SRT Hellcat Forum banner

SRT 2015 Quality Control at Brampton

11K views 60 replies 37 participants last post by  ghostcat 
#1 · (Edited)
It is unfortunate that I have to use social media to express my dissatisfaction with a brand new 2015 Charger SRT. I have reached out to Chrysler Canada to get an apology, reasoning or explanation to what happened to my car during the manufacturing process.
Before I start I would like to state to those skeptics out there, I am a big Chrysler, Dodge fan after owning 6 of their vehicles in last 8 years and 3 of them being SRT's. Just wanted to make everyone aware of paint/body panel issues with my SRT that I picked up last week. This is an amazing car, but it is disappointing that quality control at the assembly plant would not take more pride in their work and craftsmanship of these amazing cars. See attached for these issues in case you wanted to see what to look for. And yes dealership will fix all of these issues, but would you want to repaint 4 body panels of your brand new car and deal with color matching and having a brand new car with non-original paint after 7 days. Let's not even talk about trading it in and getting less value due to having it repainted, because someone did not want to do their job and check it thoroughly.
I do realize this is a mass produced car and expecting a show car paint on a factory painted vehicle would be absurd, all I am asking for a paint job without massive overruns and sheet metal/body panels with less than 1/4" overlap or gap. I would like to ask a QC person that verified and approved my car with passing marks if he/she would do the same if this was their car. Being a direct supplier and or Tier 1 to Chrysler I am well aware that these cars are not limited production/low volume cars, therefore there is a certain volume/capacity that needs to be met. I was just hoping that Chrysler would stand by their slogan "World Class Manufacturing" by executing and deploying all of their standard protocols and procedures on every single vehicle.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear that.. Some come out perfect, most in fairly good shape for a mass produced car (expecting show car paint on a factory painted car might be pushing it) but obviously some not so great ones slip through like yours. Look at it this way, if this WAS found at the factory after it was built it would probably still be re-sprayed as a shop would do. Likely not going to replace panels since the whole car is painted at once (except bumpers, mirrors, door handles, spoilers which are painted by vendor).

#5 ·
Welcome to the group. Is that the Torred from Windsor Chrysler? I got my B5 Blue from there. Sitting in my garage on the hoist till spring arrives. I have some issues also with the paint in mine and I haven't even washed it and inspected a clean car yet.

Reactions: Ironside
This post has been deleted
#11 ·
It is great that you have the quality of humility (as all good people have) and are of the spirit to apologize; but I recommend that apology be directed to the Brampton workers, my friend. These cars are great! All manufacturing will have an error rate that is related to production volume. The higher the volume, the higher the "acceptable" error rate would need to be. Volumes are set by management, not by the workers, who - in general - will do their best. (Just as I assume you do in your job).

Most folks are good and honest, and take pride in their work. If that were not high enough motivation, I would imagine (as in my line of work) that employees are penalized for work below a certain quality level; so there are multiple levels of incentive for them to do their best within their work parameters. No need to insult people - especially in such an anonymous fashion.

#12 ·
Brampton workers, especially the line workers do a good job. If you should question anyone it would be the QA personnel, in my opinion.

Our very own Brampton Builder member has done great work at the factory for many years. To call them welfare people is truly an insult... :(

#57 ·
We, Brampton hourly, thank you for your support! I've been an electrician at the plant for 24 years and can honestly say that our production workers do the best job they can with the resources on hand (oldest paint shop in the corporation and probably one of the oldest in the industry) they have a great deal of pride in their work and the product we build. They are top notch. I walked my own Cat through the plant from beginning to end and never once had to ask for special or extra care to be taken. Unfortunately some problems get through but believe me non of these people would notice any of these flaws and ignore them! The flaw would be reported and that is the extent of their power to influence the outcome. We as a group are constantly trying to improve all aspects of our cars and our building! its our bread and butter!
I'm sorry for DFR392 and hope the dealer will satisfy you though I understand no one wants their brand new car to need repair.
I will promise you that I will show your pics to the paint quality manager and let him read this whole thread so that he can see the cause and effect of flaws going out the door!

#15 ·
Not to worry Caren. I got the bad one.

I guess I got my just deserts since I am one of the "overpaid welfare people" that the "lunaticdog" was talking about. I apologize to all my 4 legged friends out there.

#18 ·
Just wanted to make everyone aware of paint/body panel issues with my SRT that I picked up last week. This is an amazing car, but it is disappointing that quality control at the assembly plant would not take more pride in their work and craftsmanship of these amazing cars. See attached for these issues in case you wanted to notify anyone at the higher level. And yes dealership will fix all of these issues, but would you want to repaint 4 body panels of your brand new car and deal with color matching and having a brand new car with non-original paint after 7 days. Let's not even talk about trading it in and getting less value due to having it repainted, because someone did not want to do their job and check it thoroughly. I do realize this is a mass produced car and expecting a show car paint on a factory painted vehicle would be absurd, all I am asking for a paint job without massive overruns and sheet metal/body panels with less than 1/4" overlap or gap. I would like to ask a QC person that verified and approved my car with passing marks if he/she would do the same if this was their car. Tried contacting Chrysler Canada and no replies from their end.
While your complaints may have merit, making accusations as to plant workers intent or attitude by saying "not taking pride in their work", and "not wanting to do their job" are terribly presumptuous and unfounded. I'm sure every employee at the plant does the best they can to provide every customer with as perfect a car as they can. Keep in mind the number of cars being manufactured at Brampton (I believe it's in excess of 20,000 a month), and the extra shifts everyone there is working to get our cars out to us as quickly and flawlessly as possible.
This isn't Ferrari or Aston-Martin we're buying from. They make fewer cars in a year than Brampton puts out in a month.
There are more diplomatic ways of expressing disappointment than how you've gone about it. I'm sure you'd be very defensive if the shoe were on the other foot and people made statements that "you didn't care or take any pride" in your work if what you did didn't come out perfect every time.. :rolleyes:

#19 ·
I agree, extra shifts yes, I thought my car was built on 12/22/2015 a Monday but I think It was fnkychkn, could be wrong, said look at the sticker on the door jam it says build day and time and my car was built on the 21st Sunday and time was 6 pm. looks like they are working the extra even on Sundays. Thanks for the hard work Brampton Builders.

#20 ·
My car has a couple specks of dirt up by the fin, good spot you don't see them for the most part and either the fuel door housing or the fuel insert seems to be slightly lower to the right and the strip of leather on the right side of the alcantara seat is wrinkled a little when it was stiched. But what the he%# its a Mopar you gotta love it to understand Mopar.:) Its funny when old Mopars are brought back they look for things like paint runs in the engine bay or I have even seen decals slightly crooked original they recreate what was original. That was how my car was born so I will keep her few flaws, it makes her one of a kind:rolleyes:

#21 ·
not to take lightly the issues but most of what I can see is easily repairable,clearcoat sags can be wetsanded and polished out . that scratch on the fascia would never leave the plant like that so it has to have happened during shipping .

paint is an issue we have been dealing with for years. Ive posted this before and I will post it again, we are doing the best we can with what we are given
New paint shop not in the cards for Brampton Chrysler plant

#30 ·
not to take lightly the issues but most of what I can see is easily repairable,clearcoat sags can be wetsanded and polished out . that scratch on the fascia would never leave the plant like that so it has to have happened during shipping .

paint is an issue we have been dealing with for years. Ive posted this before and I will post it again, we are doing the best we can with what we are given
New paint shop not in the cards for Brampton Chrysler plant
I thought the plant was just shut down for a week to get a new paint shop/booth/sprayer?

#22 ·
I agree, the runs can be worked out and certainly not repainted...too much clear is far better than not enough.

The paint and finish on my car is one of the best I've ever had...

Reactions: ChallengerDad
#23 ·
This is what I have to say. A little dirt in paint can happen. But runs in the clear is no excuse not to be fixed before it leaves. Mine has icicles off the well wells and they tried fixing one fender and sanded threw the paint to bear steel. Good thing is if I don't point it out know one knows.

Btw bb thanks for the hard work. It's not on you.

#24 ·
I agree with that, clearly an issue caused by someone over correcting. I'd personally rather fix those things myself as they are going so quick that the repair might make matters worse.

