SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had to get my car aligned after screwing it up changing snow tires on 2 side wheels. The car is driving straight again. Is there any way I can adjust the steering wheel myself? I hate taking it back. How is this adjusted? 2015 SRT392

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
855 Posts
Good to hear. Agree with taking it back. It’s not hard from what I understand, but if they did you right on the alignment, have them tweak the wheel for you.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Take it back but if you just want to do it yourself you will just need to adjust the tie rods exactly the same amount to turn the wheels in the same direction the wheel points.

Example - wheel points slightly to left make the drivers tie rod longer and passenger shorter. A little goes a long way so do it at 1/8th a turn at a time between test drives.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,849 Posts
100% take it back.
Terrible shop if they let this slip past them.

Reactions: GR8YTE

·
Registered
2020 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
134 Posts
You should NOT go back.

you need to find a race alignment shop anda guy who knows how to DIAL it in.

Have had my cars aligned many times and they never turned out right.

I got connected with a race shop and suspension guy who is OCD about alignments the way I am about cars and things too.

he worked magic.

if The shop u went to messed it up don’t let them touch it anymore and find a good race shop

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
751 Posts
Hi all,

I had to get my car aligned after screwing it up changing snow tires on 2 side wheels. The car is driving straight again. Is there any way I can adjust the steering wheel myself? I hate taking it back. How is this adjusted? 2015 SRT392
Find a local Goodyear Store and talk to the tech. Tell him your issue. Suggest searching my other posts on Alignment Specs and how to have done. Search on my name with keyword "alignment" for procedures and EXACT specs.

This video should help:

Post your Alignment Printout so we can see.

Best!

·
Registered
2021 widebody Redeye Pitch Black.
521 Posts
That's an easy adjustment, they just need to reset the "toe" adjustment to straighten wheel. It'll take them longer to set up alignment machine than to center the wheel. But I would take it back to have it done correctly.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,382 Posts
Centering the steering wheel is not an automatic thing during an alignment is my experience with various car brands.

Years ago, with my 1st car, I centered the steering wheel by adjust the tie rods. Frosty is right a little adjustment goes a long way. I snuck up on the right amount of adjustment.

I also used a scribe to mark the initial adjustment positions.

Since then when I have a car in for an alignment I try to remember to ask the steering wheel be centered.

My advice would be take the car back and get the steering wheel centered then remember to ask for this at subsequent alignments.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The steering wheel must be put straight when the car is put on the rack.

that is the first part of calibrating this. Then toecan be set so the car does not pull to one side.

If they pull u on the rack and have the slightest turn I the steering wheel they’ll adjust ur toe wrong and the car will pull and wheel not be straight

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dang. I was hoping I could just mark and adjust the tie rod ends 1/16 th of a turn each. Making 1 side shorter and the other longer. It is not horrible just not dead center.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You can.

vezconsumer is actually mistaken. I've been doing my own alignments for years and in that time period my steering wheel lock tool has slipped a few times and I've wound up with the exact problem you have right now with zero pull.

Shoot my Roush has been like that fir a couple months as I've been to lazy to fix it after my suspension rebuild and alignment. Tracks perfect but the wheel is clocked about at the 11 o'clock position. In other word not bad enough for me to deal with it now and just waiting till the next time I have it on the lift fir something.

The wheels don't know how your steering wheel is clocked. The only thing that would be mechanically wrong is the steering wheel sensor will show the car is turning when it's not if it's bad enough.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good luck. There’s a meme out there about the guy in big daddy who does his own alignments. I’ll be sure to post it shortly

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Dang. I was hoping I could just mark and adjust the tie rod ends 1/16 th of a turn each. Making 1 side shorter and the other longer. It is not horrible just not dead center.
If you are going to do a home alignment, I suggest a flat, hard, wet, lawn with enough grass to ruin traction.
roll the car gently to a stop (don't use brakes.) Measure between outsides of tire edges as far forward as you can get and same with rear of tire. Adjust both, roll car backwards for several yards, then forwards again, to a gentle stop. make sure tire edges reflect same distances, adjust until you get your steering wheel where you want it.

