SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Steps for private HC sale...

1177 33
What is the safest way to receive funds from buyer (cash, bank check, cashiers, etc?) for a California car sell ... and exactly when do I sign over title?
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT M6 Hellcat
938 Posts
Is there a easier way to handle this type of transaction?
In California, you can sell it on consignment with a registered car dealer who have the licenses to process the payoff and transfer title to the new owner. Goes much quicker and smoother, but of course you lose whatever consignment commission the car dealer charges.

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,916 Posts
False, cashier check forging IS NOT a rare thing..
All I can say is that I average 40 or so car trades per year now since 2016. From 2005-2012 I was a new car sales manager at a large Ford dealership in Denver. We sold about 30 cars and trucks cars per week. At no point have I seen a forged cashier's check. It happens, but it is rare in terms of the rate of occurrence. As with most scams, the majority of fraud occurs during the trade of relatively inexpensive things. A person who buys $5,000 cars is a different person that who typically buys $100,000 cars. And, the people selling them are also different.

A rich guy who knows how to manage money, likely knows financial security. They don't fall for scams as often. A person who makes $12/hr selling a Civic with 218,000 miles on it might be excited to get a $5,000 fake check and not even think twice about it. As with almost all crime, the poor are much more susceptible to it because the people that prey on them are also in the same economic demographic. Hellcats and the people who trade them are typically not affected by these common scams. It's rare, it can happen, but it generally doesn't because most of us are educated and know better.

Hellcat owners aren't the ones getting scammed by UPS package rerouting scams, or those "Call now to apply to earn $20/hr working from home" scams. When a person earns the equivalent of $60-$80hr or more, they aren't a target because they don't show up at the gun range, ya know.

·
Banned
1,213 Posts
All I can say is that I average 40 or so car trades per year now since 2016. From 2005-2012 I was a new car sales manager at a large Ford dealership in Denver. We sold about 30 cars and trucks cars per week. At no point have I seen a forged cashier's check. It happens, but it is rare in terms of the rate of occurrence. As with most scams, the majority of fraud occurs during the trade of relatively inexpensive things. A person who buys $5,000 cars is a different person that who typically buys $100,000 cars. And, the people selling them are also different.

A rich guy who knows how to manage money, likely knows financial security. They don't fall for scams as often. A person who makes $12/hr selling a Civic with 218,000 miles on it might be excited to get a $5,000 fake check and not even think twice about it. As with almost all crime, the poor are much more susceptible to it because the people that prey on them are also in the same economic demographic. Hellcats and the people who trade them are typically not affected by these common scams. It's rare, it can happen, but it generally doesn't because most of us are educated and know better.

Hellcat owners aren't the ones getting scammed by UPS package rerouting scams, or those "Call now to apply to earn $20/hr working from home" scams. When a person earns the equivalent of $60-$80hr or more, they aren't a target because they don't show up at the gun range, ya know.
people of all demographics fall for scams, every day, they are NOT rare, nor is check forging…along with bitcoin scams, gift card scams, scams of all types.

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,916 Posts
people of all demographics fall for scams, every day, they are NOT rare, nor is check forging…along with bitcoin scams, gift card scams, scams of all types.
Context is king here. In Tallahassee, the 32310 and 32312 zip codes are where the "money" is at in this city. Do you know how many fraud cases (of all types) that were reported in 2021 in those 2 area codes?

A: 3

Zip code 32306 and 32307 are the downtown area zip codes that cover both FSU and FAMU campuses. Do you know how many fraud cases came out of those 2 zip codes in 2021?

A: 387

In the poor area of Tallahassee, 32301, 76 cases of fraud were reported. This area also has the highest violent crime, theft, burglary, and drug crime rates. So yes, fraud can happen anywhere, but when you understand the demographics and the numbers, one can then assume a risk level to it. People living in well-to-do areas have much less exposure to the risk of crime of all types, as the number 1 indicator of potential crime rate is directly attributed to the economic status of the people and businesses in the area. Thus, you have more fraud, including fraudulent cashier's checks, in poor areas and far less occurrences in more upwardly mobile areas.

Risk analysis is key to any business decision. You can't assume an exposure to risk in your local area, for example, if you simply get all your data from CNN or Fox News. A murder might happen in your zip code once every 5 years, but if you go off national stats that show an increase in murder rates, then your perceived level of risk assuming it being high, is wrong. The same applies to these sorts of things. Fraud in the luxury car market is overall very rare. It happens, rarely. Whereas fraud in some form or another on FB marketplace vehicle purchases is almost normal.

Reactions: StingrazerTexas

·
Registered
Jailbreak delivered 11/9
140 Posts
Selling my Rv. Crook in New York overnighted me two separate pool company checks with the same check numbers.
Pool company was legit. Checks were fraudulent. Crook has you deposit the check with an extra amount for shipping and you are to pay the shipping company ( Crooks) a money order.
Days later your account is deducted for the bad check.
I actually talked to the crook, when I received his checks. I knew better than to deposit the check. Too good to be true, is a big red flag. Local Sheriff is a friend, said nothing he could do.
I told the crook would happen to him if he showed up in Texas. I still have his checks as a reminder.

·
Banned
1,213 Posts
Selling my Rv. Crook in New York overnighted me two separate pool company checks with the same check numbers.
Pool company was legit. Checks were fraudulent. Crook has you deposit the check with an extra amount for shipping and you are to pay the shipping company ( Crooks) a money order.
Days later your account is deducted for the bad check.
I actually talked to the crook, when I received his checks. I knew better than to deposit the check. Too good to be true, is a big red flag. Local Sheriff is a friend, said nothing he could do.
I told the crook would happen to him if he showed up in Texas. I still have his checks as a reminder.
what would happen? On a side note, not a new scam but it’s treading back up is thieves are cloning legitimate business checks with the real routing and account numbers, cashing them, it takes about a month before they are discovered fraudulent. Worst part is most banks have a 30day time limit to report fraud, fall outside that time limit and the customer that was scammed is on the hook for that money. The scammers go after medium to large size businesses as they move the most amount of money, pushing the odds the fraudulent checks won’t be discovered and they get away with it for months before the account gets closed

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
489 Posts
Sold Hellcat. Meeting at his credit union. I sign title over. Cedit Union issues check directly to me. Safe? Any risk on my part?
Very little, but you could also ask the Credit Union to cash the check and take cash...but carrying that much cash is sort of risky. Sounds like you are in a good spot though.

·
Banned
‘16 A8 Shaker
3,116 Posts
Half of the high five’in mf in the whole wide world chime in, most worried about getting there cash before giving dude the signed title, but not one of you explained the most dangerous part of selling that car or what he oughta do to protect himself from it!

RELEASE OF LIABILITY form brother. You get it AND file it at the DMV. I’m broke dick but don’t want my name on anything any of you knuckleheads are driving lol. Someone already said it but I’ll say it again - that thing is in your name until buyer goes the DMV with the money for the taxes and does the transfer…

OR until you fill that ^^^ out

Way quicker than going to AAA and holding his cock I mean hand. He may not even have the funds to pay the tax at that point. Not my problem

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
489 Posts
Half of the high five’in mf in the whole wide world chime in, most worried about getting there cash before giving dude the signed title, but not one of you explained the most dangerous part of selling that car or what he oughta do to protect himself from it!

RELEASE OF LIABILITY form brother. You get it AND file it at the DMV. I’m broke dick but don’t want my name on anything any of you knuckleheads are driving lol. Someone already said it but I’ll say it again - that thing is in your name until buyer goes the DMV with the money for the taxes and does the transfer…

OR until you fill that ^^^ out

Way quicker than going to AAA and holding his cock I mean hand. He may not even have the funds to pay the tax at that point. Not my problem
WIthout knowing what state the Seller/Buyer are in, one cannot recommend state specific laws to look out for. I've never heard of what you are talking about, it does nto exist in the northeast. When we sell a car to a third party we take the bill of sale to the DMV (plates are optional) and all the registration is released out of your name. Then you go to your town hall with that DMV receipt and your taxes now stop accruing. What the Buyer does has nothing to do with the Seller. Makes no sense if a Person A sells a car Person B that Person A still owns the car until Person B registers it? What if person B intends to make it an offroad vehicle and not register it, then you own the car for life? What if he intends to part it out. California is such an illogical place.

·
Banned
‘16 A8 Shaker
3,116 Posts
If you read his post you know what state he is in cuz he says so

He’s in the land of Milf’s and Honey’s : )

21 - 34 of 34 Posts