#25 ·
I agree especially when you see the amount of inspection these cars get , once painted cars get inspected for issues , then once the car is built it get looked over again , once shipped there is an outside company who inspects every car before it enters the shipping companies shipping yard and finally the dealer does its inspection PDI when the car is delivered . not to mention the hundreds of workers on the line who have the ability to highlight any issues they notice on the cars when they are doing there work

#29 ·
I think the outside company is the last to do the inspection before it hits the dealer are the people that have to take a little more time to catch this stuff. I know if I was one of those outside inspectors the things that are getting by would not get by me. A little more time on outside inspection is the answer.

#26 ·
For most people who have no idea what really happens inside a large manufacturing/assembly plant, that kind of quality getting out the doors usually isnt the fault of the worker. Management makes the calls about what cars will get shipped. Even though everyone there knows that it should get dropped to I status and go to lowbake for repair.They need to ship cars and keep their ship numbers high and their unavailables (repair cars) low. Those kind of issues should never have left that plant unfixed regardless of who is to blame. I understand your frustration as we would all like ours cars to be perfect. Your paint issues are most likely from a paint shop that they wont shut down to clean properly maintain. FM (foreign material) in the paint, sags and thin paint can all be attributed to poor to almost zero maintainence.

#27 ·
Being an ex QC manager, I can attest to the pride of the worker; for the most part. If the defect is smaller than the cost of repair time to delivery, it will be repaired. Stacking up repairs takes space and time. These vehicles are projected on a certain cost basis. Anyone that thinks, from a management standpoint, that defects are purposely overlooked cannot see the cost to goodwill of the customer. This is most likely why they depend on the dealers to take care of "warranty" issues. The dealer can take the pulse of the public and report which areas of concern the factory should concentrate on most. All things being equal, I think Brampton has done a great job of assembling vehicles which are made with numerous vendor parts. Keep sending those great 'Cats south.

#31 ·
Dodge makes a B grade product.....most likely always has

you didnt know that when you ordered your car?

personally i would have passed on the car and found another.......i have a repainted front bumper that doesnt match,but its my fault.....i wouldnt pay full price for a car with 4 repainted panels, just like i wouldnt expect someone to pay ME full price for my used HC that has been in an accident....if you accept this car your making a mistake in my opinion...i know you want it, but find another

my 2011 SRT was delivered with a hvac blower motor non functioning...made it through Dodge QA and Dealership QA....also every headliner in 2011 is crooked....they told me they cant fix....look at any 2011 along the back window...most are off by 1".....some paint just fell off inside my trunk(inside rim)...about the size of a pencil eraser...like a dot where the paint never stuck..i fixed it myself.......my brother had a 2013 300----had to get the rear fender repainted(brand new)...Dodge has bad paint.....maybe always has?

my 2015 hc paint is decent.....ive looked it over many times...i can find some dirt in the paint, but not much

you bought a Dodge......if your fussy you should have looked at brand name reviews....Dodge is always at the bottom

i bought a challenger 2x, not because of Dodge.....but because i love the Challenger.....i accept it will have flaws, i accept it will most likely need more repairs........it is what it is...its a Dodge......if you want better Quality id look into a Hyundai or Kia

your also not buying a car designed to be a $70k car....your buying a $25k car that they shoved an awesome powertrain into......its a $25k car still body wise

in 2011 they were supposed to have updated their painting process......they have always had bad paint...i remember tons of complaints back in 2011...

#32 ·
Yes indeed that is Dodge in a nut shell, but you take the chance to get a car with as little issues as possible for the fact other car companies barley venture into the Crazy category like, the mighty Supercharged Hemi 707hp 650tq.

For the whole package, the Hellcat. I will gladly accept the few minor things I see on mine to have this car.

But I must say, The 3 Challengers I have had, a 201 R/T a 2014 SRT Core 392 and now the Hellcat there has been improvements from each car to now.

My hellcat has the best paint, Pitch Black I have seen yet on a Mopar, except for 2 speaks of dirt up by the fin but I except that. If Dodge wasn't trying to get better that is one thing, but they are trying and they are getting better that is what counts.

#33 ·
Wow, I've bought 7 Chargers and Challengers as well as the new Hellcat for the wife in the past 6 years and little imperfections on only 1 of them fixed by the dealer. $105,000 BMW had more imperfections than all of these MOPARS combined. Daughter is a production supervisor @ Ford and regardless of how close or how much they check for all of it sometimes it gets out. Hell GM is recalling over 4 million cars and trucks. Talk about qa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.