The idea of the wet grass is to allow the wheels to settle in their normal travel position, as opposed to grippy concrete which can artificially keep the tires from changing position during adjustment. If you have a flat garage floor, some ball bearings and some steel plates, you can achieve the same effect without going back and forth by putting the front tires on the plates, separated from floor by ball bearings, the way the tire shops have the pads upon which the tires rest.

BTW, if you are in a far-from-a-garage situation, too much toe-out makes the car eager to intitiate a turn, and too much toe-in makes it more reluctant to initiate a turn, as far as feel goes.

With the physics of the suspension, the center of vertical(-ish) pivot axis of the tire is usually inboard, so with non-infinitely-rigid suspension/bushings, the faster you go or the harder you brake, the resistance of road against tire will try to force the wheels to toe out more. The sloppier and mushier the suspension, the more your tires will toe out from road resistance or braking. Not a great deal, of course, but I have often wondered why a shade tree mechanic told me a little bit of toe-out is the best way to have the suspension.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you are going to do a home alignment, I suggest a flat, hard, wet, lawn with enough grass to ruin traction.
roll the car gently to a stop (don't use brakes.) Measure between outsides of tire edges as far forward as you can get and same with rear of tire. Adjust both, roll car backwards for several yards, then forwards again, to a gentle stop. make sure tire edges reflect same distances, adjust until you get your steering wheel where you want it.

The idea of the wet grass is to allow the wheels to settle in their normal travel position, as opposed to grippy concrete which can artificially keep the tires from changing position during adjustment.
This above is important info if you are setting your toe from scratch. Since you are only needing to move things a little bit to get the steering wheel straight it's not necessary but can be helpful. Also, if you don't have an area that will work or you don't want to mess up your yard you can use two pieces of flat metal, plastic or even cardboard. With the metal or plastic you put a little grease between them to help them slide on each other. If you are really going to be taking this on yourself on the regular buy some slip plates. I don't see the ones I have for sale anymore but something like these will work perfect - Quick Trick Alignment 60004 QuickTrick Alignment Turn Plates | Summit Racing

Good luck. There’s a meme out there about the guy in big daddy who does his own alignments. I’ll be sure to post it shortly
Alignments are actually pretty easy to accomplish if you have decent mechanical skills and some patience. It's just basic math and the use of some tools can help make things even easier. You really only need:
Slip Plates - posted a link above
toe plates - Longacre Racing Products 52-79501 Longacre Toe-In Plates | Summit Racing or spend a little extra and get a caster/camber gauge with built in toe capability
Caster/Camber gauge - SPC Performance 91000 SPC Performance FasTrax Camber Caster Gauges | Summit Racing
wheel lock - (this is the part that wasn't done right for the OP) Quick Trick Alignment 416474 QuickTrick Alignment Steering Wheel Holders | Summit Racing

Been doing mine and my families cars for about 7 years now. It takes me anywhere from 2-4 hours to depending on how bad the car is starting from but once done they drive perfect and not one has had tire wear or pulling issues. Those alignment machines make life much easier but they are only as good as the tech using them and the calibration set in them. I got tired of spending $100+ at a shop and having to take it back 2-3 times to get it right and bit the bullet and bought the parts to do it myself. Honestly, the only hard part is on cars with an IRS since you have to set the rear toe correctly in accordance with the front. If you get it off the car will crab walk on you. You can ensure proper front to rear alignment consistency by using the string method, making sure to take in account the cars wheel track differences front and rear. I believe the challenger is the same front and rear but cars like my Viper the front is actually narrower than the rear so you have to add that difference into the equation.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
...Viper the front is actually narrower than the rear so you have to add that difference into the equation.
Ironic, the wider rear track, considering that there is more weight up front, and wider track would be more useful in lowering the angle of the lateral center of gravity triangle of the front end.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts