk, Disc Brake Australia, EBC and now fingers crossed with Disc Italia ceramics. Help, I think I'm OCD...but really good at changing pads.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
9 Posts
I just installed HPS plus on my 16 SRT and did a full weekend at the Mont Tremblant race track and they are awesome. They don't feel too different in initial bite but hold up very well to the abuse on a track with repeated braking from 200km/h. No squealing on the street either, dead quiet.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,470 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with super loud squeal with some rear Hawk HP+ pads. I did not do the break in procedure, just a few initial stops that caused everyone to look in my direction. I redid it with lube at all metal contact points and no change. Tonight I'll take a look at the pad edges. I think this pad may not have beveled edges. If not, I'll consider filing them to at least a break edge.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,137 Posts
The DTC -60's and -70's are not that embarrassing! They make some noise, but not that bad. Let us know.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
9 Posts
Installed some HP+ in the rears and oh my do they squeal like nobody's business. Did you install the metal backing plates from the factory brembos? That might have been my mistake.

I have noticed that after a track session, they are dead quiet for a day and afterwards the squeal comes right back with a vengeance.

I heard the DTC 60/70 are really harsh on the rotors, is that true?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,470 Posts
Installed some HP+ in the rears and oh my do they squeal like nobody's business. Did you install the metal backing plates from the factory brembos? That might have been my mistake.

I have noticed that after a track session, they are dead quiet for a day and afterwards the squeal comes right back with a vengeance.

I heard the DTC 60/70 are really harsh on the rotors, is that true?
I did not lube or install the factory metal backing plates the first time on Friday last week. After all the noise I took it back apart and installed the metal plates and cleaned and lubed all parts with some brake grease. No change. Tonight I'll look at the edges of the pad and see if I should bevel them.
If this doesn't work I'll use them for my track weekend coming up and then get some PowerStop pads for the street.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts