SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t believe really no maintenance- Tranny, plugs, coolant!, nothing? Any problems with cooling fan? I get nervous it will fail one day? If so is the car toast? I’m in a lot of traffic in the summer, fan kicks on a lot!

· Registered
2015 Challenger SRT M6 Hellcat
1,154 Posts
I can’t believe really no maintenance- Tranny, plugs, coolant!, nothing? Any problems with cooling fan? I get nervous it will fail one day? If so is the car toast? I’m in a lot of traffic in the summer, fan kicks on a lot!
Check your maiintenance schedule in your owner's manual. There are some things that should be inspected or changed based upon mileage or age. Changing the differential fluid, spark plugs, coil packs, radiator flush, injector cleaning, and addressing any recalls would be a good starting point. Check the amperage on the battery, brake inspection, checking and addressing cleared DTC's are some other inspection points. Being proactive rather than reactive will cost some $$ up front but will still often be cheaper than waiting for something to fail.

· HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,667 Posts
Is this the first car youve owned with an electric fan?? Pretty much all vehicles now run this way. If it was a problem you would see vehicles on the side off the road left and right. You are severely overthinking.

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, sorry to bother you all, Prozac, WTF, really? How about just being cordial. Just making some statement to create dialog. It’s amazing the manual has no maintenance until around 150k. I do worry about preventive maintenance, I work on old cars with no electric fan which could be a fail point as cars get older I suspect.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,559 Posts
Like a previous post, check your owner's manual, but coolant service interval is 5 years/150,000 Miles. I would also check the bottom of the pressure cap for any signs of oil residue (engine Cold ONLY).

Trans Fluid service on an A8 is lifetime.

Does the pressure cap hold 21 PSI? At Operating Temp, is the top radiator hose rock hard when you pinch it?? Keep fingers away from the fan if you check it with the engine running. Just know that electric fans can come on at anytime.

Sounds like your fan is working/cycling correctly, but Ok, bring up your Coolant Gauge and tell us what the temp range is while in city traffic. Let us know the temp ranges when the fan cycles On & Off.

With a 195 Degree Stat, you'll probably see the temp go up to 205 and then back down to 195-197 when the fan comes on and continue to cycle. You may also see a 210-215 in traffic which is of no concern. Temp Range cycling is the most important to verify.

Can you hear both low and high speed fan modes while in traffic?? With the A/C On??

What fan speeds do you hear and what is the Coolant Temp Range while idling in your driveway with the A/C On??

You'll hear the fan cycling more in traffic/slow speeds than when cruising.

With a 50/50 Antifreeze Mix & a 21 PSI Pressure Cap, you boiling point will be around 100 Degrees higher @ 310-315.

Would also recommend making sure your car has a 195 Degree Factory Stat and nothing lower. The Factory Stat affects the proper thermal expansion of the block as well as proper flow-control for best heat transfer from the block to the coolant.

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like a previous post, check your owner's manual, but coolant service interval is 5 years/150,000 Miles. I would also check the bottom of the pressure cap for any signs of oil residue (engine Cold ONLY).

Trans Fluid service on an A8 is lifetime.

Does the pressure cap hold 21 PSI? At Operating Temp, is the top radiator hose rock hard when you pinch it?? Keep fingers away from the fan if you check it with the engine running. Just know that electric fans can come on at anytime.

Sounds like your fan is working/cycling correctly, but Ok, bring up your Coolant Gauge and tell us what the temp range is while in city traffic. Let us know the temp ranges when the fan cycles On & Off.

With a 195 Degree Stat, you'll probably see the temp go up to 205 and then back down to 195-197 when the fan comes on and continue to cycle. You may also see a 210-215 in traffic which is of no concern. Temp Range cycling is the most important to verify.

Can you hear both low and high speed fan modes while in traffic?? With the A/C On??

What fan speeds do you hear and what is the Coolant Temp Range while idling in your driveway with the A/C On??

You'll hear the fan cycling more in traffic/slow speeds than when cruising.

With a 50/50 Antifreeze Mix & a 21 PSI Pressure Cap, you boiling point will be around 100 Degrees higher @ 310-315.

Would also recommend making sure your car has a 195 Degree Factory Stat and nothing lower. The Factory Stat affects the proper thermal expansion of the block as well as proper flow-control for best heat transfer from the block to the coolant.
I changed my coolant cap already, has a cracked reservoir, original stat, no cooling issues, both fan coming on correct, just hate to get stuck one day. I usually trade in around 90k, but can’t do it now hellcats are too expensive!

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,219 Posts
As the car accumulates miles various things will turn into "wear" items, unless they fail outright.

You mention cooling fan. I had one car that experienced a radiator fan motor shaft failure. The shaft broke. Tech said he had never seen this failure before. Oh, car had less than 50K miles as this was covered under warranty.

Time passes. Several years at least. For some reason I suspected a radiator fan problem. Took the car in and the tech agreed the driver side radiator fan wasn't blowing the same amount of air as the passenger side radiator fan (which was the one that suffered the broken shaft and was replaced).

Tech checked and found no fan stage errors but noted the fan motor was drawing more amps than the other one. He advised the fan more be replaced. I agreed.

With another car the passenger side radiator fan only ran at high speed. This was due to a ballast resistor which failed and in doing so lets the fan run at high speed, its "normal" speed. I had the ballast resistor replaced. Drove that car to 317K miles with no further issues from the radiator fans.

All I can recommend is perform vital fluid services at least on schedule. While Dodge doesn't call for it this includes a brake system fluid flush/bleed every so often. Other car makers scheduled this every 2 years. Based on my experience the fluid does degrade in ~2 years.

Also, based on my auto tech buddies advice -- this decades ago -- I change the coolant every 4 years. Lifetime my ass.

My SOP is to at least follow the schedule the factory provides or to be a bit more proactive and for example instead of waiting until 90K miles to change the transmission/diff fluid have it done at fewer miles, 60K for example.

For the radiator fan and its motor if you change this early you run the risk of the new part failing. What I do is rather than attempting to guess which part will fail next -- you can guess radiator fan, but there's the water pump, or I have had one car two different times develop a bad accessory drive idler roller bearing, plus several cars having the fuel pump go bad or one even required a new alternator: the list is "endless" -- is to just keep an eye on the car, and also listen to it, check for any odors like anti-freeze or gasoline, and if I see or hear or smell something that suggests there is a problem to have this checked out and dealt with ASAP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.