SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everybody. I figured the best time to start posting is now. Curious about a few Hellcat things plus want to get closer to participating in the Classified section of the forum.

Real quick and dirty on me is I bought a Sublime SRT 392 a few years ago to dip my toes into the performance car world. Loved that car, still do actually.

Ended up selling it while I positioned myself for an out-of-state move (and a baby and a new house and...and). Fast forward to now and the rest of my life has finally been stabilized (and improved) enough that I'm ready to cannonball into owning a Hellcat.

I've posted on ChallengerTalk a bit but figured I'd try out this community too.

I'm a picky ***** so that's really what's pushing me to register here. I'm looking for a 2018 WB 6sp in a certain set of colors rather then a new one because I'm not a fan of the dual snorkel hood (especially with dual stripes). If worst case happens and I can't find it, I'll likely customize a new 6sp WB and just suck it up. But yeah, nice to meet y'all.

Tell me about your feelings if you've gone from 392 to Hellcat.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,519 Posts
Welcome aboard. I went from a 2015 SRT to a 2016 HC and tbh the difference was not earth shattering. I for sure know I'll be getting bashed for my impression but it is what it is. The SRT is basically a HC with less power but is still no slouch. Same brakes, same interior, same suspension, same exhaust, same performance pages, same overall feel. So when I got the HC I was sort of 75+% already there if that makes sense. Felt extremely familiar.
With that being said where you will def notice it is when youre on the gas into triple digits. The HC pulls like a freight train and keeps pulling HARD where the SRT sort of flattens out. And the SC whine - oh the whine. Glorious sound. Also when people ask if it's a HC you can finally say yes without the 30 minute explanation about what an SRT is because no one has heard of it. Sound familiar?
You wont regret it.
After the HC I got a Redeye. another step forward for sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaha my man. Your sentence talking about 'being able to answer that YES it's a Hellcat' hits me deep. I used to always say 'nah, it's the one with a bigger engine' lol The theatrics of the Hellcat is definitely a factor in why I'm willing to spend extra on it rather then a 392. I loved everything about my SRT 392 so add some more UMPH above 60 and I'll be in love even more. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
152 Posts
Just as an FYI...You cannot factory order a 2021 6 speed Hellcat Challenger at this time. It could become late availability this year, but no one seems to know for sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did manage to see about not being able to order 6sps yet though my bit of lurking/searching. I figured I'm in no rush and I'm going to put effort into finding that perfect 2018 until I get frustrated (or too anxious).

Also, I was seriously considering a Gen 2 Viper before my wife convinced me to settle on one car. Does your Viper get much road time?

Whoops, I thought I quoted you, thetalonguyh. When did I get so old as to not remember how to work a forum lol got it now.

Just as an FYI...You cannot factory order a 2021 6 speed Hellcat Challenger at this time. It could become late availability this year, but no one seems to know for sure.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
152 Posts
I did manage to see about not being able to order 6sps yet though my bit of lurking/searching. I figured I'm in no rush and I'm going to put effort into finding that perfect 2018 until I get frustrated (or too anxious).

Also, I was seriously considering a Gen 2 Viper before my wife convinced me to settle on one car. Does your Viper get much road time?

Whoops, I thought I quoted you, thetalonguyh. When did I get so old as to not remember how to work a forum lol got it now.
Hell yea...I put over 25K miles on it in the last 6+ years. Last year was pretty much the exception to the rule with not many events due to COVID. I've even taken it from NY to New Orleans and back...The seats are actually very comfortable (at least to me). I'd say the only pain point is that there is no dead pedal. So on long trips you have to find somewhere to put your left foot comfortably.

Honestly, it was the best decision I've ever made. It may not be up to date technology wise, but it's a pure drivers car.

Good luck with your search! I've been at it for the last couple of months...I'm checking out one tomorrow a couple of states over. If all checks out mechanically, I'll be buying and hopefully bringing it home next week.

·
Registered
420 Posts
OK, so this isn't going to be popular on a Hellcat forum but....

If you don't need the backseat get the Viper. I'm actually getting a Hellcat as I want a car as close to the Viper experience as I can get but still be able to bring my family with me. The Hellcat is as close as I could get to that feeling. It's hard to explain but I'd strongly encourage you to drive both before you pull the trigger if you are seriously interested and no, I'm not getting rid of my Viper.

Is the Hellcat faster than a Gen 2 Viper on the street (straight line at least)? Hell yes. But does it feel faster? Not even close. The performance of the Hellcat is extremely tame compared to the Viper and ironically enough the Hellcat is harder to go fast in than the Viper (traction). In other words, the Viper feels more fun to go fast in as you really feel all the forces hitting you.

The best part of the Viper too is that you don't see a million of them every day on the road. Granted you don't see Hellcats all over the place but you see Challengers everywhere (rightfully so as they are great cars). Locally I'll see half a dozen other hellcats on a bad week where I may see 1-2 Vipers a year out on the road.

The only reason to go Hellcat over Viper IMHO outside of needing the back seat is if you are after creature comforts. You wont get any of those in a Gen2 Viper, which for me is part of it's fun. Here's an old picture of mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so this isn't going to be popular on a Hellcat forum but....

If you don't need the backseat get the Viper. I'm actually getting a Hellcat as I want a car as close to the Viper experience as I can get but still be able to bring my family with me. The Hellcat is as close as I could get to that feeling. It's hard to explain but I'd strongly encourage you to drive both before you pull the trigger if you are seriously interested and no, I'm not getting rid of my Viper.

Is the Hellcat faster than a Gen 2 Viper on the street (straight line at least)? Hell yes. But does it feel faster? Not even close. The performance of the Hellcat is extremely tame compared to the Viper and ironically enough the Hellcat is harder to go fast in than the Viper (traction). In other words, the Viper feels more fun to go fast in as you really feel all the forces hitting you.

The best part of the Viper too is that you don't see a million of them every day on the road. Granted you don't see Hellcats all over the place but you see Challengers everywhere (rightfully so as they are great cars). Locally I'll see half a dozen other hellcats on a bad week where I may see 1-2 Vipers a year out on the road.

The only reason to go Hellcat over Viper IMHO outside of needing the back seat is if you are after creature comforts. You wont get any of those in a Gen2 Viper, which for me is part of it's fun. Here's an old picture of mine.

View attachment 569662
I appreciate the insight. I always enjoy out of the box thinking. And that red with black wheeled Viper is mean. I've actually always been a bigger fan of the red with stripes Viper. The final edition poster was on my wall haha

I 100% will use the backseat. And I know my wife will not deal with a Viper as my only car lol My end goal will be to grab a Viper but the current goal is to get a Hellcat and enjoy its craziness along with its real world flexibility.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
708 Posts
I'm different I guess. I didn't buy a 2017-18 Hellcat because of the hood. I knew that the new hood was in development for a while. I am a huge old school muscle car fanatic, and the dual snorkle style hood is a MOPAR calling card that hails back towards the '70 Super Bee. I intentionally waited until they released that hood to custom order mine. I snagged my '20 at the height of the Covid shutdown and saved a mint. But, different strokes for different folks. Just make sure you research the hell out of that used car... there's not much in life more painful than paying for a pricey used car that needs pricey work. But, to get an M6 widebody, you're almost certain to have to get one used.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
19 Posts
My dealer told me the same thing. No regular or widebody 6-speeds at this time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm different I guess. I didn't buy a 2017-18 Hellcat because of the hood. I knew that the new hood was in development for a while. I am a huge old school muscle car fanatic, and the dual snorkle style hood is a MOPAR calling card that hails back towards the '70 Super Bee. I intentionally waited until they released that hood to custom order mine. I snagged my '20 at the height of the Covid shutdown and saved a mint. But, different strokes for different folks. Just make sure you research the hell out of that used car... there's not much in life more painful than paying for a pricey used car that needs pricey work. But, to get an M6 widebody, you're almost certain to have to get one used.
Ain't nothing wrong with being different. Especially if the hood touches a memory to you.

Buying used definitely has me worried to a degree but I figured with PPIs and helpful people in these kind of forums, I'll find the right one.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
107 Posts
Welcome aboard. I went from a 2015 SRT to a 2016 HC and tbh the difference was not earth shattering. I for sure know I'll be getting bashed for my impression but it is what it is. The SRT is basically a HC with less power but is still no slouch. Same brakes, same interior, same suspension, same exhaust, same performance pages, same overall feel. So when I got the HC I was sort of 75+% already there if that makes sense. Felt extremely familiar.
With that being said where you will def notice it is when youre on the gas into triple digits. The HC pulls like a freight train and keeps pulling HARD where the SRT sort of flattens out. And the SC whine - oh the whine. Glorious sound. Also when people ask if it's a HC you can finally say yes without the 30 minute explanation about what an SRT is because no one has heard of it. Sound familiar?
You wont regret it.
After the HC I got a Redeye. another step forward for sure.

This is pretty spot on actually. I’ve driven a 2015 SRT a few times and compared to my Hellcat I can agree with you. Up in that triple digit range the Hellcat definitely pulls harder like a train. Where the 392’s lack in power the Hellcat picks up. Only a few minor ginger bread upgrades since mine is a 2019 717 Cat but relatively all the same. Never experienced the Redeye but I’m sure it’s all the same with just stronger mechanical parts and more power. I’m sure minor performance upgrades to the HC would get you Redeye power easily. OP you will enjoy the Hellcat and welcome.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody 2021 Durango GT
10 Posts
I went from 16 scat pack to 16 hellcat to 20 HCRWB, Power is power and they are all a blast to drive. The most notable difference is the handling of the widebody in my opinion. In my 16 HC in fast cornering my wife and I would sway left and right inside of the cabin darn near hitting each other lol, now taking the same turns in the WB the car is much more planted. As stated you wont regret it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
133 Posts
I had a 2015 SRT 392 and it was a great car. I drove it like I stole it. One day I had a Hellcat next to me and we both left pretty aggressively. The sound of the Supercharger did it for me. I dont drive my 2020 like I stole it as frankly it will kick your ass if your slouching. Never felt that way in the 392. The sound of the Supercharger is intoxicating. Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 Hellcat Widebody Frostbite
4 Posts
Traded my '18 392 Challenger (purchased spring of '19) in late November for the '20 Hellcat WB and haven't missed the 392 for a minute. The 392 was a great car but got predictable real quick. This Hellcat WB is night and day difference, requires your attention always. I drive them hard - always - you will not regret stepping up. When you hit her @ 120kph / 75mph, she wiggles and shoots - traffic simply disappears behind you very quickly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a 2015 SRT 392 and it was a great car. I drove it like I stole it. One day I had a Hellcat next to me and we both left pretty aggressively. The sound of the Supercharger did it for me. I dont drive my 2020 like I stole it as frankly it will kick your ass if your slouching. Never felt that way in the 392. The sound of the Supercharger is intoxicating. Good luck.
I hear ya. My introduction to supercharger whine was a coworker's modified Terminator. Been chasing that dragon ever since haha Looking forward to hearing that whine everyday.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went from 16 scat pack to 16 hellcat to 20 HCRWB, Power is power and they are all a blast to drive. The most notable difference is the handling of the widebody in my opinion. In my 16 HC in fast cornering my wife and I would sway left and right inside of the cabin darn near hitting each other lol, now taking the same turns in the WB the car is much more planted. As stated you wont regret it.
I hadn't considered the handling change with the widebody. Mainly just having the extra meat in the rear figuring it would help with traction. I never felt like my SRT 392 was a slouch in the corners, even for a big girl, but I imagine the extra tire up front helps handle that heavy front end noticeably better.

Y'all getting me even more excited the more I reminisce about my SRT 392 and hear about how much better a WB Hellcat is. Now if only I could find one...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
708 Posts
I hadn't considered the handling change with the widebody. Mainly just having the extra meat in the rear figuring it would help with traction. I never felt like my SRT 392 was a slouch in the corners, even for a big girl, but I imagine the extra tire up front helps handle that heavy front end noticeably better.

Y'all getting me even more excited the more I reminisce about my SRT 392 and hear about how much better a WB Hellcat is. Now if only I could find one...
Well, from experience, the WB and NB Hellcats both have no problem losing traction if you don't drive it right. 275 vs 305 on a 700+ hp car is not enough to overcome a hammerfoot on the throttle. That's why I went NB. The WB is better in the twisties, but I live in Florida. There are no twisties and I can fit larger tires on the NB if I want to and end up saving quite a bit of money.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,861 Posts
bet your happy to be rid of that ugly color 392...... :alien:

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I can fit larger tires on the NB if I want to and end up saving quite a bit of money.
And retain the relatively svelte Challenger aesthetics.
I wonder if even ONE person in the new whatever conglomerate snapped up Chrysler this time is even capable of understanding why real men like Hellcats?
Whether they understand it or not, I hope they don't go full sissy and eliminate them. That would be a massive slam-down of Dodge's corporate image, which is not really tailored to childless skinny euro types.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts