SRT Hellcat Forum banner

SRT 392 Challenger VS R/T 392 VS Scat Pack??

32K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  trancein 
#1 ·
Hello all,
Name is Shane and brand new to the forum.
First wanted to start off by apologizing for posting this here if this is not the place for this type of question...
So I have fell in love with the look of the Challenger and Charger but have made my mind up with the Challenger.
Although when looking into the different types or trims and it's kind of confusing..
If somebody could be kind enough who is knowledgeable to help me out, I would appreciate it more than you know as I'm looking to purchase a car this upcoming week, and would love to know the differences between the three.
I'm trying to stay under 35k.
So I'm undecided between a used SRT 392 vs the Scat Pack and then I have seen online a R/T 392 package which i have no idea what that really is compared to the SRT 392.
Thank you so much for your help in advance. :):cool:

#2 ·
-SRT 392 is the actual SRT package
-Scat Pack is the trim, it’s the RT Scat Pack
-R/T Scat Pack is the actual model, it is “powered by SRT” with the 392.

the Scat Pack is an actual RT model, just with the 392 and parts to support it. But it is defined as a RT, do not let anyone tell you different.

The SRT 392 stopped being made in 2018, 2019+ is the RT Scat Pack “powered by SRT”.

#6 ·
I understand that.
And by the way, thank you for your responses.
But why do they put R/T 392 on some listings when it's the same thing as a scat pack if there is no difference...? It just has been confusing to me to try to find the difference.

#11 ·
I understand that. And thank you both very much for the answers.
Can't wait to eventually be apart of the family. :p
Apart? So you’re ditching us already...

Wait. A part. Ah. Game on.

Welcome to the ball busting 101 forum.:geek:

SRT is a Hellcat but with the 392. The rest not so much.

Reactions: ArchGE
#12 ·
IT depends on the year. SRT 392 was basically a HC without the blower. Pretty sure 2018 was the last year for that model
Scat Pack began to take its place with Dodge incrementally offering some SRT options the Scat Pack in 17? .
Early on you could only get certain things with certain packages (My 18 T/A 392 had every thing an SRT 392 had except the badges and adaptive suspension)
but by 2019 you could option a Scat Pack 392 with the same stuff as an SRT 392 used to come standard (suspension, big brakes etc) with the exception of the badges and steering wheeil.
I think for 20, the Flat bottom wheel now comes with the dynamics pkg.

Reactions: ArchGE
#14 ·
It was unique even then. Was the lowest production Challenger of all.

Reactions: Klaus and ArchGE
#16 ·
I traded in my '13 SRT8 392 6M for my '16 Hellcat 6M, the '13 was a great car sometimes I wish I could have afforded to keep it as a daily driver as it had much better manners on the street. It lost popularity when the Hellcat hype was at fever pitch and the 392 became available in the lower priced Scat Pack and T/A cars.

#18 ·
I pretty much agree with the above comments, one other thing to consider is that the SRT 392's were usually fully optioned out. I know mine has heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, smart wipers, sueded leather, SRT specific gauge package, SRT specific launch controls, blind spot indicators/heated mirrors and the electronics package. It also comes with adaptive cruise control (auto Trans) and other options ONLY available if you buy a Scat R/T with every option available. I bought my SRT used and got a great car for a LOT less than new.

#21 · (Edited)
I've got a 392 Scat Pack Shaker (powered by SRT). front has 275's. Rear 295's. Hellcat air intake. All 392's are ScatPacks. Not all R/T's are ScatPacks. ScatPacks have SRT Engines, but are not SRT models. Dodge is confusing the hell out of folks. But the Bottom line is: Demon-->Hellcat RedEye-->Hellcat-->1320-->SRT 392-->392 ScatPack-->RT ScatPack-->RT and the rest...

#22 ·
I've got a 392 Scat Pack Shaker (powered by SRT). front has 275's. Rear 295's. Hellcat air intake. All 392's are SRT alike, Not all ScatPacks are 392's. Not all R/T's are ScatPacks. Dodge is confusing the hell out of folks. But the Bottom line is: Demon-->Hellcat RedEye-->Hellcat-->1320-->SRT 392-->392 ScatPack-->RT ScatPack-->RT and the rest...
Damn! I bet Dodge adds a few more to keep everyone guessing.

#23 ·
why would a 1320 be over a SRT 392? The 1320 is starts as a SP. Wasn't it 2019 when they killed the SRT 392 and just added every option to the SP if you wanted it to match what the SRT 392 would have been. I had a 2015 and loved the car. It was rather rare because most people bought the HC or SP's. 2015-2019 SP's have adaptive suspension but it is only two mode instead of three. Then in 2018 I think they started offering the dynamics package which gave the SP the brakes and wheels and tires of the SRT.

#26 ·
2015-2019 SP's have adaptive suspension but it is only two mode instead of three.
No adaptive suspension on Scat Pack until 2019 (standard on WB, optional on NB).

You're thinking of the 2012 SRT8 which had a 2-mode suspension then later went to the current 3-mode.

Scat Packs without the adaptive basically have the same fixed suspension as the 2013-14 SRT8 Core.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#25 ·
IMO, the 1320 gets the edge over the SRT 392 because of its Transbrake, torque reserve and line lock, not to mention a 3.09 gearset. Although the SRT 392 is no longer in production, It is still available to purchase (used) and someone in the market still has an opportunity to purchase one.

#27 ·
I never consider discontinued models in a comparison like that regardless if you can find a used one. Using that method seems open ended, you would need to draw a line somewhere. Do you include 70’s Challengers? Do you include only modern day models? I think by only including current offerings it really just simplifies things. Although the thread is asking specifically about SRT’s so your method applies.

#33 ·
dont forget the ScatPack gets the Widebody and it comes in Narrow Body... it does have LineLock, 3.09 gears as well, adaptive suspension, 305 tires, etc....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.